TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Supposedly there was a chapter 51, but doubt it would have helped. It's just a closure for Eli and the kids. https://youtu.be/-B4JIHh5Jqk

That's why the 2nd chapter is called "Race". Without the closure the title doesn't have any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    And without him it wouldn't be the same. Though I felt that way about David Hayter with Metal Gear as well.
    From now on, Hideo Kojima will be played by the guy who was Hiro in Heroes.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Ah nice. Hopefully that gets in as DLC at some point. Thanks for sharing that .

Also, you could say the abrupt ending is a Phantom Pain we (will) experience as an audience, isn't it?

Level 10,000 achieved

Good news! Kojima starts a new studio and is starting a new franchise!

Less good news! It'll be a PS exclusive!

www.kojimaproductions.jp

Aslong as it's timed only, then that's fine. Good to hear that he's getting a new start elsewhere. Considering how down hill Konami has been going lately, I'd say it's for the best.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Update: whatever this thing is, it'll come to PC as well!

Q. What other platforms will Kojima’s first independent title be available on, besides PS4?
    The title is planned to become available on PC (after PS4).

Thing What Kicks
    A tentative "YAY!", and Kojima backing PC will hopefully get other Japanese developers to seriously consider the platform.

You know, my Vita's getting much more use than my PS4 these days, and when it does get used, it's for Netflix. While the figures all say this generation of consoles is one of the most successful ever, from a gaming point of view it's been a lot less compelling than the last one.

I think developers and publishers are beginning to strain against the boundaries imposed on them by Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony's walled gardens and realising that the PC offers a far more liberated environment. I have nothing solid to back this up, it's just a feeling I get from the overall movement of the market.

Thread Necro!

I am currently replaying the series with a friend who has never played it and knows it only by reputation and internet memes.

I never did play V though. Or... either one of the V's I guess I should say.

We are currently nearing the end of MGS1, I bought the PSX version from PSN because I no longer have a gamecube for the twin snakes version, and because most people seem to enjoy the original better anyway. Then I have the PS3 remasters of 2 and 3. (I have both in PS2 versions as well but I don't necessarily see the point in worrying about that distinction) And I have MGS4 from back in the day when it originally came out.

So... how does one play MGS V?? Why are there 2 games, and are you supposed to play both? Are we missing anything important if we don't play Revengeance?

Late to the part on the final installment, but I always knew I'd play it eventually, so this is as good an excuse as any.

If your going to do a proper proper Metal Gear play through then you need to start with the MSX entries.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    So... how does one play MGS V?? Why are there 2 games, and are you supposed to play both?
    To simplify things maybe a little too much, Ground Zeros is the demo, while Phantom Pain is the main game. You could skip GZ entirely without missing out on much of anything, though playing it gives you a much more indepth account of how Big Boss ends up in the hospital.

Chakat sex pillow
    So... how does one play MGS V?? Why are there 2 games, and are you supposed to play both? Are we missing anything important if we don't play Revengeance?
    Ideally, you play MGS V GZ/PP after Peace Walker since it's a direct continuation of that. I've yet to get to Peace Walker, though, and haven't lost out a whole lot of the story for V, so I wouldn't say it's mandatory for max enjoyment.

As for Revengeance, no, you're not missing anything important story-wise unless you really like Raiden and want to know more about his past/see what he can really do in that cyborg ninja getup. As a game, though, I'd classify it as essential if you're into the genre, yeah. It's got the greatest slicing and dicing feedback loop since forever, and never has crushing spines felt more rewarding in a game.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Then I have the PS3 remasters of 2 and 3. (I have both in PS2 versions as well but I don't necessarily see the point in worrying about that distinction)
    If you have the HD collection then I guess you have Peace Walker as well, which as Sulph says is the direct predecessor to MGS V. I didn't think much of Peace Walker though, never finished it, but it's worth have a short look at. (Also, some annoying people *coughdethtollcough* would say that the HD versions of the games are RUINED because there is a lake at the end of MGS3 where the reflection is messed up for like 3 seconds.)

About GZ, if you can find it cheap, definitely play it. It's just one mission, but it's a really good one, and it's certainly a more fun introduction to MGS V than the proper game's 1 hour lightly-interactive intro cutscene.

I've played through the original psp version of Peace Walker. The game is ok. Much of the gameplay of it is very similar in MGS 5, but more open worldy in MGS 5, where as Peace Walker goes with sections.
    Last edited by icemann; 12th Jan 2018 at 01:06.

Thing What Kicks
    The interesting thing about Ground Zeroes is that as a stealth game, I'd say it's actually better than The Phantom Pain, thanks to being a more focussed experience. It also helps that you can never get over-powered in the gear department. While I dearly love the Fulton mechanic in TPP, it makes things a LOT easier. Having to play Ground Zeroes without it, where the only ways to permanently remove a soldier from the battle were either killing them or calling in the chopper to extract them makes for a much more tense experience.

Late Edit:
    This also reminded me about my Phantom Pain development theory. While it's still an excellent game, it's no secret that it's unfinished.
    When you get around to playing the second "half" of the game, you find that most of the missions are remixes of older ones, with labels such as Subsistence, Extreme and Total Stealth.
    My theory is that Kojima initially intended for each main mission to be replayable in all of these modes, but ran out of dev time / good will.

This would have done a LOT to address my comment that TPP is less focussed. It would still allow that overpowered playthrough with all the upgraded gear, but it would have also allowed players to really test their stealth skills by replaying missions with the aforementioned modifiers.
    Last edited by Malf; 11th Jan 2018 at 09:08.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, Peace Walker is part of the HD collection. I remember the complaints, but I always heard that while the Silent Hill collection totally changed the experience, that the MGS collection was just fine, if nothing to get excited about.

Maybe by the time we're done MGS3 we will decide whether or not to play Peace Walker.

Honestly I didn't know that Big Boss was the star of MGSV. But I guess that might make sense considering I felt that MGS IV had a pretty strong sense of finality to it, from what I remember anyway, it's been years.

One unique thing Peace Walker had was the coop mode. I would've loved to see it return in MGS5, but alas...

Thing What Kicks
    Well there's that new one in development with co-op and zombies, but I'm not holding out much hope for it.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Are we missing anything important if we don't play Revengeance?
    It's a non-canon. You can skip if you like but you'll be missing out on the sweet Platinum Games action.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    It's a non-canon. You can skip if you like but you'll be missing out on the sweet Platinum Games action.
    And you'll be missing out on the nanomachines, son.

And is if skip MGS V you'll be missing out on the vocal cord parasites.

Man I got sick of hearing that get mentioned in the tapes.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011