TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Importing hierarchy_export.txt

Importing hierarchy_export.txt

If I liked a custom object in my former gamesys, I would normally export hierarchy_export.txt from Dromed, to remember settings on a custom object.

I wanted to work on getting sliptip's continuous smoke emitters to be imported into my cow gamesys, to have some fancy torches but noticed there's way too many hierarchy categories to type in manually. Is there a way to just import the hierarchy_export.txt?

Export and import as .dml maybe? (only works for single objects)

----------------
    Find someone to write a script(not meaning squirrel in this case) which formats hierarchy_export.txt into .dml format syntax. :P
    Actually I wrote a squirrel script which lets you import objects and also creates archetypes on the way( DML can't do that) but that's not help full here.
    Last edited by Daraan; 10th Dec 2017 at 06:56.

I think the best course of action is to export the archetype and each of its parents as DML. That'll store the properties. It'll also store any links going from it (but not to). Also export the destinations of those links.

there's way too many hierarchy categories to type in manually
    You can copy archetype names. Open the properties of each one and double click the name.

In the target mission you'll have to rebuild the hierarchy, but that won't be hard. After each archetype has been remade (including any link destinations), you can then load each DML file (File > Load DBMod)

Quote Originally Posted by Daraan View Post
    Actually I wrote a squirrel script which lets you import objects and also creates archetypes on the way( DML can't do that) but that's not help full here.
    Er what is with the sarcasm? I see scripts and my eyes roll in the back of my head, because I haven't tackled them yet. I didn't know such scripts to import this way existed, but also, don't mistake no replies with a lack of interest. Sometimes it's overwhelming, and also, when someone is really talented, it's like there's nothing more you can say. We all basically ghosted The Watcher on his latest screenshot because yeah, it's the same awesome area by the gate showing the distant city. We can't salivate no more harder.
    Thank you for replying.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I think the best course of action is to export the archetype and each of its parents as DML. That'll store the properties. It'll also store any links going from it (but not to). Also export the destinations of those links.

You can copy archetype names. Open the properties of each one and double click the name.

In the target mission you'll have to rebuild the hierarchy, but that won't be hard. After each archetype has been remade (including any link destinations), you can then load each DML file (File > Load DBMod)
    Yeah I saw that if it existed it would work, I just didn't want to set up all the names if there was a easier way. The modders notes didn't say so, yet I still wondered why NewDark had this without a import button. Sliptip had his or her emitter archetype structure so well thought out, none of it OM gamesys, I was just going to add the whole thing. Thank you for replying.

Thank you both again.

Quote Originally Posted by gamophyte View Post
    Er what is with the sarcasm?
    No sarcasm there. Sorry if that somehow sounded like it - I didn't intend to and can't see it.

Thing is I really created such a SqScript but it works on a spreadsheet or .str file. It can create Archetypes and add properties but no links and you have to "type in manually" some stuff so it's not helpful for your case.

Sorry again script talk:
    As site note I created it to import like ~400 models in my obj folder which are not included in any gamesys automatically.
    2nd Thing it could become something like a import X models from hierarchy_export.txt but a) it's not ready for it and b) it would need a little external program - a .bat file maybe (I have no experience there) - to format the hirarchy.txt into a ImportMyModels.str (Thief is very restrictive on external files and how they have to look like.)
    To the question why NewDark has no import button is that what I learned from my tests that it's very difficult to create new valid Archetypes behind the scenes. Sorry that I'm digressing further from the topic. Archetypes seam to be a bit more that simple linked objects in the hierarchy, there slumbers something more, something invisible deep inside thief. Site note again: I was able to create invalid Archetypes which you could create and behaved perfectly ingame but didn't survive a save&reload. And I think the NewDark creator(s) had the same problem. (My Trick: Adding real Archetypes to be edited via .vbr, which stupidly has that power to create unnecessary archetypes)
    On the other side it is no problem to add properties/links to existing objects internally and .dml probably just uses these standard methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Daraan View Post
    there slumbers something more, something invisible deep inside...
    That sounds like an intro to a scary FM.

Pretty fascinating stuff Daraan! I will work with what I got. Perhaps there will be something I miss and need to learn by cheating this way. I should build them myself.

@ R Soul. I'm not one for horror FMs but I played on in my dreams the other day that was so so fun, I gotta do something like it some day.

@Daraan - not sure if this is related or not but may solve your mystery potentially.
    Telliamed (I believe) wrote once a program called ObjTree for browsing and maybe editing .gam files. Here's an excerpt from the documentation:
    The property list will always show at least two properties: "DonorType" and "SymbolicName". These properties aren't shown in DromEd. DonorType should be 1 for meta-properties, and 0 for any other object. The symbolic name is just the object's name.
    Maybe you're missing them?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    May be mistaken, but I don't think ObjTree can edit a gamesys, only display it in a hierarchical fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    May be mistaken, but I don't think ObjTree can edit a gamesys, only display it in a hierarchical fashion.
    There is a save option and also an import objects with all gimmicks via xml. (For me sadly) The importer seams to be limted to 1024 characters which is about 4 objects.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    @Daraan - not sure if this is related or not but may solve your mystery potentially.
    Maybe you're missing them?
    This is such a good and important point but I knew about them and even actually that made them savable but they - yes even with symbolic name and manual editing - were only labeled as UNKNOWN, which is not acceptable.