TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

WW2 get's a tad too much FPS love imo. If you look at how many video games and mods there has been that have been set in WW2 it's CRAZY. There's more WW2 games than Star Wars.

Pick a different war to focus on ffs.

It's refreshing when you've spent all year playing with late cold war era mods.

Also, I think we've had a pretty long break from WW2. It's not like around the Medal of Honor days when WW2 was omnipresent.

Does ARK mostly play with the CUP mods, Neb? We're about to add those to our Saturday TTLG sessions.

Mixing my time between Dishonored 2 - Death of The Outsider and Dead Cells.

So far the winner is Dead Cells as that's been a breath of fresh air. Damn hard game, which is one of the games biggest appeals. Been playing it since yesterday, and the furthest I've reached is the first boss. It's fun slowly improving at the game (in a very similar way to Dark Souls) learning enemy patterns and mastering the controls. Unlocking a new permanent ability every now and then via the elite enemies is great. When I can actually beat them, and get a good reward. Turret use seems to work best for me there.

DotO on the other hand is more Dishonored 2 minus the special abilities. For Dishonored 2 I went full stealth and non lethal (with 2 exceptions), for this one I'm going full chaos whilst still going stealth. If your going to play Dishonored you have to play it Thiefy. Only played 1 mission due to Dead Cells. Seems good from what I've seen.

Just finished Gorogoa on iPad. It’s a beautiful, wonderfully crafted puzzle game, though it’s very short and not a little cryptic. If you’re into surrealism and don’t mind your puzzlers being dreamlike rather than logical, check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    So far the winner is Dead Cells as that's been a breath of fresh air.
    I look forward to hearing more of your exploits in the realms of Dead Cells. It's definitely a game worth playing again and again, even once you've beaten the (current) final boss several times.

Moderator and Priest
    I've beat Dead Cells twice now (or at least as close as you can get to beating it during the beta), and there's still tons upon tons upon tons of stuff for me to find and do. Even though a good single playthrough only takes about 30-45 minutes, it's not a game anyone coming into it new will be done with anytime soon.

It's damn awesome is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    I look forward to hearing more of your exploits in the realms of Dead Cells. It's definitely a game worth playing again and again, even once you've beaten the (current) final boss several times.
    Well I'm a HUGE fan of Dark Souls, The 2D Castlevania games and Metroidvania style games in general, and this has all 3 in the one game. I find that amazing.

I'm playing Phoning Home at the moment, but I'm ready to quit it; I have other games I'd rather play. The good parts are what kept me going, but the bad parts are now starting to get as lousy as the good parts are great (my character is practically blind at the moment, which makes the bad parts stand out a lot more). It also shares a common problem with other games in this genre: too much empty space. I'm running out of both patience and motivation.

Edit:
    It feels like I am pretty close to the end, though, so I should probably press on and at least finish it. I mean, the game has a few problems, but I've also had some fun with it. On the other hand, I just remembered why I sort of rage-quitted earlier: I'm out in a raging snow storm, so half the time I'm practically blind, have to do all work by myself, but still my side-character, who I left behind in a cave, because she can't stand the weather, is complaining, and I have to collect 48 things of a certain type, all while navigating a maze of dead ends. This part feels tacked on as filler.

The best part was when I was out of resources (which meant no weapons) and had low stats, but had to fight a sort of boss, which meant I had to get creative and find an alternative solution instead of the expected one (the best thing is that the game allowed it: there is a system of tools available and it's up to the player to use them in any way they see fit without the problems presented being strictly scripted (I realize now that there is a tool that could probably be used for fast travel and skipping through the empty space -- unfortunately that tool is a little awkward: as many other things it's plagued with small annoyances)).

I don't think I'm too much into crafting and collecting resources, because it quickly gets too repetitive for me, but if that's your thing, you will probably enjoy this game a lot more, because the crafting system works well and without issues, and there are lots of stuff to collect. I also wish my side-character could have been more useful and active, allowing us to work together more often and helping each other -- or, well, to be honest, not exist at all, or at least had the role as a comic relief toned down, because as so many other comic sidekicks, this one is more often annoying than refreshingly witty.

The environments are well crafted and also tell a good story about what happened. The story is actually pretty interesting (there is a bit of both show and tell), but could have been alluded to more, while skipping other parts.
    Last edited by qolelis; 28th Dec 2017 at 03:05.

I’m in the second mission of Death of the Outsider, and I’ve come to realise that I’m not a huge fan of what they’ve done with the city and with contracts. These do open up the game and its world, but the flip side is that at least the second mission is lacking in focus. I like Dishonored best when there’s a clearer focus - go there, do this - and any alternative approaches and side missions develop more organically out of this.

A part of me wonders if they didn't change the way the side stories were presented because of all the people who missed most of the content in DH and DH2 and were like LOL THE GAME IS 5 HOURS LONG.

Could be. I also think that the way the powers work, the levels are designed and the characters positioned, Death of the Outsider is trying to push me out of my "sneak around, choke people, stack them in a closet" comfort zone and towards alternative approaches. I understand why it's doing this - but I like my stealthy, choky comfort zone. (I'm currently in the singer's house, and I get the impression you pretty much have to either do an Agent 47 or be a lot more aggressive.

Finding Paradise is a worthy sequel to To The Moon, and well worth the $10 bucks it costs, at least for those who enjoyed To The Moon. It's slightly longer, about 5 hours, and to understand the story it helps to also have played the Minisodes that were released after To The Moon.

It's a bit less emotionally touching than its predecessor though. To balance this, the story has a little more complexity this time. The arcade sequences are still there, but this time they're relevant to the plot and aren't too annoying.

I recommend this game for anyone who liked To The Moon. If you didn't, don't bother with this one either.

Yesterday I did the second mission for that (Death of the Outsider). Feels kinda odd going round killing everyone in the game, when my play through of the main game wasn't that long ago and that being a non lethal run. Though you go numb to it after a while. I was surprised when the game suddenly gives you all the powers. I'd forgotten about that bit from the reviews I'd read ages ago.

In Dead Cells I managed to get past the first boss. Once only. No new main upgrades gained, besides access to the dailies (obtained via that boss). The rest of the time has been me unlocking stuff sssslllllllllooooooooowwwwwwllllllyyyyyy over time. It takes AGES to get the bigger cell investment stuff unlocked. I thought if I got my potions count up 1 that that would make a massive difference, but nope didn't make that much. I spent much of today trying to get past the Ossuary stage. Took me countless hours before I managed it. Funnily enough, after that I found that stage easier than the Ramparts alternate and started clearing it with no trouble at all. Just as with Dark Souls (and much less Castlevania) once you get the tactics down your all good. My only trouble being that I found turret and item use the best way to clear it without much need for potion use. So there is this one elite that I wont dare take on, since it's always in this enclosed room with spikes all over the walls. So close quarters. And I'm all about keeping my distance in that stage.

Since that particular elite + that room seems to be repeating in many of my visits to that stage, my bet is that he has a needed item. Grrr. I'll have to brave it again. This game gets the anxiety meter raised much like Dark Souls, and also the original AvP back when it didn't have manual saving. You get so nervous about taking on the more harder enemies since you have so much to lose, but then you need the items they give to progress. Catch 22. The level straight after the boss (Black Cauldron I think it was called) was a piece a cake compared to Ossuary. Whilst I did die in the end, I got through what seemed like 3/4 without much of an issue as I had a good turret combo setup which kept enemies at a distance for the majority of the time. I wish they'd alternate the music on the first stage. You hear that music SO MUCH, it gets annoying after a while.
    Last edited by icemann; 28th Dec 2017 at 13:25.

Moderator and Priest
    Just as with Dark Souls (and much less Castlevania) once you get the tactics down your all good.
    The most interesting thing about that is that the farther you get into the game, the more stuff you're likely to have access to, and thus the better chance of getting a set of weapons that'll force you to use wildly different playstyles.

Still Subjective
    I finally started Invisible Inc now I've a large enough HD on my laptop for Steam and games.

Also revisiting Spacechem.

It takes AGES to get the bigger cell investment stuff unlocked. I thought if I got my potions count up 1 that that would make a massive difference, but nope didn't make that much.
    A full run where you beat the (current) final boss should net you 200+ cells in total (depending on which route you take, how thorough you are and luck). As far as potion count goes, I really like the extra security 4 (current maximum) gives you, but the last one is kinda grindy. Having a bigger potion makes it less risky to fully explore each level for scrolls, gold, items and secrets.
    Since that particular elite + that room seems to be repeating in many of my visits to that stage, my bet is that he has a needed item.
    It's not a required item and strictly speaking neither is the Teleportation Rune, but it does open up a new path and several "secret" areas in most zones. The only needed item is the Vine Rune as you can't progress through the Promenade or visit other zones without it.

I really need to start rolling more. I did some reading on that elite, which apparently is called a "slasher". The best tactic I've read is to roll each time it attacks in it's 3 slash combo. Trouble for me is that I'm too used to Castlevania where jumping away gets you out of trouble. In this game jumping to avoid damage works far less. Still does work sometimes, but it's not a good thing for that elite or even the normal version of it due to how wide the attacks are. So I need to roll more.

Put a few hours into Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The Sky and while it eventually gets pretty good, I dunno what it is with Nihon-Falcom and hours of exposition at the beginning of all of their games. I swear to god you don't even see the turn-based combat engine until like 2 hours into the prologue.

I've switched to Quern now and got a new favourite Myst-like (this could easily have been what Myst would have looked like if it had been made today). It's in actual 3D, which works well, but I can restrict movement to 2D, which helps in some cases. There's also an in-game notebook, which is nice, but I still keep pen and paper close by (partly out of nostalgia (I still have the Myst notebook neatly tucked away -- and the hints envelope is still sealed), but also partly because the in-game notebook doesn't cover all use cases).

The slasher elite is dead. Long live (in un-death) the slasher elite. Once I had a feel for the tactics to go in with the battle was a cinch. Rune acquired which allows me to break through one of the block types. Not a major upgrade but here and there it'll get me into new rooms and sections, possibly other levels if it's like the teleportation rune. Straight after that slaughtered the 1st boss without any issue at all. Rolling and freezing appears to work like a charm there. Then took on the following level and breezed through that no problems. Only issue was the level following which works off a light mechanic of when your surrounding light dwindles down to next to nothing then you start taking damage. Very annoying level that I'm not excited AT ALL to take on again. Catch 22 is that unlike other bits where you have branching paths if you have the right items, but this one is reliant on having keys which you find about the place. Grr.

Might farm levels for blue prints as I have the grenade that gets you those.

[edit]
    I should point out one potential problem with this game, which I suspect I'll run into in the same way that I ran into it in "Deep Dungeons of Doom" is the "too long to have the strength to go through it again" issue, which since you can't jump ahead in levels means having to slog through the entire game to beat it, all without checkpoints or ways to skip ahead. In Deep Dungeons of Doom, if you look to the Steam reviews (or my earlier posts on it) suffered GREATLY in it's later sections since you were expected to slog through 50+ quick levels in a row (which would take about 30-40 minutes minimum) then get only 1 shot at a boss with tactics unlike the enemies prior, so if you died you'd have to do it all, all over again. Grr, even the memory of that makes me shudder. Uninstalled that game after one of those experiences.

Dead Cells if they keep adding levels to it (which going by the updates over time so far that this game has received, this is the course it's heading), they'll hit this point pretty damn soon, which is not fun. Castlevania and Dark Souls which this game relies heavily off, have save points (in Castlevania's case with the Metroidvania entries) which helpfully don't create mammoth undertakings to complete the game as a whole. Dead Cells on the other hand goes even further than even Deep Dungeons of Doom (which only had you do 1 whole section / dungeon) by having you need to get through all the levels (not counting level branching) with no check points or ways to quickly jump back to where you were last. Or I've not unlocked that, if that's even in the game which I really doubt is in it.

So this creates a point where if the game goes beyond a certain amount of levels that it all starts to get a bit ridiculous. I've not hit that point yet, but I'm just speculating due to the light based level I tried to get through. Dark Souls even, for as hardcore as that game is, does not go THAT hardcore. So this is a step beyond that. I'd pick 6-8 levels max as the magic number. Go beyond that with the expectation for players to have to get through it all, as a bit too much. Checking Google, it tells me that there is 8 levels. They better not go beyond that, unless they add a teleportation chamber or something, which then runs you into the problem (unlike Dark Souls and Castlevania) where you'd be massively underpowered to be able to take on the endgame content. Catch 22.

I will say though, that the satisfaction I got when I beat that slasher elite was EXACTLY like Dark Souls. And that's nothing but a good thing. Though once you beat the game, I don't see the motivation to keep going after that. Just as with Dark Souls. I never played new game + or anything like that. I get that there are other people out there, that do enjoy that stuff, but that's not me.
    Last edited by icemann; 29th Dec 2017 at 11:57.

Only issue was the level following which works off a light mechanic of when your surrounding light dwindles down to next to nothing then you start taking damage..
    The Forgotten Sepulchre is the optional and harder path to take from The Fog Fjord (note that you have to use the Teleportation Rune to get to it). In general, try to lure enemies to a permanent light to fight if possible when going through there. Still, there aren't many levels beyond that point currently.

It's odd as I'd argue that the Ossuary stage is easier than the Ramparts alternate which you don't need the teleportation rune to access (unlike Ossuary). Makes working out which paths to take more difficult.

I've been shedding actual tears of joy lately, because Quern is such an amazing game. It has a few flaws: There are a lot of invisible barriers (just like The Witness), but I don't mind them, because (just like in The Witness) it's not about the hazards of navigating a hostile environment, but all about solving puzzles. Fast travel would have been nice at times, but that's not a huge issue either (with fast travel one might even easily miss important details). Details in the environment tend to pop in and out as I look around (maybe some form of (exaggerated) LOD-thing), which is quite noticable, but I can live with it, because everything else is such a joy. The world could have done with a bit more colour I think, but, on the other, the gray, dusty quality of it all makes the little colour there is stand out more.

The island we're on is quite small, but packed with puzzles and things to explore. You also gain access to new, and increasingly more exciting, areas the more puzzles you solve. Each puzzle is more or less unique and everything connects so well. Just like in Myst/Riven/Obduction/etc, many of the puzzles teach us something about the world around us, and if you liked Obduction even the slightest, then you will love Quern, because it is in many ways superior. The UI is fluent and never gets in the way.

Sometimes I get stuck, but then I take some time off and solve it when I get back -- and I've had quite a few revelations and great moments because of it. The inventory has a bit of a hint system, which I've used to at least get a short first description for an otherwise obscure item. I don't know how far this hint system goes or if it might right out spoil a puzzle (which would be ghastly), but, luckily, so far I've been able to resist the temptation to find out -- and am so much happier for it, I think. With or without some scrutiny, most items are self-explanatory.

The in-game notebook is a nice addition, although I wish I could rearrange the pages, and separate notes for solved, unsolved, and partly solved puzzles, to make it all easier to sift through, because I'm up to a hundred pages now, so notes for yet unsolved puzzles can take some time to find. Being able to create a table of contents (with links) would have been great too. I'm still using pen and paper too, though, because old habits die hard, but also because some things are still easier to draw on paper (you can add screenshots to the notebook, but they are not always enough) and having your notes and the puzzle side by side is still possible only if you keep your own notes.

Edit:
    The ending was a bit of a cliché, but, eh, I didn't play this mainly for the story.

Now I'm playing All the Delicate Duplicates, which is a psychological drama about a single father and his daughter -- or is it a sci-fi drama about a single father and his daughter? Not sure yet. I'm not going to claim I understand all of it yet either, but it's quite fascinating and I find it hard to put down once I get into it. There's not much interaction to be had; you just walk around in their house at different times, looking at their belongings, reading notes and journals, everything counts. I guess you could compare it a bit to Gone Home, but with a dreamlike twist to it.
    Last edited by qolelis; 5th Jan 2018 at 17:57.

I started Nioh. Took some time to get used to the combat, which is a bit too fast for me, but I'm getting the hang of it. I managed to kill the first boss at least.

Page 465 of 498 FirstFirst ... 215365415420425430435440445450455460461462463464465466467468469470475480485490495 ... LastLast