TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Running DX:invisible War on win 7 64bit

Running DX:invisible War on win 7 64bit

Anyone tried this lately?
    Mine does not work at all. Installs ok, then instant crash every time. "dx2.exe has stopped working" The game never even starts.
    It seems like an unusual problem which some people never get, even with apparently the same specs (I thought it might be multi-core, but a lot of people report no problems and have never tweaked it at all). And, given the game, few try very hard to fix it when it does come up.
    I don't even know where to start.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Why would you want to play Invisible War anyway?

sorry, someone had to say it. i'll get my coat

You might have to turn off Data Execution Prevention (DEP). I had to do it with Thief: Deadly Shadows, or else I would get the same result. Instant crash.

Hmm, cheers. I think I did it right, but it didn't make any difference. I added all the exes to the exception list. The crash is the same. The exception code, according to a raw search, is the same as divide by zero.
    Just to see if it's corrupted or something I got the no disk crack, but no difference there either.

You actually have to turn DEP off completely, not add the game to the exception list. That didn't work for me, either.

From the Command Prompt in Administrator mode, type:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

To turn DEP back on, later:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

Can't guarantee this will solve the crashing for you, but it worked for me with T : DS.

So this is interesting. I tried that trick aaand nothing happened. No change at all.
    Desperate for some sort of comparison, I copied the (working) install from the XP machine onto mr external drive and moved it over.
    So the copy copy, from originally the same install disks years ago, runs. Hell it runs off the external drive.
    The new install still doesn't run by the way. The new re-install doesn't run either.

Still to try: turning on execution prevention and seeing if that breaks the copy copy.