TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: SoC guitar!

SoC guitar!

I justfelt like sharing that I've just started learning the guitar, and after being taught the simple versions of Tears in Heaven and The Times They Are A-Changin', I dove straight into figuring out how to play some of the Stalker guitar tunes. With the aid of some helpful person having posted the audio files:
    http://files.filefront.com/stalker+g.../fileinfo.html

Most of them don't seem to have tabs on the internet, but I figured out number 3 from a youtube video. I'm currently trying to learn number 10 by ear - my brother figured out the first chord, but we're stumped past that.

For those who are interested, I've read that you should tune the guitar down 1.5 steps (drop C sharp tuning, apparently) for most of the songs. However, I've found that tune 3 plays just as well in regular tuning - it's obviously a little higher, but still sounds great. I play it-

Finger A minor, pick strings 5, 3, 2, 1 slowly

Finger F and pick strings 6, 3, 2, 1

Next is a G major, but with your fourth finger on string 2 at 3rd fret (not sure what this chord is called :P), and again pick 6, 3, 2, 1

Repeat, then repeat again but picking 1, 2, 3 this time

When you get to the G chord, strum it and then repeat the A/F/G pattern, strumming instead of picking. You can leave the 2nd string empty in the A chord sometimes to add variety.

At one point, you launch into an alternation between C major and the G chord, then back to A minor. Strum A minor for a while, adding a finger on the 1st string, 3rd fret for emphasis once. And you're home.

Obviously you need to listen to the recording to get the specifics and strums :P.

As for number 10, we've figured that the first chord is a G minor, but we're completely stuck on the others.
    Last edited by Bakerman; 18th Sep 2009 at 10:03.

When I saw the title I thought someone managed to make the guitar in SoC playable somehow (play the tunes the stalkers are playing).

Anyway, congrats on learning the tunes. Wish I could help, but I've got almost no knowledge on how to read guitar picks and such. I say almost, because I can play a couple of tunes, but only by ear and without actually knowing which notes I touch, just going with the flow.

Song 10 goes...

(standard E tuning)

F#m Bm C#

F#m Bm E

Let me know if you have trouble with any others.

*edit*

and just if you were curious, the G chord you mentioned with the 2nd string being fingered at the third fret (which would be a D note) is still a regular G chord, just an alternative way to play it.
    Last edited by polytourist97; 17th Sep 2009 at 21:40.

Xenith - that would be the ultimate ;P. Sorry to disappoint.

polytourist - thanks for the tips! That C# is dastardly :P. On one guitar site I couldn't find any reference to a G chord being played that way. It works well enough to play it regularly when strumming, but when you pick the notes you need that D note.

Thanks for the offer - though I'd hesitate to ask you for all of them . I think I'll work on what I've got and see how many I can figure out by ear. Probably not many, but it'll be fun.

Where did these songs come from originally? I was under the impression that they were written for the game, but some things I've read suggest they're more like traditional tunes.
    Last edited by Bakerman; 18th Sep 2009 at 01:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post
    Where did these songs come from originally? I was under the impression that they were written for the game, but some things I've read suggest they're more like traditional tunes.
    They all are traditional tunes.

With the aid of some helpful person having posted the audio files:
    http://files.filefront.com/stalker+g.../fileinfo.html
    Nice, thanks for the link! Pity they're just short tunes.

Edit: Hold on, I recognised the 8th track. I've got it on an old album I recorded from vinyl to the computer, In Moscow, by Francis Goya. It's an album of interpretations of Slavic folk songs, Russian, Ukrainian, and a couple unspecified, done with a lead guitar, background orchestra and chorus. The song is called "Gipsy" on it. If anyone's interested, I have found one song from the same album on Youtube, Moscow Evenings.

Reminds me I still have to finish up work on that recording. The record had seen better days, so I've got various pops and cracks to try and filter out, and I still need to cut it in tracks, as right now it's just two recordings, one for each side.
    Last edited by Ostriig; 18th Sep 2009 at 22:19. Reason: Good album, highly recommended.

The video isn't working for me at the moment, sadly. I'd be interested to find out about the actual tunes before they were used in the game (especially their names).

That recording sounds interesting. Is Goya the Belgian one? I'm sure I've heard the name before, but I connected it with a different personality entirely...

Oh. Found another youtube of seemingly the same song - but I don't recognise it, maybe because it's on the accordion. EDIT: Or because it's not the same song .
    Last edited by Bakerman; 20th Sep 2009 at 05:55.

Oh. Found another youtube of seemingly the same song - but I don't recognise it, maybe because it's on the accordion.
    The song is called Moscow Nights

Arg . Thanks for pointing that out.

Is Goya the Belgian one?
    Yeah, that's him. You can find the album as In Moscow on Amazon, looks like a 2000 release. The version I've got is a 1982 Russian release.