TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: When you first met your soul mate how did you know that they were the one for you?

When you first met your soul mate how did you know that they were the one for you?

When I first met my soul mate I started figuring she was a keeper when she pretended not to notice that I would take a couple of sips of her beer ever time she went to the washroom. But what made me start thinking she was special was when she got my Grandmother to give up her secrete cabbage roll recipe. My Grandmother wouldn't give her recipe to anyone not even her sisters. But one day I went to her house to get my Kiss Boots (I was in the Kiss army back then) and within 15 minutes my future soul mate (who had never met my Grandmother) got the recipe. Cheers!

It was the smell.

Maybe she was your Grandmother's soul mate from a previous life and you are just baggage.

Sorry but I don't buy the "soul mate" myth, unless you simply mean being lucky enough to find one of the myriad of potential partners who are remarkably compatible with you. The notion that there is someone made for each of us is absurd and depressingly deterministic. It makes for great pop songs and stalker lyrics but lousy human relations. It is very rare to find a couple where they love each other equally. That's about the best you can hope for and that takes a little bit of luck and a whole lot of work.

Anyway, unless you share that cabbage roll recipe, it's all hearsay...

I was bored and sat down in front of his desk at work one day; when he looked up from his work and asked what was on my mind I proceeded to recite 'The Jabberwocky' (from Alice in Wonderland); much to my astonishment, he joined right in the recitation. He said he knew it was love when I corrected him on several words in the poem. If that wasn't enough, our first date was spending the entire day roaming around the Field Museum in Chicago. The. Entire. Day. (= 7th heaven for me.) He didn't know the Field Museum was one of my ultimately favorite places when he asked me out, so when I discovered that it was also one of his ultimately favorite places ..... well, the rest is history. Happening upon someone with whom you have so very much in common (books, movies, hobbies, etc.) is a once in a lifetime type of thing, imo. A real life-changer for both of us. Happily so!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    I was bored and sat down in front of his desk at work one day; when he looked up from his work and asked what was on my mind I proceeded to recite 'The Jabberwocky' (from Alice in Wonderland); much to my astonishment, he joined right in the recitation. He said he knew it was love when I corrected him on several words in the poem. If that wasn't enough, our first date was spending the entire day roaming around the Field Museum in Chicago. The. Entire. Day. (= 7th heaven for me.) He didn't know the Field Museum was one of my ultimately favorite places when he asked me out, so when I discovered that it was also one of his ultimately favorite places ..... well, the rest is history. Happening upon someone with whom you have so very much in common (books, movies, hobbies, etc.) is a once in a lifetime type of thing, imo. A real life-changer for both of us. Happily so!!
    I liked that story thanks for sharing it. Have you ever wondered if it was more then boredom that made you sit down in front of him - could of been fate that drew you to him. Cheer!

Administrator
    Nice story Dia, partly because I can recite Jabberwocky, hopefully correctly.
    Generally my problem has been being obsessed with the wrong types of women, and failing to notice women who were more compatible.
    At my stage in life I'm not overly optimistic about finding someone I actually like when I have so little desire to interact with anyone beyond my kids, who get the priority.

I think a lot is dependent on you knowing yourself well enough to have an intuition about who is compatible. And the confidence to start reciting surreal poetry at the right time obviously...

Quote Originally Posted by scumble View Post
    Nice story Dia, partly because I can recite Jabberwocky, hopefully correctly.
    Lol! I'd never met a man who could recite that poem before, so to me he was one in a million. I'm sure there are loads of males out there who can recite it by rote. The whole 'correction' thing was unique to him because he was an artist and rather arrogant sometimes (justifiably so), so the fact that someone could actually correct him (on or about anything) was rather a novelty for him as well.

Generally my problem has been being obsessed with the wrong types of women, and failing to notice women who were more compatible.
    At my stage in life I'm not overly optimistic about finding someone I actually like when I have so little desire to interact with anyone beyond my kids, who get the priority.
    You're not alone in being attracted to the 'wrong types', scumble. Up until I met Bart I'd inevitably always fallen for the wrong guy and ended up miserable. Odd thing is, I was in my late 30s & separated from my then-husband when I met Bart (started work at the same place where he worked) and my kids were my priority, too (being a single mom is damned difficult). I wasn't actively looking for another mate, it just happened. It was a damned inconvenient time for me to be falling in love again, but I've got a feeling that's usually when that kind of thing happens.

I think a lot is dependent on you knowing yourself well enough to have an intuition about who is compatible. And the confidence to start reciting surreal poetry at the right time obviously...
    I'd never really thought about it in those terms, but you have a point. I'd only known Bart for about 8 months at that point and I had gotten to know & become closer friends with other people working there, but for whatever reason, it was his desk I sat down at that day. I'll never quite understand why I even did that, to be honest. It may have been, partly, that I'd already discovered that I could be myself around Bart (I knew he'd never mistake anything I said or did as me hitting on him or even flirting with him, or whatever) and that was already a plus in his favor. Instinct, intuition, fate, destiny or whatever; I have no regrets.
    Last edited by Dia; 9th Nov 2017 at 10:25.

So did you gyre and gimble in the wabe that first night Dia?

My wife and I worked together for a couple of years and I never once thought of asking her out. Oh she was pretty, beautiful in fact, but I figured not my type. One day she was talking about thinking of going to the movies but she didn't really want to go alone and I mistook that for a hint I should ask her out. I had recently been chided by one of my friends for not picking up on flirtations by women (I was not long out of a disastrous relationship like usual) so I figured I had this one down. I had it down alright... turned down. She said she had to think about it. I was nonplussed. Later that day she said yes but she did not want it to affect our work relations. Well sure.

She seemed so nervous as I drove that I pointed it out. She thought I was an ass until I said I was too (unusual for me). We saw Monty Pythons "The Meaning of Life". She says for her it was when I went to get drinks and saw the row behind her was empty so I set the drinks down and came up behind her to put my hands over her eyes and said "guess who" then as she turned to look I kissed her. It was a great first kiss. For me it was when we were still together without my having gone home the next day and I stood at the door that next evening saying I don't really want to go home and she said "So don't".

That's the short version. There's some wild and funny stuff too.