TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 468 of 469 FirstFirst ... 218368418423428433438443448453458463464465466467468469 LastLast
Results 11,676 to 11,700 of 11717

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

And finished off Y's 4 - Mask of The Sun for the SNES. I was unkind to this game. Going from the 3rd game which was roughly equal to Super Castlevania 4's graphics and went with the 2D side scrolling view, to the 4th game which switched back to the overhead view + went with the traditional gameplay of the first 3 games, and dropped down to about Final Fantasy 3 level of graphics was a shock last time round. This time round I knew what to expect so went in more forgiving.

So the 3rd game is a bit like how when Zelda went 2D side scrolling with it's 2nd game as a once off and was not majorly successive, where as Y's 3 was far more successful, so the drop back to the traditional style did not go down as well. Judging this game by itself though, it's fine. Has a pretty good story overall and is about similar length to each of the earlier games, has some good battles and some alright music. Glad I played it through to see how things played out as it was overall quite enjoyable. That said I'd never play it again, but was fun while it lasted.

And that gets me a bit further through the series. Quite a few entries to go. Only 1 of which is "retro" (Y's 5). The rest are ps2 and beyond so a MASSIVE upgrade in graphics. A bit like going from Shin Megami Tensei 2 (SNES) to 3 (PS2).

What happens when someone forgets their wire-guided missile is still in the air.

Heh. That is absolutely something that could (and probably would) happen to us during one of the TTLG Arma sessions. Probably best that we usually don't have guided missiles...

I just finished Death of the Outsider, but while I came to enjoy this a lot (not least for the fantastic mission locations and the impeccable-as-always atmosphere) I am quite glad it's over. The final mission was a bit of a chore for someone like me who prefers playing stealthily to using the full toolbox at my disposal. In some ways I'd say that I play the Dishonored games wrong: I play them much like I would play Thief, which means that I'd rarely use more than half of the tools I have. The final mission, while extremely atmospheric (and reminiscent of some of Thief's more surreal levels), was much less fun to stealth, especially due to a new enemy type that rears its literally ugly head.

Anyway, what next? I'm thinking it might be time for something shorter, but at the same time I'm kinda ready for assassinations of a different kind. The word 'oranges' comes to mind for some reason...

Thing What Kicks
    I've just started Titanfall 2.
    Really, just started, as in the first mission.
    Not quite sure about it yet. It feels very much like a mid-to-late Noughties corridor shooter so far, and I feel that's a gametype I left behind a long time ago. And graphically, after spending so much time playing The Division recently, I can see the rough edges of an engine that obviously started life geared more towards the previous console gen. Still, buttery smooth.
    I got it dirt cheap, so I'll give it a chance, but heavily scripted games just don't seem to do it for me any more.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Titanfall 2's wall-runney gameplay looks very appealing and apparently the campaign is very good. I'm thinking about getting a month of EA's subscription service so I can play that and ME:Andromeda.

At some point, anyway. First gonna finish Rise of the Tomb Raider and Hitman. And I hear Rime is showing up in PS+ this week, so I gotta play that as well.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    I've just started Titanfall 2.
    Really, just started, as in the first mission.
    Not quite sure about it yet. It feels very much like a mid-to-late Noughties corridor shooter so far, and I feel that's a gametype I left behind a long time ago. And graphically, after spending so much time playing The Division recently, I can see the rough edges of an engine that obviously started life geared more towards the previous console gen. Still, buttery smooth.
    I got it dirt cheap, so I'll give it a chance, but heavily scripted games just don't seem to do it for me any more.
    It's not going to change your mind about linear shooters, but if you're looking for quality, it has that from the sound design to the feel of its controls - punchy and tactile is the order of the day. It's not the prettiest game ever made, but I think the art direction does the business anyway for something that's very well-engineered in general. FWIW, the opening half hour isn't where it begins to shine - it's after you get BT. If you're not sold on it after you juggle parkouring and meching about, then it may not be for you.

Meanwhile, I'm glad to see that the guys who made World in Conflict managed to make a shooter like The Division so successful. It's not my sort of thing at all, but good to know all the same.

Very short first impression of Assassin's Creed Origins (yes, I decided to go for this one instead of a shorter game - though I might interrupt at a later stage): yes, this looks like just the right thing for the virtual tourist in me. The Assassin's Creed games have never been great examples of game design and the storytelling tends to be tropey as hell, but damn if they don't create some absolutely stunning worlds!

I've also started on an Assassin's Creed game. In my case it's AC - Syndicate. I'd have played Unity but I forgot to grab it in the summer sale.

Hmm. Going from AC - Rogue to this. It nicks the character swapping from GTA 5 for one thing, and oh boy does this game have glitches. Black Flag and much less so Rogue did as well, but with this game it's far more noticeable and happens more frequently. You get stuck (momentarily) on buildings, you and the npcs + enemies glitch out at random and there's likely more but I've only played it for a few hours so far.

So besides that:

The good (Note that I've not played Unity so some of these may have been introduced in that):

* The engine they use for these games got a nice graphics update.
    * Weather and day/night transitioning.
    * Lots of stuff to do, which you'd expect from an Assassin's Creed game.
    * Nice upgrade systems for numerous things like the characters, weapons and your organization in London. This is excellent. Encourages you to pump time into stuff.
    * More RPG like than the previous games, since you gain XP from various actions which result in level ups, which grants skill points and access to new stuff. Great addition.
    * Characters seem quite likeable.
    * Just as in The Witcher 3 there is areas that are considered too high level for you, BUT you can choose to try and tackle them anyway for the more extreme challenge of it. I loved this in The Witcher 3 and I love it here.

The bad:

* Controls and combat seems a bit sluggish and floaty. Compare this with Rogue and earlier where combat was fluid and fast. Here it's slowed down slightly, and countering attacks seems harder to pull off as you get less time to do the counters on occasion.
    * They got rid of the jump button. WHY THE HELL would you do that in a game about scaling buildings. This was a dumb mistake. Yes you can still jump off stuff, but you now have to hold down the action button to do it. And the game doesn't let you blindly jump off roofs anymore. Hell you can't even just let yourself drop freely off a roof/platform anymore without the game automatically grabbing the next one down. This is unless you hold down the action button. In all games prior you could let go and choose when to press the action button as you fell to grab a nearby grabbable thing. This just feels like hand holding and takes away direct control from the player. This is ESPECIALLY evident when your trying to get the collectables which with these changes in place means that where before you would have easily been able to get something with a well timed jump, now you can only get it with the zip-line. I HATE all of the these changes as they take away from the "Assassin's Creed" gameplay experience.

Neutral:

* There's no outside the animus stuff (besides cutscenes). I quite liked this in earlier games. AC Black Flag and Rogue in particular had excellent bits outside the animus. Earlier games to those had mixed experiences though I'll admit. This does mean though that there is now no logic puzzles AT ALL in the game. I loved these.

Doing a backlog cleanout, going back and finishing games that I started and abandoned. Here's what I've finished so far:

-Grim Fandango - this one was great. Worth the high regard it gets, though I ended up being pretty reliant on walkthroughs because how did anyone ever figure these puzzles out??

-Hitman: Absolution - it turns out there's a lot to like about this game if you look past the bad bits. Yes, the story is crap, but I like how it gives the game a more connected structure instead of the globetrotting assortment of random levels - I felt more compelled to finish it than the others in the series because of that. Yes, it has very little of the classic hitman gameplay, but the levels that did feature that were great. The rest was a more generic stealth game, but an enjoyable one despite some stupidly, frustratingly difficult bits. And lastly, the visuals are fantastically moody, making it a lot more compelling to look it and much vibier than any other game in the series.

I also played the demo for the new Hitman, which was quite cool. I don't like the modern handholdy design much, but the levels are big enough that it's hard not to rely on that a bit. I also don't understand why they thought it was wise to lock the graphics settings to what they think your system can handle - if I want to push my computer, let me! I was otherwise very pleased with this - the replayability is great. I got 8hrs out of a demo - when does that happen?

-Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - this was cool, but I don't feel compelled to play Phantom Pain now. I found it ragingly difficult to stealth for some reason - often frustratingly so. I completed every level once including the hidden ones (and the main level twice), and while I appreciate it on a number of levels, I ultimately found it a bit too frustrating to want to brave Phantom Pain's issues. I was also a bit tired of that level after 10hrs.

-The Evil Within: Wow, what a mess. There are a couple fantastic chapter (3, 9, 10), but the game is just so unfocused and padded (both on a small and large scale, with unnecessary chapters and pointless bits of chapters) and the combat simply isn't fun when it locks you into an arena. It could have used a lot more creativity in executing its main concept to avoid feeling like stuck together copies of better games. Very disappointing. The DLC was a big improvement, however.

I played the demo of the sequel (once again getting 4.5hrs out of a demo - what is this age we live in?), and it's such a vast improvement over the original that I can't even fathom it. I am very excited to play the rest of this game. It's like Evil Within + Alan Wake with ubisoft design principles, but way better than any of those things.

Always Minecraft (GT New Horizons modpack at the moment)

Still trying to finish Fallout 4.

All this stuff like SimSity, Sities XL, Cities: Skylines..

you know you could have introduced yourself

Level 10,000 achieved
    Currently downloading this month's PS+ games, RIME and... wait for it... KNACK, BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I've been playing Zwei II. Nihon Falcom own my soul.

DRAGON BALL FighterZ is a lot of fun and you don't have to be a master at fighting games to beat the story, in part because they have implemented an Easy Combo system. Of course, the story is mostly an excuse of why you have to use 3 characters and only 1 at a time and some parts of it feel quite grindy (especially the first 2/3rd of the final arc). But it's still fun to pull off stupidly ridiculous moves and combos without having to spend 10+ hours practicing each character, in fact almost all special moves are a quarter circle + a single button. The timing and practice needed to pull off truly spectacular combos is as strict as in any other fighting game, but the easy combos still look great and you can also interrupt them with a different move at any point if you want to.

I have it too but only got around to playing a few hours so far. If you wanna play me this is my name on there too. I tried to play a friend from Germany but he kept getting disconnected. I like how easy the execution on the moves is and how great it looks (at only 4.2GB!)

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Heh. That is absolutely something that could (and probably would) happen to us during one of the TTLG Arma sessions.
    Now that you're using CUP, all you need to do is give everyone an M47 Dragon to join in with the wire-guided negligence.

---

Right now I'm back into Avernum. I bought the third on release, and after 10 hours remembered I still haven't finished Avernum 2, so that's what I'm doing now. It's so moreish that I'm not burning out.
    Last edited by Neb; 8th Feb 2018 at 03:50.

Assassin's Creed Origins keeps reminding me of you, Neb, since many of the NPCs keep calling me "neb". Oh, and there's also lots of crocodiles around, in keeping with your Steam moniker. Makes me wonder if you're actually a secret assassin...

Anyway - differently from a bunch of other TTLGers, I'm not really connecting with Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's not bad, but I find its overall personality (and especially that of its main character) a real drag. I'll definitely finish it, but I don't think I'll remember it much a couple of days after finishing it.

Thing What Kicks
    Sounds like you feel about Rise the same way I do Thirith.

Myself, after initially enjoying a bit more Civ VI thanks to Rise & Fall, I rediscovered why I stopped playing it in the first place.
    There's a nasty audio bug that kicks in once you've circumnavigated the map, where audio channels gradually cut out until you're left with just the ambient sound, which is just wind.
    Can't believe it hasn't been addressed since launch.
    I've started a case with 2K support, but they want me to troubleshoot the problem myself, and in a game as long as Civ, I don't know if I can be arsed to play to that point again in a new, un-modded game just so I can send them a save file.

And after breaking from The Division thanks to being ill last week, it's not drawn me back in yet. So I'm bouncing around a bit.

Still trying to like Seven, which while it has some cool ideas, is crippled by inventory management and an annoyingly old school save system with no autosave, meaning you can lose a substantial amount of progress if you forget to save.

Titanfall 2 just can't hold my attention.

Dead Cells is great, but I want something a little beefier at the moment.

I'm dipping in and out of Subnautica, which is pretty cool, but also hamstrung by its survival credentials. There's just too much busywork, which is what ended up driving me away from No Man's Sky and other survival titles.

I've bought a bunch of the Cities DLC, so am going to get my teeth into that again.

But mostly, I'm really enjoying the contracts mode of Hitman. I played a fantastic one last night called "Apartments", which involved taking out 5 targets in the Sapienza Landfall scenario. Iterating over and over until I got the Silent Assassin rating was very cool

Finally got past that damn arena in AC - Syndicate. The difference that gaining an extra level and taking some time away from it can make. I was attempting the arena which came with a recommendation of being level 9 or better when I was level 7. I'm now level 8.

That said, besides that 1 arena the others despite my level difference weren't THAT hard. When they weren't glitching. This time round on playing them I made more use of the multi-kill health regen (for any time that you kill 2 or more enemies in one attack chain, you get a certain amount of health back per enemy killed), and better countering. I'd got my head around the way that countering works when 2 or more enemies flash to indicate their about to attack. The trick is to hit counter (and making sure not to be pressing anything else AT ALL, otherwise it glitches it) the amount of times that there are enemies. I'd been doing this before as well, but this time I had the tactic down properly.

Having this tactic down has helped me in the normal city areas as well, and has improved the gameplay greatly for me, as I'm no longer swearing at my computer due to dying in combat.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finished Rime last night. It's a very pretty game, and very hands-off. There are no quest-markers, instead you have to observe the environment to figure out how to progress. That's not to imply that it's challenging however, as all the puzzles and obstacles are fairly basic stuff like "push the box over there so you can reach the ledge". There are a handful of more challenging puzzles sprinkled throughout it's 5-6 hour runtime, but nothing too difficult. The platforming and movement are similarly quite basic third person stuff. And the story is... fine. So yeah, it's an alright game. A bit too long, I'd say. It doesn't have the ideas to sustan such a runtime so it would do well to follow the lead of similar games, like Abzu and Monument Valley, and keep it short.

Chakat sex pillow
    A lot of people say they're not sold on Rime's locale because it feels like a retread of Journey or The Witness. I haven't felt that way at all, I like the island's geography and the gorgeous day/night cycles. As a game it's not exactly breaking any ground in the exploration-platformer department, but as I'm scrambling around its ruins, it's got this certain sense of place that makes me happy to be traipsing around them. Part of it is in how you can see the layout of the island at points and get a feel of how its areas are interconnected. Another part of it's in the way the light smacks off the crumbled white stone facades during the day, and the glow of the moon as it rounds a sky that's almost literally an ocean of stars. It's just really pleasing to be in for a stretch of time.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The look of the game definitely reminds me of The Witness. The locales are nice. Most graphically spectacular was the rain-soaked area towards the end.

Hmm. I wonder if that would be something my 5-year-old would like? She's currently trying to bull her way through Mirror's Edge. She can almost complete the tutorial, which sounds like a joke but in ME's case is actually seriously impressive. Still, it drives me bonkers, not least because watching a 5-year-old play that game is more than a little nauseating. I could really use another Monument Valley level game to distract her with.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, Monument Valley was a hit with my 5-year old nephew as well. If you're looking for something similar (though not nearly as good-looking), there's Mekorama on the Android store. It's free-ish as far as I can see, haven't really needed to make any in-app purchases.

Have any of you played Monument Valley 2? I liked the first one, but if the second one is mainly more of the same, I don't think I'd need it. If it does new and interesting things, though, count me in.

Page 468 of 469 FirstFirst ... 218368418423428433438443448453458463464465466467468469 LastLast