TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Deep in the darkest recesses of the internet ...

Deep in the darkest recesses of the internet ...

... lurks Dan Schmidt, reminiscing about those good old bugs of yore: Ultima Underworld bugs.

I don't really know enough about UW to comment, but hopefully someone here is interested.

The Architect
    He missed the biggest, bestest bug!

jtr7

I guess he hasn't touched base with Tim in awhile?
    http://www.timstellmach.com/?p=218

Administrator
    Thanks for the link, Chade - always good to see info from one of the UW developers. As Digital Nightfall says, however, he doesn't discuss a pretty major bug - the inventory corruption problem. That one was particularly annoying, hitting me near the end of the game on my first playthough.

The Architect
    That's not the bug I am talking about.

I believe the inventory problem didn't show up until faster systems and new processor types blew up the way UW was coded. The one I mean was more like an exploit that could actually make the game more entertaining... provided you've already beaten it three times, that is.

Administrator
    Serves me right for jumping to conclusions... I only had a 33MHz 486 when I ran into the inventory bug - which although not slow at the time shouldn't have been fast enough to cause the problem if it was due to CPU speed. From what I seem to remember, the bug was more likely to come about if you threw items in lava or water and that it was a linked list memory bug.

So, I'm intrigued about which one you're referring to. Do you mean the wand / potion destruction bug?