TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steam Xmas Sales

Second that.

It could have been much worse than Steam. We could be stuck with Microsoft and its GFWL.

Moderator and Priest
    Don't say that. Don't even entertain the notion...

Or EA could have taken over with Origin.

I don't mind GoG's Galaxy service.

Origin's fine. And unlike Steam, it actually works offline.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I care a lot more about rewarding studios I like for their games, like Arkane, than bemoaning the admin it takes to do that most conveniently.
    That Admin is nearly as rich as the Donald on the back of the hard work of other developers. I'm not even too bothered about it, if only he'd use some of that spare cash to fund HL3 the fat f***.

Quote Originally Posted by Craeftig View Post
    if only he'd use some of that spare cash to fund HL3 the fat f***.
    Half-Life 3 will never be the game anyone imagines. At this point you should just expect it to turn into Duke Nukem Forever 2 if it ever gets made.

Why bother trying to improve on anything though? Half life 2 had some pretty big boots to fill as well.

HL3 was in development hell of the the worst kind. All the money in the world couldn't have saved it.
    If you ever try to make a game, you'll be a lot more sympathetic to the notion that sometimes projects just fall apart.

I realize that. HL2 was actually completely scrapped halfway through development and restarted. Obviously that process would be a lot more expensive and time consuming today.

It's all hypothetical anyway, but if you look at things like Origin, one thing to keep in mind is that it has been developed in competition with Steam. It might have been very different if EA had had the near-monopoly all along.

Even GOG is kind of a reaction to Steam in that it's set up deliberately in opposition to it.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Origin's fine. And unlike Steam, it actually works offline.
    Origin's alright. It's just that, between Steam and GOG, it doesn't offer anything to justify its existence. It's just EA wanting to sell EA games on EA's platform.

I accidentally convinced a friend not to get Stardew Valley since she already spent a lot this xmas.

I feel dirty :x

It's EA not wanting to pay 30% of their revenue. I can't really blame them. For smaller companies, replicating Steam's capabilities is just out of the question. For the larger companies, it's a huge potential savings. 'Course, there are EA games I'd probably have if they were on Steam, so it's not like there isn't a downside.

I guess the hope is that they lose fewer than 30% of their sales because of people who don't want yet another gaming platform running on their PCs.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Here's my haul:-

PC:-
    South Park: The Fractured But Whole - Gold Edition
    Front Mission Evolved
    Vanquish
    The Shivah
    Technobabylon
    Duke Nuken 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour
    Beholder DLC: Blissful Sleep
    Resident Evil 7 Gold Edition
    Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition
    PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
    Resonance

PS4:-
    Bloodborne Complete Edition

PS3:-
    Metal Gear Solid (PS1 Classic)
    Suikoden (PS1 Classic)
    Front Mission 3 (PS1 Classic)
    Vagrant Story (PS1 Classic)
    Suikoden 4 (PS2 Classic)

Xbox 360:-
    Dead Rising 2: Case West
    Soul Calibur 2 HD Online
    Blue Dragon DLCs
    Lost Odyssey DLCs

Playing Soul Calibur 2 again has been a glorious shot of nostalgia. I played the shit out of it on Gamecube.

They need to release a PC port of Bloodborne already. At least you can play Demon's Souls in PS3 emulators pretty decently now, and better looking even than on the original hardware (since the emulator is capable of 4k resolution).

Last edited by icemann; 4th Jan 2018 at 22:09.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm still surprised someone was able to pull off PS3 emulation so quickly. With it's internal architecture being as overly convoluted as it is, I figured it'd take decades before it'd finally happen.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 4th Jan 2018 at 23:21.

Bloodborne is probably the only game that makes me regret quitting console gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I'm still surprised someone was able to pull off PS3 emulation so quickly. With it's internal architecture being as overly convoluted as it is, I figured it'd take decades before it'd finally happen.
    Part of it is due to the fact that the 2 coders are working on it full time, living off donations by supporters on patreon. But I agree completely. Work on emulation does not usually go this quick from nothing -> some games running great.

PSP emulation is the only other one that improved so fast that I can think of.

Moderator and Priest
    PSP emulation came about fairly quickly due to the PSP itself being a rather simple, straightforward machine. It was probably like emulating a more powerful PS1, with a couple extra bits and bobs to account for.

Steam Winter Loot:

SteamWorld Dig 2 (completed)
    Chroma Squad (done the tutorial mission)
    Just Cause 3 XL (completed initial island)
    Kaiju-A-GoGo: Grey Goop DLC (messed around with it for 5+ hours)
    Jubei for BlazBlue Centralfiction (DLC Character, played with for a bit)

I got a bunch of stuff, but StarCrawlers seems the most promising after a short time with it. It's basically cyberpunk Grimrock with dialogue trees, short missions (like, loot a derelict spaceship, or clear a biolab which has been infested with strange creatures), and instanced, turn-based combat - so none of the dancing around tiles waiting for your attacks to charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Come on, it's a console. How complicated can it actually be.

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    Come on, it's a console. How complicated can it actually be.
    Ask a Sega Saturn programmer. 7 different chips to develop for, rather than usual 2.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast