TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Motion DB Errors?

Motion DB Errors?

I've been looking thorough the GMDB schemas and have come across what appear to be errors. Either that or I really don't understand what is going on. Take BipedWorldFrob.mos as an example.

Code:
    global WorldFrob 0
    torso  Biped

schema AtWaist 0, Lever 0
    MType  GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale  0
    motion BH114310     0  500

schema AtWaist 0
    MType  GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale  0
    motion BH114312     4  500

schema AtWaist 0, Door 0
    MType  GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale  0
    motion BH114313     4  500

schema AtWaist 0, Lever 0
    MType  GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale  0
    motion BH114314     4  500

schema AtWaist 0, Lever 0, WithTray 0
    MType  GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale  0
    motion BH1143i5     4  500

schema AtWaist 0, BellPull 0, WithTray 0
    MType  GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale  0
    motion BH1143i6     4  500

schema AtChest 0
    MType  GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale  0
    motion humfrob      4  500
    motion humpshbt3    4  500

schema AboveHead 0
    MType  GroundAction
    TimeScale 0
    XYZScale  0
    motion humpshbt1    4  500
    It looks to me like schema AtWaist 0, Lever 0 is defined twice with two different motions, motion BH114310 0 500 and motion BH114314 4 500. I assume that the 2nd overrides the 1st, but was that what is intended or is it an error? Should the 2nd schema AtWaist 0, Lever 0 be schema AtWaist 1, Lever 0 or schema AtWaist 0, Lever 1 or something totally different? Does anyone know?

Since the two motions are very different my assumption is that the tags should also be different. When Shadowspawn wrote the documentation, even he didn't know what the numbers meant, but if you're going to experiment, I reckon AtWaist 0, Lever 1 makes more sense because it's the same waist, but a different lever.

I went back to the original dumps of the motion sets to see where that came from. It was, in fact, entered as 2 separate entries in the original motion db. Whether it would work as randomly choosing between the 2 motions, or one overrides the other - I'm not sure.

Stan_the_Thief mentioned some errors recently (removal of a good crumble motion), and in scanning through the motion files - I found other omissions. So I'm slowly working to put together revision 2 of the General Motion DB.

To that end - if anyone else notices missing motions, problems, plain old broken stuff, etc - post here so we have a record of it and I can integrate the changes.

Not sure when I'll have enough time to finish it, but it's just getting all the schema changed. To actually run it shouldn't take long - then there's some testing. Perhaps some beta test volunteers a little later?
    Shadowspawn's Thief Pages
    Darkness is always faster than light. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds the dark waiting for it.

Well, there's always that evil "sword disappears after being drawn / held for block for a few seconds" bug.

Yeah, I'm also aware of that one - and I'd like to find it and fix it in this release.

There were some odd numbers in the properties for the player arm motions when I dumped them out. There didn't (at the time) seem any way to set them from the schema. Nor were they in any way consistent.

I'm planning on reviewing the code and see how I could get those special settings in to the schema. I'm not sure those will actually do anything to fix the problem - but it couldn't hurt!
    Shadowspawn's Thief Pages
    Darkness is always faster than light. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds the dark waiting for it.

How is this going? The community could use the updated motion schemas as well as the patched motion db compiler tool that doesn't produce the "disappearing player arm glitch".

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    It looks to me like schema AtWaist 0, Lever 0 is defined twice with two different motions, motion BH114310 0 500 and motion BH114314 4 500. I assume that the 2nd overrides the 1st, but was that what is intended or is it an error? Should the 2nd schema AtWaist 0, Lever 0 be schema AtWaist 1, Lever 0 or schema AtWaist 0, Lever 1 or something totally different? Does anyone know?
    I would guess, that's one schema event (AtWaist 0, Lever 0) picking between two motions (BH114310, BH114314) when it's triggered.