TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hollywood's gonna rape Roadside Picnic

Quote Originally Posted by icarus-liquorice View Post
    (one that is pleasing and awesome everytime you see it)
    I wouldn't mind if it also, you know, had something to do with the source material. I think Children of Men is the closest thing I've seen to my ideal Stalker/Roadside Picnic movie. The whole single-take thing that went on was just spectacular... really made the whole thing incredibly naturalistic. The violence was brutal without being exploitative (which I really appreciated!), the mostly music-less atmosphere was by turns creepy and vaguely comforting, and while I didn't get too much from the protagonist, most of the characters were pretty good. ("You're a fascist pig!")

I just got done taking a russian film class at my uni last semester, and some of the cultural differences between th US and former Soviet Union are going to be wholly lost if it is made by an America media group. It would feel transgendered or something. Perhaps if a Russian director were allowed to make the film?

Also, Boris Strugatsky is still alive! I wonder what he would do if he had some facet of the project in his hands?

I recently rented the Andrei Tarkovsky Stalker film from Netflix and watched it. Its a slow-paced creepy film, but if you're in the mood its very enjoyable and interesting. Those times in SoC when you're moving slowly in the night, it really captures the feeling of the movie quite well.

Has anyone read the book?

I`ve read it as a kid ...grew up in Poland, and back then we didn`t have much access to western SciFi, so Russian authors were quite big. Don`t remember much apart from the mood...and anyway that version I had was heavily messed up and even re-written by censors.

Tracking down the version approved by the authors would require some research I guess...but even the "normal" one + film are much recommended to get into the vibe of STALKER bit more. This game in my ranking sits next to Thief/SS1&2/FO3 not only because I love it`s mechanics, but because it manages to create an incredible mood - something that I seldom `get` in videogames.

Eastern Europe fashioned some certain style of gallows humour & cheerful fatalism at the Communist time...and you can sort of find it in the game too. Plus, the environments are spot on - it`s not only Chernobyl, this sort of "look" goes on everywhere in the region...

Didn`t know about the film project...and I wish I didn`t - so this bit of info goes quickly to join "Akira" remake in my mind`s trash bin.

I`m more worried for Stalker 2 vs The Consoles thingy :/

Cool, I'll definitely have to get my hands on a copy.

Wow, on amazon the special edition is selling for as much as $200

You can get english translations in quite a few old 'sci-fi classics' sort of series. I've seen it in second hand book stores a couple of times. There's also one floating around on the net, which I think is from one of these. The preface and translator's foreword don't seem to suggest it was censored in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahandar View Post
    I recently rented the Andrei Tarkovsky Stalker film from Netflix and watched it. Its a slow-paced creepy film, but if you're in the mood its very enjoyable and interesting.
    You may like Solaris too.

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    You may like Solaris too.
    Thanks, I'll check it out...

Actually, it looks like there are two Solaris films on Netflix, both based on the same book. Do you recommend the 1972 or 2002 film first? (I'll probably watch both)

Taking a break
    I didn't see either but I'd go with the older one.

Both films are worth watching, which is kind of a compliment to Soderbergh. Start with Tarkovski's version though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahandar View Post
    Thanks, I'll check it out...

Actually, it looks like there are two Solaris films on Netflix, both based on the same book. Do you recommend the 1972 or 2002 film first? (I'll probably watch both)

If we`re going deeper, start with the original novel by Stanislaw Lem (the geezer that Philip K Dick thought to be a communist brainwashing construct). It`s bit more coherent than films (but only a "bit")

I'd go the other way, for a change. Watch the films first. Lem didn't like either of them, particularly for the way they foregrounded the love story aspects over the harder sci fi elements (almost completely in Soderberg's case). But they both make for very good cinematic works in themselves.
    If you watch them before the book it's easier to enjoy them for what they are.

(Roadside Picnic is different. It really has no relationship to the film except the Zone itself so Stalker can't really be described as an adaptation at all. Derivation is probably a better word for it)