TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: thief 3 windows 7

There has to be something wrong with this file I downloaded from Eidos Website becuase i tried to install on my dad's WinXP machine and I got the same problem. I probably need to try to get it from somewhere else. It's crazy because I think this was a completely seperate download. It did go farther on XP because the activation utility popped up but the game still never ran

Hey there, i have some other issues...
    first my machine: C2D 2,6ghz, 4 Gb Ram, HD 4850, Win 7 64 bit, X-fi Gamer
    Thief 3 1.1 with and w/o editor exe

Tried single core trick, messsing arround with alchemy, various settings in game and via ini file and basicly everthing mentioned in this thread and linked sites here.

MY Problem is:
    T3 runs, i can play the Tutorial, at the end of the tutorial it freezes with soundloop.
    I just tried saving at the end of the tutorial for reproduction, but found out, the game freezes as well when i try to load a savegame.
    Checked registy, folder path is correct, which was quite obvious since it used my edited ini file ^_^

Again, i basicly tried everything mentioned in this thread, nothing helps
    someone got other ideas?

greetz

Vinn

Res Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vinn View Post
    MY Problem is:
    T3 runs, i can play the Tutorial, at the end of the tutorial it freezes with soundloop.
    I just tried saving at the end of the tutorial for reproduction, but found out, the game freezes as well when i try to load a savegame.
    Checked registy, folder path is correct, which was quite obvious since it used my edited ini file ^_^

Again, i basicly tried everything mentioned in this thread, nothing helps
    someone got other ideas?

greetz

Vinn
    Alrite Vinn - I installed Thief DS the other week (got Thief 1, 2 & T2X working on Win7x64 too, in widescreen) and it strangely stopped working today.
    Well, not that strange, really, since I've been fucking around with a load of things quite a bit this week and a lot of things on this machine have stopped working that were fine before.

I eventually managed it until I was at the point you were with being able to play a mission / tutorial, but it would hang on completion. (Double back after distracting the guard with a noisemaker and find the candlestick in the chest in the room he runs into for 100%... I never found that til earlier :/)

The fix for me was a resolution problem and it sounds like you're having similar issues:

I think it's due to certain display adaptors/drivers being a bit iffy with Thief DS, so will be working on another patch - this one for widescreen displays - because it's a pain in the arse when games refuse to run in certain aspect ratios.

The game can handle playing in certain [widescreen] resolutions, such as 1600 x 900 but - and this seems to be the case with a lot of people who can't get this working - it doesn't like it so much. Especially when it comes to ending a mission. You may have noticed that there is a bit of corruption on the title menu. Things like the version number not being there or the menu options only appearing after you hover over them with the mouse.

Simple fix is: take the resolution down a few notches. 1024 x 768 works, as does 1280... Any higher than that and, due to the way the game works [backbutton/pausegame/esc], which has always been an issue with the Thief series, this resolution / screen switching while paused thing that appears ("are you sure you want to finish the mission" screen, etc...).

The harder workaround is (if you've fubar'd the game so it won't open): uninstall, reinstall and then - if it still won't launch - manually edit the config files in the progfiles(x32)/thief - deadlly shadows directory to reflect a workable resolution.

For added measure (and idk if this is a fix for others as it made no difference to the game hanging on a too high res), you can use Regedit to find the entry for Thief DS' save games - give it a proper path instead of the ~3 bits n stuff.
    That and ensure that all the .exe's like T3.exe and T3main.exe have full permissions and are run as administrator for all users.

If that don't work, then idkwtf the problem is, so don't ask :P
    You'd think that, considering how crappy Deus Ex 2 was and how the 3rd one doesn't look so great (compared to the first, anyhow); that they're probably going to butcher Thief 4 too, that someone would've released a few patches to keep these games playing on new systems architecture and stuff.

Least we could do is get a load of config files and exe's zipped up, maybe a few Registry edits too, for download so that people can just copy them into the right places and hope for the best.

Erm... Basically, this is a long post to say, "have you tried turning down the resolution in-game?".

Hope it works for you too.
    If not - get Thief 2 as it's better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceyalone View Post
    I did run Thief 3 on Windows 7. However I had to use a no-Cp patch (I think from gamecopy world).

I checked this guide. Is fro Vista, but worked well with 7 too.
    http://lungfishopolis.com/2009/02/ge...-run-in-vista/
    I'm using Win7 x32, had it installed Thief DS, and download the editor t3.exe and it works.

Except that Garrett can not RUN?!? he can walk, crouch, lean, but cannot RUN?!?

I'm not pretty sure what happen, am I missing something here?

I guess everyone gave up on getting it to work. It's just hard to believe so many had so many unexplained problems with one game. I never did purchase from another source, and I am kind of hesitant to do so, but I do plan on trying it on another different system

I sure hope after all this time the Thief Guru's have come up with a way to make all the install/play issues go away with Win7.

My current problem is trying to install the game. I have the 3 CD pack. When I try installing, it gets to about 20% of the first disk then freezes. I have to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the manager to manually stop it. I have even tried just letting it sit thinking maybe it will unfreeze and move again. NOT!

Current system specs:
    2 x Dual Core Opteron 275's (Total quad core)
    4gb RAM
    NVIDIA 7900GS
    Sound Blaster Live 5.1
    320gb HDD

Thanks for any input anyone has.

Thief 3 64 bit problem

please see this error

Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	BEX
      Application Name:	t3.exe
      Application Version:	1.0.0.1
      Application Timestamp:	00000000
      Fault Module Name:	t3.exe
      Fault Module Version:	1.0.0.1
      Fault Module Timestamp:	00000000
      Exception Offset:	000000f0
      Exception Code:	c0000005
      Exception Data:	00000008
      OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID:	16393
      Additional Information 1:	0a9e
      Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3:	0a9e
      Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    my system =
    Windows 7 64 bit ultimate SP1
    DG43NB Mainboard
    9500GT 1GB Graphics Card
    Creative Speakers 5.1
    4GB DDR2 800 mhz Ram
    intel quad core 8400 (2.7ghz~5.5total)

Guys, i don't think you have to reduce your resolution to fix the freeze with sound loop bug. Installing the first (of two) FOV.exe on the widescreengaming forum by copying it into the install directory and then using it and applying the "crash fix" function did the trick for me. Somewhere it says your supposed to use them both.

Well, I've installed Thief 3 as well as the widescreen patch in the thread below this one. I'm not sure if I used it correctly (unzipped the file, put it in the Thief 3 folder and ran the program) but I started up the game and everything worked perfectly. After a few hours of gameplay, though, the game froze and immediately crashed to the desktop. I didn't get any error message, so I don't know what happened. I thought a possible reason might be linked to a similar problem I had with the game on an old computer of mine, wherein the game would freeze periodically because the system would overheat. My new system is pretty powerful, though, so I'm doubtful that this is the case.
    System specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40Ghz (4 core)
    64-bit operating system
    8 gigs of RAM
    graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Not sure this would help since you've played a little with no problems, but this might be worth a try. There were two fov fixing programs, the first one had a crash fix function, which only needed to be applied once i think. Worked for me, but i crashed right after i applied the [second] fov fix. There lots of other things people have said fixed their issue unfortunately or fortunately depending on how u look at it. Alt tabbing out of the game and setting affinity to a single core for t3.exe and t3main.exe seems to be mentioned a lot.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Since the subject has come up I'd better mention that there is a new T3 widescreen patch in the making, which will combine and improve on the various fixes already available: System-enumerated resolutions (plus one custom) available from the options screen, user-selectable FOV, corrected HUD and menus, works with OMs, FMs and existing save games.

Testers are welcome...
    Last edited by snobel; 22nd Mar 2012 at 11:24.

My problem with Windows 7 and Thief 3 when the game starts immediately.
    As soon as I click on T3.exe I get this in writing:

Thief Deadly Shadows has stopped working
    Problem Event: BEX
    Application Name: t3.exe

I state that my processor isnt a dual core. I've tried 2 times to install but always with the same result
    My operating system:

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 AMD Athlon 2.71 GHz, 4GB RAM
    Motherboard MSI MS-7309
    ATI Radeon 4850 512 ram

how can I fix this?

P.S. Help me. No one knows how to solve this problem?
    Last edited by bluclint; 18th Jan 2012 at 07:16.

I seem to have visited every single thread dedicated to this issue and also links mentioned in them (like http://lungfishopolis.com/2009/02/ge...-run-in-vista/). Many people claimed that th described solutions worked for them but it doesn't solve the problem of t3main.exe crashing for me. Having spent all day looking for solution only got m into a dead end. Clueless what else to try to be honest. I hate Windows 7 with all my heart.

Error I get on startup of the game:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: T3Main.EXE
    Application Version: 1.0.0.1
    Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll

My spec
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1
    AMD FX 4100 Quad-Core Processor 3.60GHz

nVidia Geforce GT520

also, funny thing with trying to edit registry... There is nothing related to Thief or Ion Storm in Wow6432Node (well, except for the texture pack add-on values). That puzzles me. I followed the advise to not install the game into Program Files folder and my User Control is off and was off when I installed the game.
    Last edited by ~s:a:n:i:t:y~; 20th Jul 2012 at 18:55.

Sneaky Upgrader
    If you haven't yet tried that thing in my signature, then it's probably worth a shot. Point the installer to where the game is installed, then it will offer to change your registry if the key there doesn't point to the same location.

If you have installed it, and it still doesn't work, try replacing T3Main.exe with the one called T3Main-lnk.exe, found in the SneakyUpgrade folder in your game installation (remove the -lnk bit after copying it into the System folder). That version is for the TFMM mission loader, and it's independent of the registry.

Edit: I don't know the no-cd patch mentioned in that link, but the safest way to achieve media independence is to replace T3.exe with the one from the editor pack. So if you didn't do that already, then you probably should.
    Last edited by snobel; 21st Jul 2012 at 02:59.
    The Sneaky Upgrade - widescreen and tweaks patch for Thief 3

Thank you very much for posting. I think I will just uninstall the game and do everything all over again. I hoped your solution will finally help - the savegame path file appeared in registry and I changed it to game folder, I tried running game with setting affinity to 1 (on your version of t3main.exe - previous one was taken from editor's pack together with t3.exe) and without it, set compatibility with win XP SP2 as well. I played with my resolution to see if that could be causing the problem. I don't have any antivirus enabled atm.
    So. have a tea, wash away the frustration and get back to business and pray pray pray.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by ~s:a:n:i:t:y~ View Post
    Thank you very much for posting. I think I will just uninstall the game and do everything all over again.
    Good idea - you probably install to C:\Games or a similar neutral location? I'd recommend initially installing only the game, the 1.1 patch (if needed), the editor exe-files, and the Sneaky Upgrade. Hold out on JohnP, it shouldn't hurt, but won't help either.

I hoped your solution will finally help - the savegame path file appeared in registry and I changed it to game folder
    Just to avoid confusion: The ION_ROOT key should point to your game installation folder, SaveGamePath to wherever your savegames are - but if you make it point to somewhere in C:\Users\your_name\Documents then the Windows compatibility layer will very helpfully make them go into C:\Users\Public\Documents instead... If you don't have the ION_ROOT key, try adding it manually where the SaveGamesPath key is, and make it point to the right location.

I tried running game with setting affinity to 1 (on your version of t3main.exe - previous one was taken from editor's pack together with t3.exe) and without it, set compatibility with win XP SP2 as well. I played with my resolution to see if that could be causing the problem. I don't have any antivirus enabled atm.
    - In most cases the Sneaky Upgrade should be enough for multicore, but if you want to set affinity don't set it on T3Main.exe - set it on T3.exe, then T3Main will inherit the settings.
    - At least initially don't set compatibility manually, the compatibility layer will recognize T3Main.exe and set it automatically. Also, as long as you stay out of Program Files etc, administrator mode should not be necessary.
    - If you have the Upgrade installed, resolution shouldn't matter.

So. have a tea, wash away the frustration and get back to business and pray pray pray.
    May the Builder guide thee...

I'm lost.

Maybe it has to do with my copy of the game, the region change as I bought it in a different country. However I had no problem installing and running it previously on Windows XP in the UK so I doubt that could be the reason.
    /cry

Sneaky Upgrader
    It shouldn't be a region thing, especially when you're using the editor exes.

This thread suggests recreating your user profile, but maybe you've been there already?

Also, if you have the SaveGamesPath key in the registry, try making it point to the game installation folder, to rule out any compatibility layer shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    This thread suggests recreating your user profile, but maybe you've been there already?
    No I haven't and I have just created a new account but when I try to install it under the new account I get an error:
    (wups, it seems I can't copy between accounts, how silly of Microsoft)
    Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Also, if you have the SaveGamesPath key in the registry, try making it point to the game installation folder, to rule out any compatibility layer shenanigans.
    Yes, I did change the path as soon as your suggested fix added needed lines to my registry.

Here's the error message
    Error Code: -5004 : 0x80070005
    Error Information:
    >SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1968)
    PAPP:Thief - Deadly Shadows
    PVENDOR:Ion Storm (http://www.ionstorm.com/)
    PGUID:FC123EEA-330A-4685-911C-95B8F5E9DE68
    $9.1.0.429
    @Windows XP Service Pack 1 (7601) IE 9.0.8112.16447

Sneaky Upgrader
    Log in as a different User. rename the problem profile. Log in as the original user again. A new profile will get created.
    Is this exactly what you did? Note that you shouldn't install as the new user, only log in as the second user in order to rename your profile (rename C:\Users\your_name to something else). Then log in as yourself and try reinstalling.

If you created a new user in order to log in, you may have to make it an administrator first. The error you posted seems to be "access denied", which could indicate the user is not an administrator.

I'm ambarrassed to admit it but I have no idea how to rename that account as it is admin type and even though I made my new account admin too (never mind, the changes did not take effect as I just discovered, so it is standart) I still don't have access to renaming the old one. And don't seem to be able to uncheck admin type as well in it:/

I read your post again and realised I hurried to uninstall the game so I got it back on main admin account, applied sneaky mod and both editor's exes, then switched to a newly created account and tried to load the client. Now it just seems to freeze, no errors and system is trying to read the disc data from the sound of it but nothing else is happening.

upd.
    found this but currently don't have any mental strength left so switching to doing something else for a while and I will post an update if I finally get it to work.

Ok, I recreated that notorious account, reinstalled the game, applied both .exes and sneaky upgrade. But I still seem to have the same KERNELBASE.dll issue.
    Last edited by ~s:a:n:i:t:y~; 21st Jul 2012 at 12:12.

Just letting you know I gave up on trying to run it. After all attempts and "tweaking" my system ended up unable to run even the applications it previously had no problems with, resulting into my nerdrage and its reinstalling. Don't think I'll have the guts to try it again any time soon. That's all folks (insert idiotic laughter here)

Sneaky Upgrader
    Sorry to hear it. I'm all out of ideas too, except for the "reinstall Windows" knee-jerk response.