TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

I've actually just started a short module on forensic science, and I'm keeping an eye out for FM inspiration.

You know, a thread for FM ideas where we pool together snippets of knowledge from science, politics, mythology, etc, would be a pretty interesting idea - even if just a fun and slightly related - distraction.

I am pretty much done with the terrain and now I have exactly 28 cells left to spend on decorations. Next up is to try and reduce the cell count and check out my coplanar-warnings that went up to six while building the last remaining terrain (I skipped one planned area and used existing brushes instead).

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010

November, 10th, 2010 Fm Progress

Progress on" Dark is the Lair". Some passage ways I built this a.m. using Watcher's Torch, and the Pfire.tga, and some custom textures. Good luck qolelis! Thats what I call using up all the resources

Heres the same passage way with alittle trim.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 11th Nov 2010 at 01:33.

Desperately dodgy geezer

A small office in the enlarged Hammer church (which is now a full-sized mission, thanks to Random_Taffer's amazing work on it; I gave him only a small chapel with one wing). This is DCE, mission 7, Waking The Dead.

And here it is with the overhead light on.

Archivist
    Beautiful work there

darthsLair: nice tunnel.

darthsLair: It can look better if tunnel be little bit darker and dirtier

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    [IMG]This is DCE, mission 7, Waking The Dead.
    Mission 7? I always though DCE was like 2-3 missions.

Thanks Phantom !

@Shadowhide, You mean dirty Hammerites ? They just freshly built their tunnels with Hammer and Chizel !

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by redface View Post
    Mission 7? I always though DCE was like 2-3 missions.
    It was originally 1, then it was 2, and by 2005 it had become 4. Then in 2008 we rewrote the story (again) and it became 9. There are only 3 base maps, though, so they get reused a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    It was originally 1, then it was 2, and by 2005 it had become 4. Then in 2008 we rewrote the story (again) and it became 9. There are only 3 base maps, though, so they get reused a bit.
    Nine missions with twenty missions worth of dialogue!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    Nine missions with twenty missions worth of dialogue!

Now I have only three coplanar-warnings left: The first two I solved explicitly by a slight rebuild and the third disappeared when I changed two short set of stairs into ramps to save cells. I wouldn't be overly surprised if the remaining three are caused by my many long, winding stairs, but I'm going to let them be for now.

I now have 113 cells left (28559 cells in total), which means I could try and add some more caves (and then use objects for decorations), but that will have to wait until tomorrow and first I will take care of other, more important, stuff in my todo-list.

Good luck on finishing and testing your missions qolelis. You are getting dromed down to a science !
    Looking forward to playing your campaign.

Thank you! I'm not sure crazy is a science though

It's been a good day - it ended badly, but no, all in all, it really has been a good day. I've lowered the cell count a lot and have been able to add a lot of details (some of the deleted details will later be done with objects), changed to better fitting textures, added more caves etc... The last thing I did was trying to simplify a bridge and make it look better, and except for this tiny little teeny-weeny error, I think I did well. I will rebuild the bridge tomorrow, but now I at least know what I want it to look like - I just need to build it more cleanly.

November 13th,2010

Putting objects in Cathedral where the Hammerites will feel at home not too far from the Lair.
    Robin, that is your Cool looking Bell Textures ! Now it really looks like a Bell ! Thankyou !
    Last edited by darthsLair; 15th Nov 2010 at 18:33.

That looks great - your choice of colors gives off an air of elegance, but also a slight air of having too much money to spend. Is it possibly part of some rich noble's private chapel? I'm not sure the Hammers would build something like that for themselves!?

Edit:
    I am finally done with all the terrain for mission 2. The bridge mentioned earlier took longer to fix than I thought, mostly due to DromEd being in a passive aggressive mood (errors only showed up when processing everything and not when processing only the bridge area, even though the errors were in fact caused by the bridge area).

(DromEd: No-no, I'm fine! Everything's okay! Really!
    Me: Are you sure everything's alright!
    - Yes, I promise!
    - You look a little upset...
    - No, I'm not upset.
    - I know I was spending a lot of time with other software yesternight, but I thought you were okay with that...
    - Why wouldn't I be!? They're your friends, right?
    - Okay then, I'll just continue building my little bridge here.
    - Yeah, go ahead, I'm not going to complain about anything.
    - DromEd sits quiet in a corner, seemingly content, while I spend a good part of the evening building a nice bridge and all sorts of other stuff, foolishly thinking that everything is okay between me and DromEd.

Then, a good part of the evening later, when I am just done with everything, DromEd has second thoughts: Hmmm... come to think of it, I don't think I am very happy with your behaviour lately, after all... so I am now going to throw away everything you have worked on for so long and you can forget me telling you exactly what's wrong - you will just have to guess until you get it right.)

I had forgot about a number of support pillars for another bridge, that I had built out of solids, but was going to replace with objects. Deleting those (and replacing them with objects) gave me a whole lot of extra cells, getting me below the cell limit. So, now I have 322 cells left to spend on any future decorational needs.

Next up is starting on the third mission: I haven't built anything for it yet, but it is going to be a small countryside mansion with surroundings. I'm getting inspiration for it from Bicknell's Victorian Buildings. I'm also going to look for more information about how individual households took care of heating et cetera in the victorian era.
    Last edited by qolelis; 15th Nov 2010 at 11:03.

Thanks qolelis, Actually it looks more drab ingame. The Hammerites will need this Cathedral to thwart the Evil that exists in the Lair's Bowels. The Tunnels I showed earlier lead from the Cathedral to the Bowels of the Lair.

Edit: Great qolelis, You manage your map very well ! Third mission? Wow ! You are getting to know the temperment of Drommy (DromZilla) very nicely. It does take alot getting used to. For me, 7 years and I am still not Dromed's best friend yet, and probably will never be.

Good luck on your Country Side Mansion. I am sure you will build a grand one.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 14th Nov 2010 at 16:46.

Just started my first ever mission in Dromed. Stay tuned for clueless noob questions.

Quote Originally Posted by darthsLair View Post
    The Hammerites will need this Cathedral to thwart the Evil that exists in the Lair's Bowels. The Tunnels I showed earlier lead from the Cathedral to the Bowels of the Lair.
    That sounds interesting, it sounds like you're building some kind of Maw-like thing

Yep, pretty similar, I might live to regret it though, as it is about 10,000,000 units in size. The missxx.mis file is already 27 megs, and I have only placed 400 objects out of 2500. Most of the AI have been created. Alot of them Custom. It will however utilize the entire Hammerite Developement kit. ( It is so Cool ! )

Originally it was over 1,000x1000x1000 units, and I had to delete over 500 terrain brushes before it would compute path find. I would hate to have to split it into 2 missions, but I guess I will play by ear for awhile yet.

I am sure it will take a month or two to beta-test it.

Here is alittle more completion, after adding a Ham Rug Strip, and Some of Zontik's King Sale Benches.

I lost some color, but it really doesn't look over fancy ! Used Zontik's 8 candle Chandalier, and Columns. Some custom Stained Glass.
    Here is the last one with stained glass windows. Cathedral Finished !
    Last edited by darthsLair; 15th Nov 2010 at 18:35.

Okay, that looks a bit less fancy. I think though that those pillars look a bit too fragile to carry the weight of the beams (unless they are just for decoration (for which I have gotten the impression that the Hammers don't care much (that might just be me, though))). Would making them thicker spoil it? (Don't get me wrong, it looks great. I'm just not used to associating that look with the Hammers.)

I've just started planning how to build the third mission in my campaign, looking at floorplans, reading about how to build your own root cellar, learning about different kinds of pantrys etc etc... I also added some details to the second mission.

Extrapolating from mopgoblins method, I built this 64-sided cylinder just for fun:

Not sure why but I just made these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM-szCcWqo0

Each vein is 24 models of animation. I made 4 objects that corpse link to one another. Each object has a models tweq that runs through 6 models. The model tweqs are set to "slay" on completion. Using this method, you could pretty much have as many frames of animation that you'd ever want.
    Last edited by Sliptip; 16th Nov 2010 at 01:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliptip View Post
    Not sure why but I just made these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM-szCcWqo0

Each vein is 24 models of animation. I made 4 objects that corpse link to one another. Each object has a models tweq that runs through 6 models. The model tweqs are set to "slay" on completion. Using this method, you could pretty much have as many frames of animation that you'd ever want.
    Not only it is a very interesting idea, but also it looks great!!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    And I'm even more excited because of what mission it's for! I can imagine how you're using those, Slip. Very cool!

Rob and I have been trying to figure out what to do in this largish room in the DCE church, and then I saw the praying monk statue in Ricebug's latest mission and decided to Hammer-ize it and use it like so:

They're 20 units high, not counting the base they're standing on. Cool thing is from the far balcony, you can jump on top of their heads.
    Unfortunately, I have another identical room to fill with some big thing. I'm thinking of making another statue by enlarging a hammer mesh about 3-4x, stonifying his texture and posing him in, say, a combat stance.

Terry, please let me know who made that statue so I can credit properly. Is it one of the models taken from SSSE?

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliptip View Post
    Looks great

Page 134 of 316 FirstFirst ... 3484899499104109114119124129130131132133134135136137138139144149154159164169174179184234 ... LastLast