TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Bright - Whose BRIGHT idea was this crap? Hahahaha. Ok actual review now: It's not very good. Netflix's shows have generally been good, so when you hear they've spent 90 million making a movie you'd think they'd make extra sure it was a good movie, but it isn't! Ok, Joel Edgerton as the orc-cop was actually good. Will Smith is half-and-half. He does have some good moments, but for most of it he seems to be on auto-pilot, and I don't know if we have his ad-libbing or Max Landis terrible script to blame for the "comedy", but I think we'd be better off without the Shrek-jokes and whatnot. How does the Shrek-movies even exist in this universe? Wouldn't they be terribly racially-insensetive? Storywise, the movie does set up some interesting things with police-corruption and racist opposition to Orc-integration in the police-force, but that stuff is pretty much resolved halfway through and from there on it's just a slog to the finish-line. The actionscenes are mostly uninteresting muddled messes too.

Ash VS Evil Dead - This finally showed up on Netflix, so of course I'm watching it. First episode was great, Campbell is effortlessly slipping back into the role of Ash. I've watched up until ep. 8, and although the show has never again reached the heights of ep.1, it's still good stuff.

The Good Place - Watched the entire first season last week. Holy shit this was good! Good performances, great jokes, and some shocking plot twists! Eagerly awaiting season 2.

S2 of The Good Place has an absolutely brilliant episode, whose only problem is that the episodes following it can't help but disappoint.

Moderator and Priest
    Bright was a really interesting idea executed poorly. If it stuck more with the style of the first 3rd of the movie, rather than devolving into yet another action packed Will Smith style borefest that we've already seen a thousand times before, it would've been a far better flick for the effort.

I guess if anyone's ever wanted a high budget Shadowrun movie, this is about as close as you're gonna get.

Reminded me of Alien Nation, if any of you remember that show.

Moderator and Priest
    I remember the show, though I never watched it for some reason.

Oh, and Henke. Ash vs. Evil Dead? Yeah, wait til you see the season finale. After that, you have the mass insanity of season 2 to look forward to.

There's a scene fairly early on in season 2 that manages to simultaneously be one of the funniest and most disgusting thing I've ever seen put to film. You'll sit there in awe the entire time, amazed at just how far they're willing to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I guess if anyone's ever wanted a high budget Shadowrun movie...
    Shadowrun is for people who want to play Cyberpunk but can't let go of D&D to do it. XD ...That came out more on-point than I intended.

That's a load of bull. Shadowrun is for people who want fantasy with their cyberpunk, and that's it. That aspect is the games biggest selling point imo as there is no other series quite like it.

The only thing it has in common with d&d is the tabletop aspect.

Planning on watching this years Doctor Who christmas episode tonight. Be a sad watch as this will be where I'll not be watching any further future episodes of the series after this. It's just too much of a major retcon for me. People can call me sexist all you like but it's just too drastic change to an iconic hero. I get the PC wanting to expand the audience but their going to lose A LOT of those who grew up in the 80s or earlier, which I suspect they (management of the BBC) don't care.

This has been one of my favorite shows since primary school and is up there with Star Trek and Star Wars. So be sad to be saying goodbye to the show. Well to specific the future iterations of it. I'll still happily watch an old Tom Baker 70s episode or anything up to the end if Capaldi's era of it. But anything after nope I'm done with it.
    Last edited by icemann; 27th Dec 2017 at 02:36.

Lol. I knew that joke was going to piss someone off.
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    That's a load of bull. Shadowrun is for people who want fantasy with their cyberpunk...
    I wouldn't even classify that as a disagreement. In terms of number of games there's a lot more to fantasy tabletop RPG's than D&D, in terms of player numbers and sheer cultural consciousness there really just isn't.

The only thing it has in common with d&d is the tabletop aspect.
    Really? Let me name a few more. Elves. Dwarves. Orcs. Trolls. Dragons. Wizards, monks, druids... Look, you can have Fantasy that isn't D&D'esque, heck, you could have Tolkienesque fantasy that isn't D&D'esque, but Shadowrun simply isn't it. It's not its own fantasy, it's not Tolkien-based fantasy, it's D&D-based fantasy. (And it's hardly unusual in that, but IMO the point stands.)

That's fantasy not D&D specific.

All of those races are present in things like Warhammer (both fantasy and 40k for most of the races), Lord of the Rings. Just because there's orcs, elves, etc does not make it D&D.

P.S - There are no druids, monks and wizards in Shadowrun. Mages yes Wizards no.

That's fantasy not D&D specific.
    That's D&D-style fantasy. They're there because D&D has them (and D&D has them because Tolkien had them, but Shadowrun clearly took them from D&D and not Tolkien, and certainly not from Tolkien's sources), not because they're fantasy. Lots of things are fantasy without borrowing most of its tropes from D&D (e.g. Harry Potter, Game of Thrones).

All of those races are present in things like Warhammer (both fantasy and 40k for most of the races), Lord of the Rings.
    Lol. D&D was heavily based on Tolkien, and Warhammer was heavily based on D&D.

Just because there's orcs, elves, etc does not make it D&D.
    True! But when you make those elves a PC race with bonus "agility"...

There are no druids, monks and wizards in Shadowrun. Mages yes Wizards no.
    It's like you're proud of getting hung up on semantics.

Done with this.

Meh it's fine your welcome to your opinion. I've always seen Shadowrun as quite different to D&D. You'd never have a hacker working with a wizard in D&D .

And just watched what for me was the finale for Doctor Who. An excellent send off.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Reminded me of Alien Nation, if any of you remember that show.
    I remember the film, and it really was very reminiscent.

I liked the world building in this. The film (Bright) wasn't great but I'd watch more of it.

Also +points for Noomi and her cute nose.

Administrator
    I was unable to finish watching Bright. Think I had half of it left and I don't want to bother finishing it. For me it was just inserting fantasy races into existing demographic categories you get in LA police stories.

I watched Bright the day before yesterday. By contemporary action movie standards I thought it was fine. I wasn't expecting too much and was satisfied that the action scenes were serviceable, the dialog and humor worked, and I liked all the characters/actor portrayals.

The plot was nothing to write home about. Alien Nation was more credible about what integrating a non-human intelligent species would actually be like (the tv series being as good as/better than the movie). But I wasn't under any illusion that's what this movie would really be about.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    That's D&D-style fantasy. They're there because D&D has them (and D&D has them because Tolkien had them, but Shadowrun clearly took them from D&D and not Tolkien, and certainly not from Tolkien's sources), not because they're fantasy. Lots of things are fantasy without borrowing most of its tropes from D&D (e.g. Harry Potter, Game of Thrones).

Lol. D&D was heavily based on Tolkien, and Warhammer was heavily based on D&D.

True! But when you make those elves a PC race with bonus "agility"...

It's like you're proud of getting hung up on semantics.

Done with this.

LOL nobody gives a shit if it's based on "D&D" or "Tolkien" style fantasy. It's just common tropes at this point.

And FTR, Warhammer was based on......another Warhammer product called 40K, which I have no idea how to describe coherently. It's a setting where the "elves" of that faction literally buttfucked an evil BDSM god into existence....bolding to emphasize that part because that's just the beginning of how bizarre 40k is.

To give it context - They were indulging in their every desire on such a grand scale that it opened up a tear in the universe, giving birth to the chaos gods, taking out 90% of their race in the process.

That's what I remember reading from the Eldar codex book 20 or so years ago.

I watched the first two episodes of Kill La Kill, as it was recommended as similar to FLCL. It's pretty crazy over-the-top madness. An Educational Academy basically owns and dictates the rules of a whole town, training students to be their henchmen. A new transfer student arrives and learns the head of the school killed her father, and she swears vengence. What ensues is a sequence of outrages fights with various school club captains (like a boxing or a tennis match). The characters are often half-naked and hyper-sexualized, and the show is overtly self-referential about it.

I'm not really sure how to feel about this o_0

Dark on Netflix. It's fantastic. Watch it in the original German with subtitles. Much better than Stranger Things imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    I watched the first two episodes of Kill La Kill, as it was recommended as similar to FLCL. It's pretty crazy over-the-top madness. An Educational Academy basically owns and dictates the rules of a whole town, training students to be their henchmen. A new transfer student arrives and learns the head of the school killed her father, and she swears vengence. What ensues is a sequence of outrages fights with various school club captains (like a boxing or a tennis match). The characters are often half-naked and hyper-sexualized, and the show is overtly self-referential about it.

I'm not really sure how to feel about this o_0
    Watch it to the end. It's more than what it looks like on the surface.

Rewatching Luther with the missus. God it's a fun show but so stupid sometimes.

Gave up on Riverdale as it lost its mojo.

Mainlined Mindhunter. That's my kind of TV crack.

Getting into Black Mirror s4. Always good for a nihilistic view on life.

Moderator and Priest
    Holy fucking shit. GUYS! SCOTS TAFFER POSTED!

Shit. It's old home week and nobody told me. Okay. You are back Scots.
    NOW POST ME A STORY.
    no pressure of course

must not scare away
    Last edited by Tocky; 8th Jan 2018 at 22:10. Reason: there was no edit you did not see it

Moderator and Priest
    Maybe he doesn't have a ukulele either, Tocky.

Everybody has a ukulele in their closet. A scary scary ukulele.

Level 10,000 achieved
    POST 4000 IN EPIC THREAD

Better make this a good one!

I WATCHED, uh............................. The Office, season 2, again. US version.

Page 160 of 176 FirstFirst ... 60110115120125130135140145150155156157158159160161162163164165170175 ... LastLast