TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 159 of 159 FirstFirst ... 59109114119124129134139144149154155156157158159
Results 3,951 to 3,970 of 3970

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Administrator
    I got a free trial for Netflix to watch Star Trek Discovery. I don't keep up with entertainment news and I've forgotten half the stuff everyone said here, apart from being annoyed by what they did to the Klingons. I guess the best way to approach them is that they're just another "Star Trek Alien" with an oddly shaped head on a human body. I did prefer the long hair on the TNG/DS9 era Klingons. I like the fact that they do speak Klingon to each other in Klingon scenes.

I did want to see more Michelle Yeoh but never mind. I'm also not sure why the lead female character is called Michael.

Overall I think it's got a good Trek vibe to it, with some more modern additions that compliment the history. We get a bit more realistic violence because there aren't the old American TV restrictions. We also get some proper swearing. Even a gay couple. A time loop episode done in a way that's unlike the previous ones. That one was obviously influenced by the TNG episode where the Enterprise kept blowing up but it works just as well.

Overall I felt I was getting a good helping of Trek that was a bit different but hooks up with my nostalgic memories of watching Trek in the past. Doesn't work that way for every Trek fan clearly but there was nothing that made me think anything they did was way off what makes Trek what it is, if that makes sense.

Still Subjective
    Except the "Spock's adopted sister" bs, that I hated.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Watched the Evil Dead remake from a few years back. First off, I don't have any issues with this being remade. Evil Dead 2 is of course a pitch-perfect slapstick-comedy-horror-classic that should never be altered or remade, but the first one? It's a so-so horror movie only remarkable because of what came after it, so remake away! So, how did it turn out? Not great. Horror relies heavily on unpredictability, and although this version has some new tweaks to the story, the main thread is the same, so what happens is never very surprising or unexpected, and thus, not very scary. The movie doesn't have much going for it besides scares either, since the characters are dull as dishwater and there are no jokes. HOWEVER, in the final 15 minutes or so the movie does go off the beaten track and results are fantastic. It gets crowdpleasing in the most satisfying way: tense, gory, and hilarious. If only the rest of the movie had lived up to this energy.

Y'know what, here, just watch the final 3 minutes, that's all you need. NSFW!

I'd recommend (if your an Evil Dead fan) to watch the "Ash vs Evil Dead" TV show. That is fantastic. And is essentially Evil Dead 4, just in TV show form.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'll watch it when/if it shows up on any streaming service I have access to.

oh btw I just watched American Graffiti! aka that movie George Lucas made before Star Wars, starring Ron Howard and an insanely young-looking Richard Dreyffus. It's a real SLICE OF DREYFF!

Han Solo is in it too for a little bit.

I liked it. I like movies that take place during one day, or in this case, night. I especially like these movies after I've had a couple drinks. As I have now. Great soundtrack too. Introduced me to a couple great The Flamingos and Beach Boys songs I hadn't heard before.

Just got back from watching "The Disaster Artist" at the cinema. Now I fully understand and agree that "The Room" is a 1 out of 10 kinda movie. And yet I absolutely love it. Kinda puts into question the whole rating system in a way, as if you love it but know it's bad, then is it really bad? I wonder. I love movies like Sharknado for example, which are purposely bad. The Room (I think) was not intended to be bad, but is, but then is great. So what is it? I dunno.

Anyways. I digress. The Room is a niche kinda movie, as only some people like the "so bad their good" style movies, and The Disaster artist is a makings of The Room / what led up to and following of it. Which is again even more niche. But as I love The Room, I found this movie really damn fascinating into the pursuit of ones dream against all odds + the "advice" of others. And that I can understand from my own life of a pursuit since childhood of trying to get a job in the games industry. So Tommy having the dream of acting / later directing a movie I can understand and get behind. And for that I really enjoyed this movie. It really puts you into the heads of both Tommy and Greg.

I too also understand how some of us live in our worlds so to speak, and are often not understood by others and so get mocked, laughed at etc etc. That I completely get and understand. What some of the people say about Tommy both to and behind his back is truly horrible stuff, and would put anyone in a negative head space. The world can be a horrible place. Him saying (essentially) fuck the world, I'm doing this anyway is something that he deserves praise for, regardless of how the movie turned out.

If you too love the movie "The Room" then I'd HIGHLY recommend going and watching this. Of note, stay for the credits all the way to the end. That's all I'll say.

10/10 for the Disaster Artist. 1 out of 10 for the Room (though to me it's a 6-7 based on how oddly great it is, in a so bad its good ratio). Tommy as a person I understand now after watching this. Not many movies do it this well. James Franco + his brother do top notch stuff. One thing I'll mention (which I also saw in review videos of this make mention of) is that for about the first 20 minutes I felt like I was just watching another James Franco movie of him just sending up someone, but then I adjusted to the movie and got into it's zone and then I really enjoyed it from then on. You'll likely find yourself in that same place at the beginning. It's also a movie that will leave you pondering about it all long afterwards, as you see from my spoiler text above.
    Last edited by icemann; 7th Dec 2017 at 08:48.

I read the book The Disaster Artist around when it came out. I really didn't have any inkling of a backstory, so it really made an impression, since it's such a great backstory about friendship, oddity, and total commitment to a dream no matter how absurd, which I imagine the movie captures really well. I also like all the little touches where we learn the origins of various scenes in the movie.

My ultimate take away was that the whole thing from the start is really a buddy story between Tommy and Greg.

The movie completely matches that aspect.

Administrator
    I have never seen The Room and now I feel I'm missing out on a cultural touchstone.

Instead, I watched the 2014 Mexican film The Incident (El incidente for MrDuck) - it's on Netflix. It has some horrible acting and characters that are difficult to empathise with. It reminds me of something from the SCP Foundation (incidentally, I'm actually amazed that site is still posting updates). The basic premise is that two groups of people are trapped in spacial "bubbles" - travelling away from your starting point brings you back to where you started. Without spoiling too much the film considers how these people cope with the situation and why different individuals respond better than others.

It isn't a perfect film but as I'm a sucker for any type of spacial or time distorting film I'd recommend it. At the very least it links together far more threads of the story than I'd initially expected and although the basic premise is ludicrous the message it delivers is food for thought.

Due to telephone line issues causing my internet speed to drop to about a 10th of it's normal speed and dropping out often, UPlay refused to sync my latest saves of Assassin's Creed - Rogue, so needed something else to do. So I finally got around to watching "The Graduate". An odd kinda movie, though I can see it's influence on many movies much later on.

Some great music by Simon and Garfunkel in there (though repeated use of a few tracks got annoying towards the end). A couple of actors I recognized in there besides Hoffman (eg Richard Drewfus, William Daniels who I knew from Boy Meets World etc). A good coming of age / finding ones self in early adulthood kinda movie. Plus this started off the Milf / Cougar side of things. Mrs Robinson sure was an attractive lady.

7/10

The ending bit in the church was a bit random, but the final bit with them on the bus and the look that comes onto their faces, leaves you wondering what happened afterward. Wouldn't have been a happily ever after that's for sure. The movie as a whole is a window into that time period, with quick marriages etc. But the aspect with Hoffman feeling lost after graduating and stressing over the pressures of getting his life on a successful path was an interesting point to start from. Gives the character a relatable mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by bassoferrol View Post
    They probably should've gone before the show started.

I have no idea what's going on in that video.

Moderator and Priest
    I think they're speaking another language or something.

Due to that I meant .

Cocaine at its most, Im afraid.
    They are speaking in the same language that Los Angeles or San Francisco or Florida or Colorado or Sacramento or San Diego etc are written in.

Moderator and Priest
    The Last Jedi is the only new Star Wars movie I've seen in the theater that actually managed to meet my expectations. I daresay it might've even managed to surpass them a bit.

My only complaint is that, at 2 1/2 hours, it's a little overlong.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I have no idea what's going on in that video.
    Hello and then something about the number five and a moment and much much something and something is top quality and also important and the number eight and very family something and good and then an important positive moment and one something real about TV and exactly and I think he called somebody a bitch and the word this and then she called somebody a friend and he called somebody a devil and talked about a wine store and she agreed and he said something is good and called somebody a friend and something about the cast and she thinks it's the best and I couldn't watch her trip her brains out anymore.

I hope that helps.

Interesting

Moderator and Priest
    Sounds like Thanksgiving dinner at my house!

Page 159 of 159 FirstFirst ... 59109114119124129134139144149154155156157158159