TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Darkwood - top-down survival/horror(?)

Darkwood - top-down survival/horror(?)

https://www.gog.com/game/darkwood

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip_6nQaa3UU

This looks kinda nice. I found a few scattered TTLG comments on it during the past couple of years, but nothing very detailed.

Has anyone spent much time with this? Is it good?

I bought it on day one in early access around four years ago, messed around with it for a while, and it's been sat at the back of my library waiting for release.

Will give it a proper shot this weekend.

It's been sitting near the top of my wishlist for a few years. I've heard and read some good things about it, so I'm curious to hear how it evolved during its long Early Access period.

Oh jeez... it's finally been released? Somehow missed that. I'll check it out soon, but I'm obsessed with Senua's Sacrifice right now.

I've been following the game for a couple years and although I missed out on the original indiegogo campaign I picked it up on when it came to early access and have been a private tester throughout portions of the games development. It's an excellent game and one I'm glad to see finally make it out of early access. The game was rather limited in scope at the beginning of early access but quickly expanded into a larger more fleshed out world.

The game primarily consists of two chapters each with its own world/biome. While the game has a story and hand crafted locations their position and orientation is randomly placed with each play through while everything in between these locations is randomly generated. This helps to keep things focused yet fresh with each subsequent play through. Most of the game consists of exploring the map and gathering supplies while completing quests by day and then returning to your hideout at night and trying to survive until dawn. Although you are under siege at night you still face many dangers during the day as there are all sorts of monsters and creatures wandering throughout Darkwood.

There's a lot of weapons and gear one can find and craft throughout the game that allows for all sorts of creative ways of fighting off enemies. For example, you can place a bear trap then pour a trail of gasoline from the trap to another room. Once an enemy is trapped you simply light the gasoline trail and it will engulf the enemy in flames. There's an emphasis on melee weapons in the beginning but you'll eventually find or be able to craft firearms although ammo is still incredibly scarce. It's also a lot of fun reinforcing your hideout by barricading doors and windows and placing various traps.

The game can be pretty challenging and there is very little hand holding. I'm also impressed with the games music and sound design which really help in building tension while also adding to the games atmosphere. Overall, I'm loving this game and would highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of horror/survival games.

By the way, the three developers behind this game held an AMA on Reddit earlier today:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...o_we_quit_our/
    Last edited by SDF121; 18th Aug 2017 at 19:46.

Level 10,000 achieved

rez

Finished Ep. 2 of The Long Dark with a thirst for more open-world survival, so I dug into this, my Christmas-present from Thirith.

Only done the prologue and the first day yet. Fixed the well and boarded up all the windows. Also found some gas and poked around in the underground a little bit. Digging the dark mood and the scraps of storytelling so far.

Moderator and Priest
    You have no idea what's in store for you, Henke.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Creepy monsters show up in the woods?

Moderator and Priest
    More like your mom shows up in the woods.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh snap!

Moderator and Priest
    Burn!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Made it to Day 6. Been visited by dogs, savages and ghosts in the night. Explored most of the starting area, though I haven't ventured into the scarier looking places yet. I also got invited to a wedding! How about that? Just moved in and I'm already making friends.

Well it sounds like you've gotten all the the horror out of the way, and just have a lovely wedding to look forward to. Nothing bad could happen there, that's for sure. Have a great time!

Moderator and Priest
    Make sure you bring something to eat. It's a pot luck wedding!

Level 10,000 achieved

Day 11

Well, I didn't bring anything to eat so they tried to put ME on the menu. Jeez, that was unsettling. I just hauled ass when the thing came bursting through the door. Good news is I found some good loot, and I've unlocked the way to the next area, Silent Forest. I also almost have all the materials I need to make a pistol. Now I just wish I hadn't sold the two pistol ammo clips I found earlier.

Level 10,000 achieved

Day... 16?

I found the key to the locked room in the Chicken Woman's house, and gave it to the wolf. Though not before taking a peek in there myself.

Moderator and Priest
    Have you had anything break through your carefully laid defenses late at night yet, Henke?

This thread needs more screenshots!

game sounds cool, but i just cant get over the top down perspective, not a fan

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Have you had anything break through your carefully laid defenses late at night yet, Henke?
    Oh yes. I even got killed just a couple nights ago. In the Silent Forest hideout I've boarded up everything but one door. I prefer not to put any bear traps down since it always just ends up with me stepping in them. :P

As for screenies, all ya had to do was ask, man!

Level 10,000 achieved

Day 20

Made my first excursion into the Old Forest, found lots of good loot in a church. At night I had a new visitor.

Have also found the denizens of Darkwood haunting me IRL. Last night I had a nightmare about this game, when I awoke all I could see was the dark silhouette of the potted plant in my window. For some reason it felt like it was glowering at me. Crazy right? Haha.
    Last edited by henke; 10th Jan 2018 at 17:21.

Moderator and Priest
    Remember, Henke. The celery stalks at midnight.

I'm surprised you haven't upped your carry slots or health bar yet. By day 20, I had about 2 1/2 bars, and about 6 slots handy for me. Though I have to give you props for killing the banshee. I never tried doing that.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I've upgraded my inventory 3 times and hotbar once(the first parts of the video are from earlier in the game). Didn't know I could upgrade health, need to figure that out.

Level 10,000 achieved

Day... 22 or something?

11 hours in and I think I'm done with this. Not having fun any more.