TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Ghost rules discussion

Ghost rules discussion

The official ghost rules emerged long ago on Eidos Forum. However, EF is dead now, and even if its content was migrated to Square Enix forums, it looks like the taffers avoid the latter stubbornly. Therefore, we need a place to discuss those rules, to make them more applicable to the modern world, compatible with newest ideas and innovations from FMs.

The latest official form of the Ghost Rules is here: https://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sh...ad.php?t=42986. Could a mod (1) post a copy here, (2) lock it and stick it on top and (3) adjust it when amendments are agreed upon? If necessary, I could take over (1) and (3).

Also I would like to propose the following amendment.

The rule #6 for Supreme Ghost, originally
    6. No dousing of torches and no moss arrow use is allowed: Turning off electric lights, snuffing candles, or removing any light source including Mushrooms is also Not Allowed.
    was already amended to
    6a. No dousing of torches. Turning off electric lights, snuffing candles, or removing any light source including Mushrooms is also Not Allowed.
    6b. No use of moss arrows to deaden noise.
    6c. The use of moss, water, and other arrows is allowed for other purposes, such as to hit a switch or to complete a puzzle element.
    But it must be further refined like this (changes in blue):
    6a. Dousing of torches, turning off electric lights, snuffing candles, or removing any light source including Mushrooms to create darkness for concealing purposes is Not Allowed.
    6b. No use of moss arrows to deaden noise.
    6c. The use of moss, water, and other arrows is allowed for other purposes, such as to hit a switch or to complete a puzzle element. This explicitly includes the usage of holy water arrows (allowing thus for an exceptional usage of Holy Water potion, otherwise forbidden by Rule #5).
    6d. It is allowed to remove light sources to obtain loot (e.g. lighted candlesticks) or to complete puzzle elements, as long as the player does not use the additional darkness for concealing purposes. It is also allowed to remove light sources created by the player, for instance torches lit for completing puzzle elements.
    Feel free to comment and suggest improvements. If there are no objections during the next days, the above changes become valid automatically.

I can't help with Ghosting rules but I do think some of the rules could do with a refresh to remove seemingly arbritray elements. And this would be the best place to host official rules.

For example Titanium Man allows you to save if you need to take a break for more than an hour, then later pick up where you left off. So if I found that I was ready to start playing again 53m later I would wait the 7 mins just to make it an hour. But really, why should I have to do this? It has nothing to do with the challendge in any real way whether my break was less than an hour.

Anyway, "The use of moss, water, and other arrows is allowed for other purposes..." the problem with rules like that is that unless you stipulate ALL exceptions, there is nothing to stop a player inventing a made up purpose. For example, my purpose in using the moss arrow is decoration. I like the way their green pattern contrasts with the floor. And if that coincidentally means that section of florr becomes quieter, well so be it.

You might say I am taking the mick but nothing actually breaks the rules here.

But that would break rule 6b. One could rephrase 6c more precisely: "The use of moss, water, and other arrows is allowed for other purposes, such as to hit a switch or to complete a puzzle element, as long as the player does not use the result to enhance Garrett's natural sneaking abilities" (or "as long as the player does not violate 6a and 6b").

Also, I personally have no issue with a whitelist of exceptions, provided that the rules are continuously kept up-to-date to match authors' creativity. As they were first drafted, there were no golden candlesticks that needed to be snuffed before taken. And barely, if any, missions where the player had to use gas, moss or holy water arrows: not to avoid/disable enemy AI, but to complete puzzles like in Morbid Curiosity or Endless Rain. So it's understandable why they written as such.

And I agree with you on Titanium Man rule, an inflexible limit of 60 minutes (why not 42?) is not in the spirit of the rule.

klatremus is our man.
    Enhanced Thief Fan Missions Archive: [TTLG thread]
    DromEd Level Editor Developer Textures Kit: [TTLG thread]