TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: From Software are dicks

From Software are dicks

We already knew they were sadists, but in Crown of the Old Iron King they graduated to dicks. I'm greatly enjoying all the DLCs so far, but *that* bit with the Smelter Wedges? Seriously, that's the kind of thing you can only know if you've read guides that happen to mention it. It's still possible to do it even if you run out of Smelter Wedges en route to the Fume Knight, but, seriously? Dicks.

Any other instances in any of the games where From is not just being harsh and sadistic but downright dickish?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Funny, I felt like I ended up with more Smelter Wedges than I could use. Maybe I missed out on some area earlier on where you can use a bunch of them?

Lucky you, then. The IMO most obvious path results in you ending up at the Fume Knight with three wedges in your inventory. I first thought I'd succumbed to a bug or had somehow missed a wedge, but since they come in two packages (of six and four), that's unlikely. Nope, that last wedge is hidden behind Mr Fume, who just happens to be healed by the last remaining idol.

This is definitely a fight where I'll need a competent summon, otherwise I'll be spending the next month trying to kill a regenerating Fume Knight and getting smashed to pieces by his Big-Ass Sword of Megakill.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    This is definitely a fight where I'll need a competent summon
    What's your soul memory?

Just under 7 million.

Edit: And two kindly phantoms just helped me kill the SOB.
    Last edited by Thirith; 17th Nov 2014 at 13:59.

Moderator and Priest
    Be glad. It took me at least 40 something tries before I killed that bastard.

There tend to be bosses that I can cheese quite easily, bosses where I have to work for it but I know that I can manage, and bosses where my skillset and my character build are simply not up to them. The Fume Knight was the latter, especially with that spare Ashen Idol hanging around. Every time I bump into a boss of the latter kind I get kinda despondent and don't even dare fight the next few bosses on my own without the help of some friendly phantoms.

Which makes me think that for all the hours I've put into the Souls series, I'm just about not good enough for it.

If it makes you feel any better, according to the official statistics From released not so long ago, the Fume Knight is the hardest boss in the game. According to the stats, players die to him 93% of the time.

verbose douchebag
    Also, if it makes you feel any better, I was never able to kill Manus without help (thanks Malleus) and am still stuck on Kalameet.

Apologies for the old school references.

The Fume Knight and Sinh are my favourite bosses from all of DS2. I had much more trouble with Sinh than I did with Fume though. Although I don't have much trouble with Sinh now, I must have died 20 or 30 times trying to beat him. The fume knight on the other hand was much easier for me for some reason and I beat after a half a dozen tries (from memory) with the aid of Steelheart Ellie. Although I haven't had much chance to play any games for the past few weeks I have gone back there as summonable help for other players as I really love that fight.

Incidentally, I've noticed a sharp decline in the number of other players in the game lately.

@twisty

I found Sinh really easy once I'd learned his move set and how to counter act it. Fume OTOH while I can now deal with his first phase well enough, once he goes into his second phase I haven't really figured out yet how to handle him. My experience with them so far has only been playing as champions covenant member so much harder than normal NG.

Sir Alonne is a great corrective for the Fume Knight IMO: every time he kills me, I know what I did wrong and how to work on this. He's difficult but doesn't feel out of reach, even after several deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by salass00 View Post
    once he goes into his second phase I haven't really figured out yet how to handle him.
    When I finally soloed the guy, I did it with the Velstadt Helm, which makes him enter the second phase right at the start. It was easier for me having to learn only one moveset.

Quote Originally Posted by salass00 View Post
    I found Sinh really easy once I'd learned his move set and how to counter act it. Fume OTOH while I can now deal with his first phase well enough, once he goes into his second phase I haven't really figured out yet how to handle him. My experience with them so far has only been playing as champions covenant member so much harder than normal NG.
    Yeah, I'm not really sure why it took me so long to get a handle of Sinh but I think that I was mainly due to the fact that I was stubbornly sticking to the same style that I used to wipe out the other dragons in the game (apart from the Ancient Dragon which I never tried) and that just doesn't cut it against him. Once I beat him I went back and helped others do the same without too much difficulty (still a great battle though).
    As far as Fume is concerned, one of the main things to manage is when to take healing as its game-over if you decide to gulp down a potion at the wrong time. The only safe time to do is at the end of one of his move-sets such the leaping overhand attack or at the end of the 3 slash/thrust manoeuvre he does in 90 degree angles; also, if you are really close to him when he begins the blast animation then you are sometimes better off just gulping down a potion straight away so that you health is already recovering by the time that his animation ends. The other thing for melee characters is to use Dark magic on your weapons (or fire if you don't have Dark) and stay in close to him as much as you can, strafing around him to his right side. This works particularly well when he starts the long, slow fire sword sweep as all you need to do is walk around him following his back.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Sir Alonne is a great corrective for the Fume Knight IMO: every time he kills me, I know what I did wrong and how to work on this. He's difficult but doesn't feel out of reach, even after several deaths.
    I had a harder time actually getting to him in the first place then with the fight against him. As a result of my summoned help dying in the first minute or so I ended up fighting him by myself and was lucky enough to beat him on my first try. Although he can be very fast, he tends to take a while to recover between most of his moves which gives more than enough time to follow a repetitive strategy of hit once, roll, repeat, without having to spend any time learning his move set. Or maybe I was just lucky, I dunno.

@twisty

The 2 1/2 years old Panasonic plasma HD TV just died yesterday (7 red blinks of death) so I won't be able to play any Dark Souls 2 for a while but thanks for the suggestions.

@Malleus

I did buy the Velstadt helmet just so I could be able to more easily learn his 2nd phase move set but I really don't like the fact that it weighs as much as it does. As I don't like to put many points into vitality I usually prefer to go with relatively light armor.

We have a new 42" LG LED TV now and I've restarted using a new character. Playing as a dark oriented (mostly) melee build now using a dark infused roaring halberd and dark weapon spell buff. Today I've just recently defeated all three bosses of the first DLC as well as the giant king and king Vendrick (without using summons). They all died a lot easier now that I'm not in the champions' covenant any more.

BTW I died more times to Sinh than to Elana this time.

Edit:
    I'm at Fume knight now. I beat the blue Smelter Demon on my 2nd attempt (3rd if you count me dying once during the run to him). Fume knight's 2nd phase is still giving me problems especially the slow horizontal swing that he does but maybe it's just because I haven't been staying close enough to him. I've stopped using a shield on him as it takes too long to switch between 1 and 2-handed mode and blocking does nothing anyway.
    Last edited by salass00; 7th Jan 2015 at 10:04.

I just beat the Fume knight on my 1st try today using my dark melee build (without summons obviously).

Edit:
    Just defeated Sir Alonne and got a smelter wedge so I guess there's an additional ashen idol that I've missed somewhere. Not sure where it could be though as I'm pretty sure I didn't skip any apart from the first one which I went back to destroy after defeating Fume knight.
    Last edited by salass00; 8th Jan 2015 at 08:01.

Dark weapons do the most damage against him as far as I am aware. Re smelter wedges, have you been to the tower reached by the huge chain or through the door behind the large central pit where the lifts operate in?

@twisty

Thanks, but I already found it. There was a door I'd missed that you get to by taking the elevator up from the foyer and then getting off on the left rather than the right side.