TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: You know the end times are near when cats learn to fly

You know the end times are near when cats learn to fly

Behold, the Orvillecopter:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...illed-car.html

Honestly, I can't say if I feel more amused or disturbed by this. On one side I think it's freaking hilarious, especially with the cat's facial expression of eternal surprise, on the other hand... how crazy do you need to be to turn your once beloved and now departed pet into a helicopter?

I don't know what to say about that one. Wow.

You can get away with the most insane shit if you call yourself an artist.

He must have really loved that cat.

As a fan of surreal art, this does get legit props for pushing an actual boundary when I didn't think any were left. As a cat lover, I think my rule of thumb would be: if the cat liked it while he was alive then it might be a nice tribute, or at least not obscene, to have him do it in death, sort of like dressing grandpa in his favorite baseball team's uniform with a bat and ball. But I don't know any cat that likes flying. Don't ask me how I know. But I know.

Actually I don't really know, but come on... cats and flying. Do the math...

Urgh! Garmrph!! Gleekst!!!

I'll just wait for someone to try this.

That expression is priceless.

Came here intending to post about this one, and saw its already been done.

A spark of creativity or demented? I think demagogue's sentiment is pretty close to my own. This is one of the few things left today that's just WRONG.

Problem I have with it is he turned the cat into a helicopter, RIGHT after it died. Most people I know love their pets and would be upset that their pet died. Him? Not so much, culture thing? I don't know. Maybe he was upset, but being upset and doing that doesn't jive with me. That's a way to immortalize him I guess.

That second picture reminds me of a shot from the video for "French Kissing In The USA". Like maybe he's got a giant propeller-cat penis.

I love this qoute: "...he received his propellers posthumously." I would sincerely hope so.

That cat is a helicopter!

Nooope. It's just Chuck Testa.

LittleFlower
    Copy cat.

I'm proud it's a fellow countryman who did this.
    But the idea is not original.
    We have another fellow countrywoman who has been doing this kind of stuff for years.

Tinkebell.
    http://looovetinkebell.com/

She turned her pet cat into a handbag.
    http://looovetinkebell.com/pages/my-...-cat-pinkeltje

Marionette dog, dog on a string.
    http://looovetinkebell.com/pages/jack

Stackable kitten.
    http://looovetinkebell.com/pages/kitten

Life-size My Little Pony.
    http://looovetinkebell.com/pages/my-...pulse-new-york

Sam, man's best friend.
    http://looovetinkebell.com/pages/sam

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFlower View Post
    Copy cat.

We have another fellow countrywoman who has been doing this kind of stuff for years.
    No pun intended, of course.

I'm just thinking of how much fun it would be to mindfuck my neighbour's really annoying dog with one of these babies. Of course there would have to be dive bomb sound effects..MEEEOOOOWWWW!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFlower View Post
    I read a bit of her website. It seems she likes to imagine herself as avantgarde and in a way she is, when she talks about pets as a commodity and the line between animals for food and pets. But she also employs shock tactics to gain attention, which she probably knows will be negative. And then she thrives on that and feels even more avantgarde when that's just trolling.
    Anyway, she would probably be an interesting talk.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    ...or at least not obscene, to have him do it in death, sort of like dressing grandpa in his favorite baseball team's uniform with a bat and ball.
    After having him stuffed, then sitting ole Stuffed Grandpa up in the stands of his favorite local stadium to support the team. Also you implant a replaceable airhorn in his chest so you can slap him on the back and watch him "HOOOONNNNNKKKK" whenever someone hits a home run.

I don't know if helicoptering your recently deceased cat is wrong exactly, but it's most definitely and assuredly a weird thing to do. I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to do it to any of my animals. It'd just depress me watching them fly around, looking otherwise lively despite their blank, dead stare.

After having him stuffed, then sitting ole Stuffed Grandpa up in the stands of his favorite local stadium to support the team. Also you implant a replaceable airhorn in his chest so you can slap him on the back and watch him "HOOOONNNNNKKKK" whenever someone hits a home run.
    Pretty sure this is what they used to do with Joe Torre, except with baseball signs instead of just honks. God rest his soul.

I think a century from now one of the biggest value differences they'll have with our era is the treatment & place of animals... Just not sure it's completely sunk into the collective consciousness quite yet that we're animals too. And we're still close enough to the ancien régime to not be sure what if anything is wrong here.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I think a century from now one of the biggest value differences they'll have with our era is the treatment & place of animals...
    "Place" of animals? So... what, in a hundred years we'll all be vegetarians and pets will be drawing minimum wage?

Just not sure it's completely sunk into the collective consciousness quite yet that we're animals too.
    WTF. If anything, that notion is receding as human civilization becomes ever more distant from the natural world.

They'll never get the status of persons, but honestly I think eventually we will all be vegetarians, but just because of the sociology of it. Meat eating cultures will always have people objecting, but vegetarian cultures don't. So even if it's a slow evolution (a century is maybe being too optimistic), it's like a ratchet effect. But it's just a prediction about values. I wasn't even offering any commentary or opinion on it.

I don't think civilization is getting further from the natural world, at least in relative terms. I think most educated people are now on board with humans being "made from" DNA, stem cells, and reproduction. Even the Creationists bite that bullet, and their story is now that God created DNA with Adam and reproduction took over from there (that was not the original Creation narrative).* That wouldn't have been true even in the 70s or 80s, certainly not before the discovery of DNA. And the animal rights movement and animal rights laws were basically non-existent before the mid-70s.

* Edit: I should account for the fact many still back down on the issue of abortion and revert to a moment of magic creation in the womb. But for a lot of other things, even these kinds of people still talk about DNA giving people blue eyes and brown hair and don't seem to worry about the inconsistency.

Actually, what I was really thinking about... I think when neuroscience works out a scientific theory of consciousness so it's no longer even questionable that it comes from the brain & brain only, and that human cns is pretty much indistinguishable from that of other primates (our working memory is much deeper & social learning is more plastic, so we get language & culture, but no reason to think the cns it runs through is any different), that will be the nail in the coffin and people that swallow that pill will change their attitudes about a lot of things, animals included; though like Evolution you'll still have a vast population that it'll take them decades or centuries to swallow it.

Anyway, this is all a different debate than the ethics of remote controlled hovering cat corpses, which I already gave my conflicted opinion about in my first post. I like surrealism -- my avatar on other boards is Andre Breton -- so I totally understood where this was coming from and why it was masterful in its own weird way, with that ridiculous expression & hovering in front of you.
    Last edited by demagogue; 9th Jun 2012 at 16:24.

In any case, trying to predict the future certainly is a time-honoured way of making oneself look like a fool in retrospect. So I'll say that the internet is a deliberate attempt to turn us all into a Bastet worshipping cult and the pointy-eared heads behind all this sit right next to uAAAAARGH!