TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Guilty Until Proven Innocent

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    And we haven't heard his side of the story. But of course, that didn't matter to you.
    I've said several times that it all depends on whether she is telling the truth. But that fact that he's gone completely quiet aside from a very short PR response speaks volumes.

Silence should never be taken as an admission of guilt. James Franco has done the "silence is golden" approach to the claims made against him. Does that mean he's guilty? Hell no.

Innocent before being proven guilty. If we as a society ever get to the point where silence always = assumed guilty, then we're all damned.

Southquarter.com/fms
    This topic has come up a few times now, but I'll go there again - I am not a court of law. There are no consequences to anyone from me forming my own opinion. And to me, not denying accusations made against you is as good as saying you're guilty. If I were a judge deciding someone's legal fate, my opinion would of course not be enough. But that's not the case, I'm free to believe whatever I choose. Innocent before proven guilty is strictly a legal term.

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article 11, states: "Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.".
    And you're wrong about Franco - he did deny the accusations made against him. He claimed they were inaccurate.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...htmlstory.html

Moderator and Priest
    Brethren's right in this instance. The court of public opinion is always going to be a thing. You're always have people who will assume the accused is either innocent or guilty for any number of arbitrary reasons. Whether you agree or disagree, we're all entitled to voice what we believe.

You can't expect people to stay silent, especially on matters as loaded and openly public as #metoo. The only thing you can hope for, the only thing you should expect, is that everyone remains levelheaded.

Coming back to this thread after a couple weeks' hiatus, I just wanted to apologize to faetal, heywood, and Starker for getting heated and misinterpreting their posts. This topic is a little bit personal to me and I read too much into some posts. That's on me. Sorry guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    And you're wrong about Franco - he did deny the accusations made against him. He claimed they were inaccurate.

My bad, in that case. Last I'd read (in the article posted earlier in this thread) he'd chosen to stay silent on it.

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    Coming back to this thread after a couple weeks' hiatus, I just wanted to apologize to faetal, heywood, and Starker for getting heated and misinterpreting their posts. This topic is a little bit personal to me and I read too much into some posts. That's on me. Sorry guys.
    Thanks catbarf, I appreciate that. I felt like I might have hit a raw nerve, so I stepped away from the thread for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    This topic has come up a few times now, but I'll go there again - I am not a court of law. There are no consequences to anyone from me forming my own opinion. And to me, not denying accusations made against you is as good as saying you're guilty. If I were a judge deciding someone's legal fate, my opinion would of course not be enough. But that's not the case, I'm free to believe whatever I choose. Innocent before proven guilty is strictly a legal term.

Actually..... libel and perjury are a thing. If you knowingly publish false accusations that causes material damage to someone you can be sued for doing so.

As what happened with Rebel Wilsin last year.

Still Subjective
    Seems like a big shake up is due here. All rape cases to be reviewed.

Just read this case.

How can that woman still be anonymous? She's a risk and, imho, should be prosecuted anyway.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Shitty sexist humor on a web 1.0-vintage forum dedicated to a long-shuttered video game developer? Shocking!
    Yesterday's internet shitlord is today's virtual signalling, perpetually offended extreme liberal? Shocking!

Three-month necropost which makes no meaningful contribution to the thread? Well, given who did it, not all that shocking.

Impressive lack of self-awareness on your part, btw, calling someone else perpetually offended.

Moderator and Priest
    You know how when you're typing up some scathing reply to someone on the internet, and you come to a point where it dawns on you that what you're doing is an entirely stupid waste of time, and all you'll accomplish is making yourself look like a total jackass to anyone unfortunate enough to happen across your post?

...wait? You don't? AIN'T SURPRISED!

Seriously? This thread got necro'd for a reason OTHER than a famous defendant getting convicted? I am disappointed.

Moderator and Priest
    I was expecting a lot more from that gif.

Still Subjective
    Well that was an interesting verdict after all this time.

He's having all his honorary degrees revoked! I'm sure that's the most pressing thing on his mind!

Booted out the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences too, along with Polanski. Does that mean Polanski loses his Oscar?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Yesterday's internet shitlord is today's virtual signalling, perpetually offended extreme liberal? Shocking!

Well, good news: you're today's internet shitlord, Eva.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 8th May 2018 at 20:21.

ok if yer gonna come back can you at least have 1 constructive post for every 3 sarcastic put downs?
    not that I dont agree with you but its about the balance

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Your opinion is noted.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    virtual signalling
    Virtue signalling.

"Virtual signalling" is what I do when I'm playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 in VR and need to make a left turn.

Then a Russian comes out of nowhere doing 100 and T-bones you.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Virtue signalling.

"Virtual signalling" is what I do when I'm playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 in VR and need to make a left turn.
    Phone keypad auto-correct.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Well, good news: you're today's internet shitlord, Eva.
    You say that like it's a bad thing. Shitlords like to stare at a good internet trash fire and laugh as it burns, it's a lot of fun. Having fun is part of enjoying life, maybe you should do more of that instead of displaying fake to win Brownie Points with blue haired autists on Tumblr?
    Last edited by Renzatic; 8th May 2018 at 03:25.

Moderator and Priest
    You know, Eva, you might not be one of those annoying Tumblr kids, running around screaming about a cultural appropriating patriarchy, but you're still a fucking idiot.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819 LastLast