TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Fighting TTLGers present: Arma 3 (a TTLG Coop Saturdays spin-off)

Yay! Sounds like we’ll be enough for some Special Forces-style mayhem next Saturday.

By the way, I’d suggest we only add CUP for the first session in 2018; I wouldn’t want to risk the Christmas coop session to be marred by potential mod installation issues, so let’s stick to what we know works for 23/12.

Fun last session before the holidays tonight. Unfortunately Piglick didn't make it (did Australia go dark?), but Jeshibu and Lord Penney made sure that it wasn't just me failing to hit the side of a barn.

The first mission was a complete massacre; it was called "Ambush" - which was ironic, because on our way to the ambush we were ambushed. I would say it didn't help that the radio mod got screwed up at my end, but other than me going, "Guys... Guys? Can you hear me?" I don't think it made much of a difference to how quickly we got killed... Things looked up after that, with relatively few Arma-typical bugs, and we even won the final mission! Huzzah!

The Arma coop sessions will make their grand return in the new year, probably only in the second half of January. More info will follow soonish. Till then, have a merry Christmas and don't get shot in the back by your own team!

haha no I fell asleep in front of the computer, pretty hardcore I know

Well fuck. I completely forgot about this, but in my defense I've been dealing with some issues relating to the pregnancy (no worries, everything's fine just more complicated than we'd like).

Someone lock down a date and time for the next session and I'll go so far as to put it in my outlook calendar.

I expect it'll be Saturday 20 January, though I'll have to confirm later. The time is always the same: 4-6pm UK time. Don't forget the mods (TFAR needs a small amount of additional fiddling and TS3.

PigLick: shame you couldn't make it. Some other time! *fingers crossed*

Welcome to a New Year of blood, sweat, tears and accidentally shooting your squadmates while clearing buildings!

The next Arma 3 coop session:

Date: Sat, 20 January 2018
    Time: 4-6pm UK time

As always, I'll be online a bit before 4pm to set up the server and check who's on Steam. I'll try to launch the server with a lobby mission 15 minutes before the session starts, and I'll post the IP and password on the Steam group, under the Events tab.
    Please note that we've expanded the modset to include the CUP mods, which bring the terrains, units and equipment from all the Arma games starting with Operation Flashpoint to Arma 3. The complete mod set is listed here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=877349651

Also, if you haven't played with us yet, make sure to check out the first post in the thread, as it'll give you all the relevant information on mods and any additional programs you might need.

Well, it wouldn't be Arma without oddities, but we had a good session today - admittedly with one server crash and murderous friendly AI that decided to take us out before we could even get to the mission objective, but the two missions we played were exciting and enjoyable... though most of us shed their mortal coil investigating insurgent activities in Takistan.

Then again, death can't be all that bad if you end up looking this relaxed, right?

Oh, and my favourite bit from today’s game: escaping after we’ve wiped out the PMC convoy, only to find ourselves pursued by reinforcements, in particular an attack chopper. So we take out the chopper... only for it to crash into Jeshibu and Sulphur, killing both. It made our victory that much more bittersweet..

Level 10,000 achieved
    It sure was a good one!

Great video, henke, as always! Sometimes Arma's jankiness can be extremely frustrating, but yesterday I found its idiosyncracies quite... charming, for want of a better word. Though I still wonder what got into our friendly AI's head when it started to execute us with extreme prejudice.

Anyway, next session'll be in two weeks:

Date: Sat, 3 February 2018
    Time: 4-6pm UK time

As always, I'll be online a bit before 4pm to set up the server and check who's on Steam. I'll try to launch the server with a lobby mission 15 minutes before the session starts, and I'll post the IP and password on the Steam group, under the Events tab.
    Please note that we've expanded the modset to include the CUP mods, which bring the terrains, units and equipment from all the Arma games starting with Operation Flashpoint to Arma 3. The complete mod set is listed here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=877349651

With respect to the new mods, it's advisable to launch Arma (or at least run the launcher) once before the actual session, to make sure that the mods download properly.

What happened with the AI: One of them got stuck behind a couple sandbags and refused to move, so naturally I executed him. Since everyone else was in a truck, they couldn't pull out their guns just yet, and waited until they were ordered out of the truck to demonstrate their inability to differentiate between a completely legitimate execution for insubordination, and a malicious teamkilling. For some reason they seemed to not care that there were friendlies in the way of their targets either, and just shot straight through whoever was in the way.

I can imagine the murderous AI played by Danny Trejo, sat opposite from you in the back of the truck, cutting chunks of apple with a knife - never breaking eye contact as he lifts them up to his mouth by the blade.

My favourite AI rampage was me as a team leader with an AI machine gunner before someone slotted in. I gave him the suppressive fire command just to see what he'd say, not expecting him to unload everything violently into a crowd of waiting friendlies.

Very nice image, that one - and very fitting for our murderous AI.

By the way, in order to improve the chances of PigLick being able to join one of the Arma sessions, we're going to move the next one forward by an hour, i.e.:

Date: Sat, 3 February 2018
    Time: 3-5pm UK time

As always, I'll be online a bit before 3pm to set up the server and check who's on Steam. I'll post the IP and password on the Steam group, under the Events tab.
    Please adjust your diaries accordingly.

Level 10,000 achieved
    23 hours played and I'm still not very good at this.

Still, when you're not sure if you're looking at an enemy or a friendly it's better to be safe that sorry... AL. >:|

Thing What Kicks
    Yes, I learned a very important lesson about command today.
    When you see a truck being driven towards you by a friendly, don't even jokingly say something like:
    "There's some dodgy looking guys driving towards us in a truck, so, uh... shoot them."

Administrator
    Indeed, sorry about the friendly fire at the end there. Having your team leader report that there was a truck with guys bearing down on our position made me a tad too twitchy - particularly as I thought our truck was far away at that point.

Very nice session - with eight (!) players. The game does come alive the larger the group is. And I do think we've got better at it, henke; in general, while we still wouldn't be mistaken for professionals, I do think we're more systematic, by and large.

Not that we still don't fuck up in fun and educational ways, mind you... Though at least when I shot Jeshibu through that window, I did so because you'd just said that there was a hostile in the building. I couldn't know that Jesh had just killed the guy!

On today's menu:

Warmup (Altis)
    Under Lord Penney's expert guidance, we cleared out a small town... though we did have a bit of trouble figuring out which teams we were on, with Team Alpha's Al_B and Piglick joining Team Bravo surreptitiously, while Sulphur (who actually was Team Bravo) stayed behind to cheer up Alpha for their unexpected losses. Once we got into position, though, Bravo took care of larger groups of enemies from the safety of rocks (that we didn't even clip through and die!), while Alpha cleared out the town. Yes, there were some setbacks (see henke's post and video), but after everyone was patched up we were victorious. Hooray!

Pirog Ch. 1 (Chernarus)
    Not our brightest moment: the radio kept fritzing out on us, the friendly AI kept shooting Sulphur - and then Malf, after he'd revived Sulphur three times - and I'd mistakenly added a second revive system (I downloaded the mission from Steam and tried to tweak it a bit) on top of the first one, which didn't really work. At one point I went back for Sulphur and Malf, killing the AI that kept shooting them, so then the rest of the Russian army - i.e. our side - turned on me. As I was bleeding out, the chat was deactivated, which meant I couldn't even enter the server admin command to end the mission. Good times!

Kavala Lost (Altis)
    Altis sure is dark at nighttime... Without night vision goggles, we were pretty much lost in Kavala, except for the dim light of burning wrecks. Lord Penney and Piglick died early, but the survivors reunited. We did pretty well but didn't want our dead friends to have to wait for too long, so two of us jumped into the water and drowned while trying to swim to safety, and the others made a last stand at the harbour, getting killed in the process.

Apparently there would've been boats just a hundred metres down the pier, and we could've used them to escape Altis and win the mission. Ah well.

Hot Foot It! (Altis)
    Like Warmup, this one was done by Lord Penney (not a TTLG member, but a dab hand at Arma and a great guy all round). Led by Malf (whose radio was unfortunately set to a different frequency from ours), we entered another lovely mediterranean town, looking for a hidden ammo cache. We soon found out that not only did they know we were there, they also tried to kill us with mortar fire. We found the mortar guy up a hill, in a little hut (which is where Jesh was torn to shreds by machine gun fire due to a bit of miscommunication between me and henke) and eventually found the cache and blew it up. Henke got back to the truck first, with Sulphur and me close behind - yet he decided to just drive past us towards the rest of the group. That sort of rudeness was soon punished when Al_B put a single bullet through henke's head. Harsh punishment for leaving us behind, but that's The Fighting TTLGers for you - the only way you learn to live with the murderous friendly AI is to become equally murderous yourself, as Nietzsche wrote.

Thanks to everyone for a great session! The next game of Arma will be in three weeks:

Date: Sat, 24 February 2018
    Time: 3-5pm UK time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123