TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Procedure For Positional Audio and Eax Via Openal for Realtek Onboard?

  1. #1
    Member
    Registered: May 2015

    Procedure For Positional Audio and Eax Via Openal for Realtek Onboard?

    So i have heard mention of the ability to get positional audio and eax going with openal for onboard sound but I haven't figured out how to actually install openal.

    I have tried Creative's v1.1 installer but it didn't seem to work.
    If someone could detail how to actually setup positional audio, and eax, for realtek onboard, in Thief it would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2014
    Location: Istanbul, Turkey
    Quote Originally Posted by mikjames View Post
    So i have heard mention of the ability to get positional audio and eax going with openal for onboard sound but I haven't figured out how to actually install openal.

    I have tried Creative's v1.1 installer but it didn't seem to work.
    If someone could detail how to actually setup positional audio, and eax, for realtek onboard, in Thief it would be greatly appreciated.
    If you talk about Thief: Deadly Shadows, I couldn't get it to work for Realtek.

    For The Dark Project and The Metal Age, you'll need to install TFix and TafferPatcher respectively, then install this if you haven't yet:

    http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/10-openal/

    Now launch the game and go to Options > Audio and click on Hardware Acceleration to change it to OpenAL.

    Hope this solves your problem.
    Last edited by Arcatera; 10th Jan 2018 at 17:35.

  3. #3
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2007
    Location: Angelwatch
    I know there's ALchemy Universal. ALchemy is a program originally for EAX compatible Creative cards which puts a modified dsound.dll into your game folder which redirects EAX commands to OpenAL. ALchemy Universal is supposed to work on all cards, but I can't give a proof how well EAX is supported. You just gotta try it.

  4. #4
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcatera View Post
    Now launch the game and go to Options > Audio and click on Hardware Acceleration to change it to OpenAL.
    You'll also need OpenAL's software drivers installed, if you want this to work. Although people generally refer to the old version that the official OpenAL developers provided, I would recommend manually installing OpenAL Soft (download the binary files, and instructions are included with it). That is kept up to date and has the options for using HRTF, which is what you'll want to use if you want simulated surround (preferably with headphones, which HRTF is meant for).

    After you've gotten OpenAL Soft working, here's a guide for configuring HRTF.

    Child Of Karras: Alchemy universal is not necessary for newdark, though for Deadly Shadows it's still useful. Just clarifying this for mikjames, seeing as he didn't state which thief game he wanted EAX emulation for.

  5. #5
    Member
    Registered: May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    You'll also need OpenAL's software drivers installed, if you want this to work. Although people generally refer to the old version that the official OpenAL developers provided, I would recommend manually installing OpenAL Soft (download the binary files, and instructions are included with it). That is kept up to date and has the options for using HRTF, which is what you'll want to use if you want simulated surround (preferably with headphones, which HRTF is meant for).

    After you've gotten OpenAL Soft working, here's a guide for configuring HRTF.

    Child Of Karras: Alchemy universal is not necessary for newdark, though for Deadly Shadows it's still useful. Just clarifying this for mikjames, seeing as he didn't state which thief game he wanted EAX emulation for.

    I'm in the process of getting openal soft working, however it says I should copy the hrtf 44.1hz and 48hz files from the hrtf folder to a folder that doesn't exist on my computer, so i'm not having much luck with that.

    Eax does appear to work after just installing the open al driver (not open al soft and no hrtf) but honestly it doesn't work all that well.
    Maybe eax 3 and up sound much better but eax 2 that is use in Thief 2 seems to feature inaccurate reverb in many spots (noticeably doubled sounds rather than proper reverb) as well as some pretty nasty transitions.

    I'm honestly more interested in cobbling together an xp rig with an Aureal soundcard at this point. The aureal demo on youtube sounds absolutely beautiful in comparison to eax: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5E0sXdX-Bc

    It's a damn shame Aureal was bought out, we are only now starting to get a chance at good audio again with vr taking off.
    It reminds of when lcds replaced crt's and it took us 10 years to even get close to the golden age we didn't know we had

  6. #6
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2002
    Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    There is a better option - to use the official Creative X-Fi MB3 driver. It emulates eax 1, 2 and 3 on every soundcard, even your realtek on windows 7 x64. The latest version also supports multichannel output. All you need is to add the game path in ALchemy utility. I've already had fun playing System Shock 2, Half-Life (won version), Aliens vs. Predator Classic and Thief 2 in true 5.1 with eax, just like in old days.

    ftp://ftp.valet2.com/audigy/sound%20...x-fi%20mb3.rar

    I've compared with OpenAL - this eax sounds much better.

  7. #7
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikjames View Post
    I'm in the process of getting openal soft working, however it says I should copy the hrtf 44.1hz and 48hz files from the hrtf folder to a folder that doesn't exist on my computer, so i'm not having much luck with that.
    If the folder you're looking for is the %APPDATA% folder, then that is located in your user folder (Windows 7: "C:\Users\*yourname*\AppData\Roaming"). You should have extracted the folder containing the .dll files and the alsoft-config software into their own folder, like onto your desktop or somewhere safe.

    If you do get into the config program, it lets you add the proper HRTF files and settings. One thing to note is that Thief's audio files are not actually encoded for 44.1hz/48hz whatever, and so you need to force that in alsoft-config.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikjames View Post
    Eax does appear to work after just installing the open al driver (not open al soft and no hrtf) but honestly it doesn't work all that well. Maybe eax 3 and up sound much better but eax 2 that is use in Thief 2 seems to feature inaccurate reverb in many spots (noticeably doubled sounds rather than proper reverb) as well as some pretty nasty transitions.
    I believe this mostly comes down to how the dark engine handles propagation, and how it's EAX reverb settings are configured. I myself can't attest to what it would sound like on hardware meant for EAX 2, but it is definitely very difficult to get it sounding right.

    Valet2: I think I'll give this a try myself, but I've just been helping mikjames here by giving him the information I have gone by in setting up OpenAL support for Newdark. My attempts with anything besides openal-soft have been spotty at best, like Blue Ripple Sound's Rapture3D for instance. I tried getting that to work, and it gave me trouble.

    Do keep in mind that everything Newdark related mostly concerns OpenAL support. Stuff like that MB3 driver is simply applying it's own software emulation on top of OpenAL. I have been hoping to test as many options out there, but it's not easy.

  8. #8
    Member
    Registered: May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Valet2 View Post
    There is a better option - to use the official Creative X-Fi MB3 driver. It emulates eax 1, 2 and 3 on every soundcard, even your realtek on windows 7 x64. The latest version also supports multichannel output. All you need is to add the game path in ALchemy utility. I've already had fun playing System Shock 2, Half-Life (won version), Aliens vs. Predator Classic and Thief 2 in true 5.1 with eax, just like in old days.

    ftp://ftp.valet2.com/audigy/sound%20...x-fi%20mb3.rar

    I've compared with OpenAL - this eax sounds much better.
    Tried it and it isn't compatible with my Realtek Alc 883 chip as far as I can tell.
    I'm looking into the modded X-fi mb2 drivers though.
    Actually it looks like there are modded drivers available up to Realtek Driver Version 2.78 and they may support mb3.
    I look into and see what I can get going.

  9. #9
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2007
    Location: Krull Island, in the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by Valet2 View Post
    There is a better option - to use the official Creative X-Fi MB3 driver. It emulates eax 1, 2 and 3 on every soundcard, even your realtek on windows 7 x64. The latest version also supports multichannel output. All you need is to add the game path in ALchemy utility. I've already had fun playing System Shock 2, Half-Life (won version), Aliens vs. Predator Classic and Thief 2 in true 5.1 with eax, just like in old days.

    ftp://ftp.valet2.com/audigy/sound%20...x-fi%20mb3.rar

    I've compared with OpenAL - this eax sounds much better.
    Will it work with an ASUS card? I have a Xonar u7 and I use OpenAL, the EAX is quite good but when Garret speaks, it is much louder than anything else. Also, there are some other sounds that are louder than others, and it's a bit disturbing, so I'd like to try something more advanced.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Registered: Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mikjames View Post
    Tried it and it isn't compatible with my Realtek Alc 883 chip as far as I can tell.
    I'm looking into the modded X-fi mb2 drivers though.
    Actually it looks like there are modded drivers available up to Realtek Driver Version 2.78 and they may support mb3.
    I look into and see what I can get going.
    didnt work with Realtek ALC1150 either. i guess you'd need modded drivers to work with that.

    or buy a sound card.

  11. #11
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2002
    Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia

  12. #12
    New Member
    Registered: Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Valet2 View Post
    finally got it to work with Creative X-Fi MB3 that you posted, thanks. but i had to 'unlock' it. so it works on ALC1150 with ALchemy the latest one, i did not use Universal.

    have not tried Thief, but it works with the original Prey (OpenAL), STALKER, Guild Wars 1, Amnesia and Morrowind.

    but still i think it's better to just buy a sound card? since hardware will sound better than Realtek, even though it's going to be emulated via ALchemy too if you are on Windows 10.

  13. #13
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2002
    Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    Oh, how did you unlock it?

  14. #14
    New Member
    Registered: Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Valet2 View Post
    Oh, how did you unlock it?
    i am not sure but i guess it was from an activator that i came across on a youtube guide on how to setup Sound Blaster X-Fi MB5 on Realtek. i guess it's not a good idea to post it here.

  15. #15
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2013
    I have a Soundblaster Z card and just use the standard OpenAL installation and configured in Thief 1 & 2 under the EAX option. I only have stereo and don't use headphones but it sounds pretty good though Thief Gold can sound a bit echoy for some reason. If anyone has an optimum EAX setup for stereo positional audio with Soundblaster Z cards, I'm open to advice.

  16. #16
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2002
    Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    My guess is it doesn't matter what setup you have with OpenAL, as it would work on any system.

    The true advantage of EAX you will get only with ALchemy - it's a thing that emulates DirectHardware soundcard with native EAX support. But if you don't have an EAX-compatible soundcard you'll have to use "Alchemy Universal" version (which is cracked or whatever), otherwise any newer ALchemy should work.

    If you're able to select EAX (not OpenAL) in your game, and the sound works, then it's ok, and you're ready to play like it's 1998.
    ---Old Habits Never Die---

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •