TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horse and Carriage Prop ? Need for prop.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010

Horse and Carriage Prop ? Need for prop.

Hi fellow Taffers,

Completing a search rendered only Ricebug, and Naks having some type of horse/carriage objects. Can anyone shed any light on this?

My intent is to use as a simple prop only. No animation. Bummmmmerrrrrrr!

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i made a gypsy wagon, not what you wanted, there is a carriage in two missions, the beginning of cosas mission x, and rose cottage i think.

And if I remember correctly in the first mission of Dracula and somewhere in Bathory there were horses and carriages.

Thanks Jason and Ali, I will check those out and seek permission to use them. Cool !!

King's Story has those objects. Mission X has a carriage at the start, as does Rose Cottage. The latter two might be the same object.

Thanks Robin, I have looked in Rose Cottage, and these will do nicely.

I emailed Naks to ask him if he was ever going to release his mission, The Rustler, which has an animated horse and carriage in it. I'll let you know if he answers.

Naks really has the only option for how to animate a quadruped model there, but it's a valid one; use stims or a ModelState to change the model for each frame of movement animation. If you put in the effort to create enough frames, you could make a very smooth and nice-looking motion. His horse-drawn carriage looks great from his video, but the horse could stand to have at least 4 frames, rather than just 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    I emailed Naks to ask him
    "her"!

I just received an email from Naks. She's been busy with RL issues, but promised that she'll try and release The Rustler soon. Her plans for expanding the mission are apparently cancelled. I told her that her horse animation was an item of interest, and that some of us would like to use it in our own missions.

BTW, there are some free static horse models over at Turbo Squid.

Thankyou Terry, thats good news. It will be great to learn how she did that. Also, the community should have some quadriped models working soon. Ai riding horses would be too cool !

Quote Originally Posted by darthsLair View Post
    Also, the community should have some quadriped models working soon.
    How do you figure?

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    I can't find the thread, but somebody was close to finishing a working quadriped model.

Oh, here we go, Mr. seventyfour was working on it.

I recall the thread, but from what I recall, he was working on a cat, not a horse. On top of that, he has been too busy to work on it since about July, iirc.

I'm not intending to hijack the thread, but felt like it was time for a little heads-up.

Direct link if embedding doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by scarykitties View Post
    I recall the thread, but from what I recall, he was working on a cat, not a horse. On top of that, he has been too busy to work on it since about July, iirc.
    It was a dog, and I've actually made some progress in the meantime, albeit somewhat sluggish.
    Still it acts more as a proof of concept, showing that it IS possible to create any kind of quadruped model for thief, within certain limits.

Mesh in unposed position with joints and planes overlayed.

The biggest problem I've ran into this far is that you, due to the simplicity of the original creature types, would have to do some choices of what kind limbs to keep.
    Using a biped as type, you can get a flexible spine, 4 triple jointed extremities and a simple single joint, which is the technical reason the dog in the video got a cropped tail.
    This could be avoided using the creature type for spiders (<8 triple + 1 simple limb), but that would mean having to sacrifice the back joint.

To answer the question of when it's ready for FMs, it all depends on what functionality is needed.
    In this stage I could theoretically release it as sort of a walking prop with walking and idling motions relatively soon, while creating full motion sets compatible for combat and investigation would take some time.
    Last edited by seventyfour; 27th Dec 2011 at 20:16.

... That is absolutely FANTASTIC! Holy crap!

I'd hate to adjust those joint planes, though. Yeesh!

Do whatever you need! Anything we can do to help (or encourage you)?

Quote Originally Posted by seventyfour View Post
    I'm not intending to hijack the thread, but felt like it was time for a little heads-up.
    Awesome! Are you going to tackle the different gaits that quadrupeds have as they increase their speed, or just speed up the walk gait? I can easily see how what you have right now could be used for a four legged monster . . . the stiffness of the current motion really lends itself to terror IMHO.

Keep up the GREAT work!!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Are you going to tackle the different gaits that quadrupeds have as they increase their speed [...] ?
    That's the plan, yes.
    Apart from the slowly pacing motion I showed above, I've got a rough motion where it's running in a more leaping manner. I'm not sure if the engine could handle more incremental speeds in between those though, as the original creatures also only got two different types of standard locomotion (walking and running).

That would work quite well for an attack-type quadruped: walk until it gets Garrett's scent, then gallop to attack swiftly. For a horse & carriage, walk and trot gaits would be more appropriate. You NEVER gallop a horse when hitched (outside of a Western movie). It is way too dangerous. In fact, a lot of serious training goes into teaching the horses that they are not allowed to canter or gallop when hitched. So much so that a really well trained carriage horse would never do so.

Damn. This is exciting!

I think most of us would be completely satisfied with a basic idling motion and a trot. Just the fact that a horse is in Thief is amazing enough. Create other motions later on down the line. GORT's a pretty good motion editor guy. He could probably whip some up if we can tear him away from his campaign-in-progress.

While an animated horse would certainly be neat, I don't know why everyone keeps pining for horses. A horse doesn't, in my opinion, have nearly the potential of a canine, which could have tons of potential as dogs, wolves, and various other twisted or creative versions for horror and such. What can a horse do? I assume the horse wouldn't be a common enemy; that would be rather silly. So basically, it's just for the special effect of a horse pulling a cart (which can be simulated by the means described above; there are greater issues to a horse pulling a cart than just the horse's movement, such as the sharp turning rate of the cart when it is attached to an AI that would spin rapidly), or maybe of an AI riding the horse.

It seems to me that the attention should be more focused on the canine as that has greater gameplay potential, IMO.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    back to the original topic, did you find a suitable carriage? i'm done with the ai meshes i've been working on, and am building regular simple objects again, i could model out a nice carriage in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by seventyfour View Post
    ...creating full motion sets compatible for combat and investigation would take some time.
    I also think it would be necessary for motions that involve prone and sleeping positions, after all dogs like to be lazy and wouldn't just pace around forever. I'm sure you're already hard at work on that anyway, this looks to be a huge undertaking and you've done an outstanding job so far!

Quote Originally Posted by scarykitties View Post
    It seems to me that the attention should be more focused on the canine as that has greater gameplay potential, IMO.
    I agree with this, the only thing I would use a horse for is to have it stand in a stable and eat straw, just for atmosphere. Horses don't really fit the bill for Thief's AI alert system either, a dog could run and alert guards, and horse would just drop a deuce in the street....wait, that's a great idea...let's make a horse!

Them there horse apples ! An apple a day....

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55 View Post
    back to the original topic, did you find a suitable carriage? i'm done with the ai meshes i've been working on, and am building regular simple objects again, i could model out a nice carriage in a few days.
    Hi Jason, Yes, I used the one from Saturnine's Rose Cottage. I just blended the rear window to remove the morgue advertising. The only problem being for a horse drawn carriage is the blocks under all 4 wheels. I used 0.0,0, in Paint Shop to make them near invisible.
    This will work fine,as it will move away from the player rather quickly. It should not be too noticeable. The only thing that is laciking would be the Rigging from the Horse to the Carriage if observed from a side view.

It would however be excellent to have a buggy type carriage that had axle's for all 4 wheels that would allow a reasonably good simulation of rotating wheels as it moves from a side view. If the buggy were made with the rigging so the rigging would fit just behind the front legs of the horse.

In my latest mission, I have the big black carriage moving away from the player with a horse in front of it. 2- horizontal vators. The Player can only get a glimpse of the horse for a slight second. The other Carriage is just a prop. We have always known that the main mode of transportation in Thief is horse and carriage. That is according to the OM cutscenes showing horses and carriages. In TDS you can hear the horses and Carriages only.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 29th Dec 2011 at 20:59.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast