TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Fan Missions Timeline.

"A Thief Nonetheless" shouldn't be in any list with the words "Greatest Fan Missions" in the title.

It only got a half decent score because when I first started releasing missions I briefly had a small number of exuberant fans.

It is nothing more than a throw-away mini mission that I slapped together in 14 consecutive days in spare time while I was also writing, voice acting, and beta-testing another mission for Thorin Oakenshield, plus wrapping up Two Fathers. It is merely a fan mission building vestigial appendage.

A Thief Nonetheless is 14 days, and Flip A Coin is 28 days. I spent a fraction of the time on both combined than I spent on small sections of some of my others.

Please consider removing it from the list and giving someone credit who actually deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    "A Thief Nonetheless" shouldn't be in any list with the words "Greatest Fan Missions" in the title.

It only got a half decent score because when I first started releasing missions I briefly had a small number of exuberant fans.

It is nothing more than a throw-away mini mission that I slapped together in 14 consecutive days in spare time while I was also writing, voice acting, and beta-testing another mission for Thorin Oakenshield, plus wrapping up Two Fathers. It is merely a fan mission building vestigial appendage.

A Thief Nonetheless is 14 days, and Flip A Coin is 28 days. I spent a fraction of the time on both combined than I spent on small sections of some of my others.

Please consider removing it from the list and giving someone credit who actually deserves it.
    Don't be to hard on yourself uncadonego, I understand what your saying and if it makes you feel better Greyfeather part one would be your replacement.

However some things to consider. I have only played the missions up to 2002 and the list is originally designed was to help me and others find worthy missions to play and I can only go off of certain limited criteria.

Now with that being said go play some of the missions listed for 1999 Thief gold. Like Awakening and treasury. On Garret Loader they have scores of 6 and 5 respectively. So why the higher scores? Maybe the same reason as your FM and maybe because FM's had lower standards in those days, I don't really know but they get high reviews from the 3 major sites that I have been using to score them.

The list isn't perfect but hey that's how the numbers came out.

Now with Garretloader you got a score of 5of53 and I could put that into consideration. But in truth Garretloader with more of a problem than a solution. Since I just learned of it I have not calculated at all into any of my previous years scores. I could go back and recalculate everything but then I would be pretty much starting over.

Plus like I said technically Garretloaders scores are newer in comparison to those given by the circle and the Keep and so forth and its scores only go up to 2010. In the future another score sheet will probably be created with different scores because of different standards.

Its actually a problem I would like to present to the whole community here. Now that I have these scores do I incorporate them and if so do I redo everything or should I only do it where I stop having consistant scores elsewhere (aka 2004 and up)? Or should I be happy that the numbers correlate pretty well and keep on my marry way?

Note: Greyfeather FM will probably be listed in 2005 (no promises.)

Well one thing too you might want to take into account is that some of the garrettloader scores are like say 9 for a mission but only maybe 5 people sumbitted a score. Unless it correlated with other scores, I usually skipped those. I mainly stuck with the ones that had lots of score submissions.

Whether or not you redo things and include the garrettloader scores is ultimately up to you. For the period it was active it does add some input, but whether that input is useful or not is something you will have to decide. You are the one doing the list after all. I found it useful at the time. You may not now.

I will say that if I ever bothered to update my sticky, I would probably still use them, if that helps any.

Consideration

Thanks kamyk. I played around with the Garretloader scores and came up with some slightly altered lists but then I realized what your saying about that most scores on garret loader don't have a lot of weight behind them so I think I will keep things as is for now.

Someone should create a poll for the greatest FM ever.
    Unless this is the cheap-ass version of vbulletin with poll option ?

Update

Hey whoa a 2005 update!

No I have not abandoned this post. I do plan on finishing it eventually. Its just a very time consuming project to pour over all the missions of a single year comparing scores and forum hits and whatnot, and I get distracted with life and stuff. So you may not see an update for a month or two, but it will get done.

phew 2005 was a difficult year to make a list from.

Thanks for the update. Seems 2005 has a lot of my favourites.

2006 is up.

110 missions I had to look into and compare, feels like a new record.
    It was even more difficult due to having scores that really didn't pop out at me.

Though I don't use any of the Garretloader scores, it is becoming more usefull, both for 2005 and 2006, in helping me choose fm's with these smaller and harder to quantify scores.

2007 update. A year mostly taken up by small series.

2008 will be the last year the player scores from the circle will cover and not much left in garret-loader either. Soon I will have to completely rely on forum hits.

I have made a list of all 7 and higher ranking missions from Garret-loader due to the fact that most of the later player scores from the circle have about as much wait. I am pleased to state that the majority of missions on garret-loader that scored 8 or higher are on my list.

Thanks for the updates.

I suppose as scores get fewer, you might try asking people to vote on the missions released in a specific year.

is up.

and both the circle and garretloader run out of use.

2009-10

Since nothing has changed on the 2009 and 2010 FM poll threads I created I have decided to update the list with the top FM's. If anybody still wishes to contest the list, the links are listed on alongside the list to give you a comprehensive list of all FM's produced for that year and you can inform me either on this forum or the others. Though now it might be easier if you post here of all places.

This is great work LordEtern! Just one more year and you're up to date!
    I will definitely use this as a way to decide my next FM.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports

Thief 3

Change of pace with have a list for Thief 3 up. Let me know what you think.

one of the most needed threads

I'm sorry to say I haven't played any T3 missions but you've done great work here LordEtern and I've included this under the This and That section in the Thief Fan Missions Links Thread so people can find it easily whenever they want.

And I am all caught up for Thief 2, Until this year is over I won't do 2012.

Made changes to the T2 2011 List. Go here for further discussion. http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...38#post2134038

Bummer... I guess Ruins of Originia didn't make the cut. Oh well..

But it's right up there in the Hardest Missions Ever list!

Remember that this list isn't the end-all be-all. It's simply a logical way to list missions from each year based on votes and/or forum hits.

I still have Ruins of Originia on my must-play list.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports

This is an awesome work and a must save list you have here. Of course there are always missions that are not on the list but we have on our must play list, but that is ok.

Happy New Year!

2012 is over and here is the results!

Quote Originally Posted by LordEtern View Post
    Thief 2 2012
    A year has passed and here is the newly updated list for 2012. It is sad but true the list of FM's is getting smaller.
    Well there are quite a few missions that haven't made the list so I'm assuming they didn't score high enough using your criteria?

But I'm sure that with NewDark we'll see an increase again. 7 days into January and we have 2 missions already.

Thanks for the new list. I'm a little surprised that some others aren't on it but it's interesting.

You seem to imply, however, that there have only been 15 T2 missions in 2012. There were, in fact, 22 T2 missions released in 2012. Here are the statistics for the year.