TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: UU1 for the first time!

UU1 for the first time!

So I picked this up from Good Old Games, and thought I'd throw my impressions down here rather than in a megathread.

I created a Paladin, with the aim of trying a mix of magic and melee. One thing I really don't miss in these old RPGs is randomised attributes - it basically amounts to a penalty for unwillingness to sit and click through the same process 20 times over.

That aside, positive impressions so far. I can see how advanced the engine was for 1992, a clear step more realistic than Wolfenstein 3d.

Am still running around the first floor. Learning curve is fairly gentle so far, nothing I can't beat up with my rusty shortsword.

One odd thing - the character footsteps sound effect is like two low notes on a piano. Is it meant to be like that or is the sound configured wrongly?

The Architect
    Nope, that's right for the sound.

It's nice to see someone who never played the game enjoying it.

I cheated a bit myself with the randomized attributes. I was only allowed to play an hour or so every day back then, (1992 was it? I was 11.) which meant that my father finished the game in about two weeks, and I was still running around in the early stages. The result is that I got to use all of the notes he took on specific skill mantras and new spells and so forth, so I didn't need to worry about the random stuff.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimpy Chompy View Post
    ... thought I'd throw my impressions down here rather than in a megathread.
    I wish more people did the same - at least for games that have forums dedicated to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimpy Chompy View Post
    One odd thing - the character footsteps sound effect is like two low notes on a piano. Is it meant to be like that or is the sound configured wrongly?
    That's an artefact of having a MIDI device selected for sound. The game used some MIDI extensions to send sound data to a Roland MT32 or LAPC-1 which would then play alternatives to the piano notes you're hearing. You should be able to run uinstall and change the sound card to a SoundBlaster Pro to improve matters (you may then need to run uwsound as well - but it works without that for me), but I think the music then reverts to Adlib style which is poorer.

Megathread, here?

Same here on seeing someone new to the game. More people need to play this game. It's still great after all this time. I hope you continue and tell us all about the play through.

A bit of a spoiler... Lore is by far the most under appreciated skill. It's worth focusing in on that one.

I read that as "Love" at first :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chimpy Chompy
    This is an easy fix. Not sure why GOG put those configurations in.

To summarize the process, go into wherever you installed UW into and then into UNDEROM1\DATA and open up UW.cfg with notepad. Change the values to the following: 2 7 220 1 sound2 7 220 1 speech0 cuts

That works for UW2 as well. Just go into UNDEROM2 etc

More info here if required: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/ultima_u...ng_music/post8

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    I cheated a bit myself with the randomized attributes.
    I was thinking more of Strength and Dexterity - I believe these are fixed at the start?

Question about mantras - how often can you use them? Once per level-up?

Administrator
    From memory the number of times you can use mantras in UW1 is linked to experience points more than to the levels themselves. It's particularly helpful later in the game as it means you can still use shrines even though you level up much more slowly.

I switched to Soundblaster sound and got some rather weedy pfft tpp bllt type noises for doors, sword swings etc. I might go back to the midi!

I'm now on the second floor. Sadly at about lvl5 I was not a match for the mighty gazer, so I went and killed some goblins instead, levelled a bit and found a longsword. So I'll have another bash at him soon.

I'm also constantly at about full carrying capacity, so looting is fairly limited. I have a crown, a sceptre and some gems and hope to find someone offering cool stuff in barter. (I've noticed that few NPCs carry cash).

I remember that gazer. Yeah, it's a mini boss battle at early levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I read that as "Love" at first
    Heh. That too...

I'm still at it! Slowly. I got distracted by the CSI Miami game. (DON'T JUDGE ME. I've somehow become a CSI addict in the past few months).

Anyway! On floor 5 now. Found the bits for the sword of justice and Shak is hammering away. Killed the Chaos Knight. My combat "tactics" so far are cast the mid-level shield spell and then charge in hacking wildly.

Lack of carrying capacity is pissing me off a little. I started with as high strength as seemed possible (after 30-odd attempts) and can't see a full suit of plate being feasible.

Is there any numerical info out there on weapon\armour strengths? The manual tells you the relative strength of common weapons, ie broadsword>longsword>shortsword>dagger but I have a "jewelled sword" off the chaos knight guy and am hoping it's better than a longsword (cos I chucked that away).

is Best Pony
    I guess you could say that the loot from that Knight has left you ...

in the dark.

yeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh