TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Breath of the Wild

El Shagmeister
    I dunno why, but seeing you play Nintendo games, henke, makes me happy.

<3

Moderator and Priest
    That Finding Secrets video. That's the shrine at Ulria Grotto in south Akkala, right? If it is, I feel kinda lame now, since all I did was shoot bomb arrows at it to open it up.

Interesting. I did that bit completely different.

I glided down then used some explosive arrows. The challenge was that most times I was there it always bloody raining as I'd not taken out the water element divine beast yet. So had to get super close for the arrows to work.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yup, it's the one in south Akkala. And yeah, I love many different solutions are available for any problem. I guess another way to do it would be to attach one of those octo baloons to some kinda explosive, then have it drift over there on the wind?

I actually didn't even think of just blowing it up with bomb arrows. That would've been way easier.

Try doing it whilst its raining. Pain in the ass.

Had to redo it a dozen times. Half the fun is working out your solutions to the challenges thrown at you though.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I fought GANON!

And lost. I think I was doing pretty good though, but I just couldn’t figure out the trick to the last stage.

I managed to beat him the other day, but not without much trial and error.

Not much of a trick beyond "git good at parry".

That’s kind of a spoiler. Figuring out what to do is part of the challenge.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh? Well I don't mind having it spoiled as I never would've thought of it otherwise. Totally forgot I had that move. Haven't used it once since the tutorial.

Not even for the Guardians? hardcore man hardcore

Level 10,000 achieved
    My tactic for guardians has been "run as fast as I can in the other direction".

I actually haven't done much combat in this game. I usually just avoid enemies.

Moderator and Priest
    Guardians are easy, so long as you're using ancient arrows. Buy about 20-30 of them, and go running around Hyrule Field, killing them all in one hit.

I sat down one day and practiced parrying on Lynels until I could do it, and it makes fighting them a lot more interesting.

My favourite tactic for the big guardians is to cut their legs off one by one. That way you get more ancient parts, and also they can’t chase you. Works best with the master sword.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Mmm, I think the train has left the station as far as me ever getting good at combat in this game is concerned.

Even after 50+ hours the combat has never clicked with me, like it did with Dark Souls. Doesn't feel like these enemies telegraph their attacks as much, and I can never get the timing of dodges right.

Though I guess the game is also enabling me by never forcing me to get good in order to progress. It's always so easy to just avoid, or cheese, any enemy encounters.
    Last edited by henke; 13th Dec 2017 at 03:04.

I just used the bombs. Got pretty good at it after a while.

The only time I used actual melee attacks was when fighting Lynel's as I needed items from them for gear upgrades. Lynel drop some good weapons and bows.

Moderator and Priest
    You can chop their legs off? Well holy shit...

Wait, not parry. I never got the hang of that. Just the dodges.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    You can chop their legs off? Well holy shit...
    Yeah, and you get loads of ancient parts if you do it that way.
    I'm a lot less subtle about the way I play BoTW. I can't be doing with all that learning of attack patterns (most of the time; Lynels demand it of you), so I just charge right in and twat their legs with the Master Sword, then shoot them in the eye when I see them getting ready to fire.

Level 10,000 achieved
    My journey is completed!

Parrying ended up not helping much (because I suck at it). Mainly I wore him down by firing bomb arrows so that they struck him during the brief vulnerability after he unleashed a ranged attack. Luckily I went in there with ~60 bomb arrows.

Southquarter.com/fms
    So are you like, DONE done? I keep wondered if I complete the game, will I bother to go back and finish all the side quests and stuff. Usually I don't, once I've defeated the main boss.

This post contains a sort of spoiler, but I don't want to put the whole thing in blue, so beware.

The problem is that once you beat the game, there's no endgame; you just get a star by your save file, and then when you load it, you're put right outside Ganon's door as if nothing happened. I was really hoping that the game would keep going to let me finish all the shrines and look for Korok seeds without the looming threat of the castle in the distance. I figured they could change a few characters' dialogue to congratulate me, and maybe Zelda could get a few lines. It would seem to suit the style of game. They wouldn't have to go nuts with it; just tweak a few things like what happens in Earthbound. But no.

That said, I've sunk over 200 hours into it, and I haven't explored everywhere yet or finished the second expansion, and I still feel like playing it. I think as long as I still have the expansion to motivate me, I'll continue. And while a part of me wants to find every Korok seed, I wouldn't put money on me actually finishing that job.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm DONE done, for the moment. I might get an itch for more Zelda in a few months and go back and wrap up sidequests and find remaining shrines and whatnot, maybe even pick up the DLC. That motorbike does look sweet.

For now, I'm gonna move on to some other games. Perhaps I'll finally play Rise of the Tomb Raider or Hitman, which have been sitting around, unloved, for too long. I should also pick up Mario+Rabbids and Golf Story for the Switch at some point.

Thing What Kicks
    Rise is okay, but overall not as good as the previous game.
    But you should really play Hitman. Especially seeing how they've been reactivating elusive targets recently.

Isn't one of the upcoming DLCs going to be set after the end of the game? I'm sure I read something a few months back.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345