TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Death's Cold Embrace: Mission 2 "A Formula For Success"

Quote Originally Posted by kabir View Post
    I can't find the 4-digit numbers to open the vault inside Lord Highwater's office. I have spent over 2 hours looking for everything, reading every book I could find... =/
    Sorry, forgot to say I am playing on Expert.

You need to go into the guard captain's room in the barracks and look for a book. Before you go there you may need to steal his key.

Loved the doll house in Anne's room. Nice nod to Rose Cottage

I also assume the picture of Neuschwanstein is a nod to King's Story, another nice little 'cameo'.

I didn't know if I should spoiler this so I erred on the side of caution.

Playing on hard, I found a stool in the storage and couldn't interact with it.

Also on that topic, I managed to get into the secret room without the stool by getting one of the guards to play it's role. Then I got stuck inside. Is there a button to open the door from the inside?

There is a proper stool in one of the kids rooms, as mentioned in a readable.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    On Hard, the third stool is right outside the library in the sitting area. On Expert, it's in Philip's room. And other stools won't work, since the three special stools are "curiously heavy" so they trigger the pressure plates. And no there is no button inside to open it as far as I recall.

Really impressive mission, lovely windows, architecture, evidence of partying, and such lovely light cast through doorways when open - and dark when closed!
    Are there no bonus objectives? I would like to do something mean to the guard captain, and I wonder how the bet about Benny not passing out turned out... Maybe I will in a later mission?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    You'll just have to wait and see. I think a lot of time was spent on presenting the Captain character for him not to figure into things later on, don't you think?

How to open the lord's office?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    What difficulty level?

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    What difficulty level?
    on expert, thank you

Desperately dodgy geezer
    The office key is in a hidden wall safe in his bedroom, to the left of the bed behind the picture. The key to that safe is in his bathroom.

The office key is in a hidden wall safe in his bedroom, to the left of the bed behind the picture. The key to that safe is in his bathroom.
    Thank you very much! For the first time, I just could not find the swith in the bedroom.

Mission 2 crashes on start

I load mission 1 near the end, then take the mission to the end normally, then "continue" to Mission 2, but Mission 2 crashes each time as the opening cut scene tries to load.
    Three times now.
    Four.
    More.

I had no such problems with mission 1 (although I did encounter the crash with the conversation between the Hammerite and the guard as described in a post in the thread for mission 1).

Help. I really want to play this.

FYI:
    Windows XP
    Radeon 7750 graphics card
    New Dark 1.25
    AMD processor
    2 gig RAM
    Last edited by tone_lord; 15th Nov 2017 at 23:52.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Try something. In your Thief2 folder, open the strings folder and then open the file "missflag.str" in Notepad. Look for these lines:
    Code:
    miss_16: "skip" 
    miss_17: "no_briefing"
    miss_18: "no_briefing"
    and change the miss_17 line to "skip" also, like so:
    Code:
    miss_16: "skip" 
    miss_17: "skip"
    miss_18: "no_briefing"
    Save it, then restart T2 and start a new game instead of loading a save. It should start with mission 2 now, and perhaps it won't crash. If it does, look for the files crash.dmp and thief2.log and ZIP them up and get me a link or email them to me.

Perhaps some of the audio files are responsible for the crashing.

That did, in fact, solve the problem.
    Thanks.
    If the problem recurs, I'll know what to do.
    Can't wait to continue.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I just realized though that doing that will give you negative starting cash for mission 2. You can remedy this by opening the user.cfg file in a text editor and look for the lines
    Code:
    ;For starting loot, uncomment and modify the number
    ;on the next line.
    ;cash_bonus 1000
    Remove the semicolon from the last line and set the number to however much loot you found in mission 1. Once you complete mission 2 (or make a save game you can load), you should add the semicolon back since it will affect every future mission as well.

So I read that the code must be in some book in the captain's room. There was only his journal. One thing I noticed was some kind of vertical rails under the picture right in front of the table. Is that really a secret? Is that where the code is to be found? I think I've searched the whole room for hidden switches and found none. Please help.

Try searching the two bookcases in the upper corners in the captain's office.

Did someone else tried ghosting yet? If yes: were you able to sneak past the street guard without the first alert?

You'll just have to wait and see. I think a lot of time was spent on presenting the Captain character for him not to figure into things later on, don't you think?
    I was kinda hoping for a more "visual" punishment for that mf-er . But I admit that the way in which the conclusion of this side-story is delivered, subtly via readables that offer various points of view, is an excellent one as well.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    There is a pretty visual punishment on display in Mission 8!

Playing on hard where can i find the "dirty laundry" ?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    This Google spreadsheet has a sheet with spoilered details of all of the important items in mission 2 organized by difficulty:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Refer here