TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dark Souls 3 will be a thing, infos leaked

Remember when I was bummed I was too late to buy a collector's edition? Well, some 2 weeks ago I ordered one from a scalper. Paid about 30% more.

And then, some 2 days ago, some more copies asppeared in stores.

Not only did I let myself get ripped off, I'm also going to have to wait some 2 days after release date for the game to arrrive :/

Steam Pre-load is up. Stock up on lube boys, we're gonna need it.

Moderator and Priest
    Damnit! GMG hasn't released the Steam keys yet. I wanna download 30GB worth of data I can't do anything with until Monday now!

And that sucks, van. Though on the plus side, you do get a cool statue.

I was mistaken -- I did actually get it on GMG with the 20% discount. I'm surprised that GMG can actually sell it without having the keys to go with it. Unless they informed you about this before you clicked Buy?

Anyway, it's working for me. Downloading now...Although I probably won't get a chance to play much with it until next weekend.

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, they inform you that they won't have the keys ready until about 24-48 hours before release. When I got XCOM2 through them, they sent me a key the day preloading for it went live on Steam. I'm surprised they haven't done the same for DS3 yet.

Out of curiosity, how big is the install for DS3?

17 GB

Annoyingly, it won't get unlocked until Tuesday morning down here in Australia. I realise there's a business rationale driving the choice of date for release, but it would be of greater benefit to the consumer if it were released closer to the weekend to give them more of a chance to play it.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    it would be of greater benefit to the consumer if it were released closer to the weekend to give them more of a chance to play it.
    In case it would be any comfort to you: I'll still be playing Dark Souls 1: Prepare to Die for the next few weeks. Then I'll be playing Dark Souls II during the summer. And I might have time to play Dark Souls 3 in the Fall. Not earlier.
    Hurry is overrated.

Also, I suspect that DS3 will be heavier on videocards than the previous 2 games. DS1 (with larger textures, more AA/SSAO, 2560x1080) runs fine on my current machine. But my gtx680 is far from being top-end anymore. In 2 months the new nVidia cards will be out (and new AMD too). I'm looking forward to play DS3 on a gtx1080.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Annoyingly, it won't get unlocked until Tuesday morning down here in Australia. I realise there's a business rationale driving the choice of date for release, but it would be of greater benefit to the consumer if it were released closer to the weekend to give them more of a chance to play it.
    I'm wondering about that myself. I was playing DS2 at an old friend's house last night for VIDEOGAME DAY, and I couldn't help but wonder why they didn't release it over the weekend for the exact same reason. 7PM, Monday evening is a damn weird time to release a game.

Though on the plus side, I just read that From released their promised day one patch, and it fixes every single framerate issue the game has, making it run at a full, consistent 60 FPS without any hitches on any modern PC. So there's that, I guess.

Oh, and this...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Hey everyone! Steam is selling Dark Souls 3 Steam Controller Bundles
    So have you been playing DS3 with the Steam Controller, Renz? What's it like? And what are your thoughts on the controller overall, are you still using it after the initial excitement is over?

I haven't bought DS3 yet. Thinking I'll pick it up till the weekend for PS4, but that Steam Controller bundle is also kinda enticing.

Moderator and Priest
    I haven't touched my PS4 or XBox pads since getting the Steam Controller. I think once you get over it's (admittedly pretty steep) learning curve, it's one of the best controllers around. You have the comfort and niceties of an analog stick equipped gamepad, with the speed and precision of a trackball, all in one convenient, somewhat fat package.

Just keep in mind that when you first use it, it's going to feel weird, since it's laid out quite a bit differently than your standard controller.

The only real downside to me is it's rather suspect rumble support. You can turn it on from inside the controller config, and anything that uses rumble through Xinput will work just fine. But it's rather weak, and really noisy. Valve has gone on record saying that the haptic feedback thing is quite a bit different than a traditional rumble motor, which becomes glaringly obvious when you use it.

Though on the plus side, using it in Dirt Rally gives you a really nice hand massage, while making these funny *nurk* *nurk* *nurk* *nurk* *eeeeeee* *kkkkrrrrrnnn* noises.

As for DS3, get it for PC, and play it with the Steam Controller. It's a good game to get acclimated to it with. Though DO NOT use From's official controller profiles. They seem to be overly complicated for the sake of being overly complicated, and throw in everything from the quick-select pop up menus, to the gyroscope for no other reason than they were there to use. Using the standard controller scheme with the right trackpad set to mouse emulation works perfectly.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Alright dammit, sold! My ancient 360 pad was starting to get worn out anyway.

€108 after shipping, which is only €40 more than the game would cost on PS4.

Moderator and Priest
    And just to drive it home, here's a video of me playing the game with the Steam Controller.

...which looks about like playing it with a regular controller, cept you spin faster. You'll probably have to watch it on Youtube directly to get the 60FPS version. Embedded videos are kinda flaky about displaying that.

Finally got my CE. Praise the sun! As a side note, I also got the first omnibus of BLAME!, which is pretty much Dark Souls as a sci-fi manga.
    http://imgur.com/ZDlo2kU

Good times.

Moderator and Priest
    Lucky!

As much as I love these games, it's a small wonder I haven't ponied up the cash for a collectors edition. I wouldn't mind having a couple of those statues.

verbose douchebag

Played for a little bit. Stabbed a giant tree in the nutsack, then fell off a roof and died.

10/10

Moderator and Priest
    Well, that's what you get.