TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 61116212631323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I should get back to Audioshield; it's definitely a cool rhythm game that works tremendously well in VR. What level do you play at, henke?
    Normal. I whopped your butt on Thirty Seconds To Mars' "The Kill" this morning.

Personally, I blame Jared Leto.

Fixed it by swapping the third sensor and HMD USB. Just played some Sairento and outside of framerate issues on the train level, really liking it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    How are you liking Sairento? I've heard some good things.

I played though Elevator To The Moon over the past couple evenings. Single-room puzzle thingy with some quite cringy humor, but pretty good storytelling. It's divided into 4 episodes, and each one ends on a cliffhanger that leaves you wanting to know what comes next. The puzzles are good and logical too. If you liked I Expect You To Die, you'll want to give this one a go.

Forgot to mention that I finished Scanner Sombre. It's good, though I could do without the horror stuff.

I only discovered your Audioshield challenges when I was already done with the game for today; will get back to them next week. The game makes for a pretty fun workout with wrist weights; my arms will be aching tomorrow.

From Other Suns is fun, but it’s not currently worth full price. It feels like an early beta or like an Early Access game; there are so many elements that would benefit greatly from polish and tweaking. Also, I wish they offered four-player coop instead of just three-player.

Finished Scanner Sombre, and while I'd recommend it for the aesthetic and atmosphere, I absolutely think they should've removed all of the horror tropes. Lean on the feeling of isolation, insinuate that this is a place where people have died, absolutely - but no jump scares, no screechy audio. This is the kind of ghost story that works best through melancholy and sadness.

I've also restarted Arizona Sunshine, mainly because I'd got to a part where I simply didn't have (or find) enough ammo to deal with the onslaught. I'm thinking that having played until the mine elevator before, it shouldn't take me too long to get there again, now that I know better how to play.

Finally, I did some more working out to the beat with Audioshield. Some songs are definitely too laid back in Normal, so I'll have to check out Hard and see how I do. Also, this is the first game where I really felt that the FOV is rather limited; I've missed a bunch of the coloured spheres (I'm not gonna say that I play a game where you punch balls- dang...) not because I was too slow but because they were just outside my field of vision.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Gimme a shout if you wanna try some Arizona Sunshine in co-op. I still have it installed and would love to do some co-op.

I also installed Onward again since it's having a free weekend.

Audioshield. [...] this is the first game where I really felt that the FOV is rather limited
    Yes, same.

I could imagine giving Onward another chance, though it didn't pull me in the first time round. Also, I'll probably be playing some Arizona Sunshine on Sunday morning, around 10-12 UK time (though not for the full two hours - that's a bit much zombie killing at once). Would you be around and potentially up for some headshootery then?

Thing What Kicks
    I think Jesh mentioned this to me in chat the other day, but Sairento VR has recently piqued my interest. I must have initially dismissed it, as I filter Early Access titles out of my Steam storefront. It's getting a lot of good feedback and recently released a campaign. Supports Rift and Vive, but is currently only available through Steam:

Looks like Jesh already owns it and henke wants it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Saitento is coming to the Oculus Store soon as well. I'll probably buy it there, at some point.

Would you be around and potentially up for some headshootery then?
    Absolutely!

Quick note: the campaign is out in early February. Right now you get randomly generated small missions and loot grinding, which is fun enough on its own to warrant a purchase imo. There's also co-op (right now, not just in February).

I'm gonna download Onward again too.

I could imagine giving Onward another chance, though it didn't pull me in the first time round.
    If you liked the concept of Onward but not the execution, Pavlov VR might be worth checking out. I like it better personally, it feels less clunky and is a lot faster to get into the game- more like a VR Counter-Strike than Onward's VR Insurgency.

Level 10,000 achieved
    After failing to get Arizona Sunshine's co-op working, Thirith and I played a few matches of Onward instead.

Oddly enough I'm not feeling any nausea afterwards, which might be a first for me and smooth locomotion games. Also getting a better grip on Onward's control-system.

Still Subjective
    I've not tried any VR since a Oculus DK2 years ago.

Which is now considered the best - the Rift or the Vive? I'd be playing Steam games on a PC, but may bet a PS4Pro in future. Are either compatible?

What games would you guys recommend? I'd like something super chilled, like the Witness but made for VR.

Any ideas?

As far as I can tell, at this stage it doesn't make a huge difference if you go for a Rift or a Vive (unless you're waiting for the new and improved Vive Pro). With a Rift I'd definitely suggest going for three sensors, though. I'm a big fan of the Touch controllers, which is mainly why I'm glad I went for a Rift, but there are new controllers coming for Vive that apparently are even better than Touch.

Concerning games: there's a VR version of The Talos Principle, which might be along the lines of what you're looking for, and there's Obduction, which is basically a current-gen Myst, from what I've heard, but I haven't played it myself. There's also the fun room escape game I Expect You To Die. Other than that, the must-have VR games according to me are Superhot and Lone Echo, but those are already pretty far removed from "like the Witness but made for VR".

There are more extensive comparisons out there, but I'll list my prime points:

Game-wise, it's a tossup. Rift and Vive both have exclusives. The Rift can run most games that are only listed as supporting Vive on Steam, and the Vive can run Rift-exclusive games via Revive. Both will have some controller jankiness on games for the other platform, naturally - notably, Vive games will generally ignore the Rift's grip trigger, and the trackpad and analog sticks don't work exactly the same.
    I'm not aware of any Windows Mixed Reality exclusives or its exact compatibility with not-officially-supported games on Steam.

The Vive has a more noticeable screen door effect (seeing lines between the pixels) than the Rift. The Vive Pro is better than both, but it'll probably cost a lot.

Rift's touch controllers are probably the best VR controllers on the market now.

Windows Mixed Reality headsets use inside-out tracking so you don't need to set up external sensors (though you still have the cable from the headset). Its controllers are generally a halfway-compromise between the Vive and the Rift. The controllers are also tracked by the cameras on the front of the headset, which means that you'll have a bad time if your hand's location to the side or back of you is important. You'll have a bad time playing tennis in VR, for example.

For roomscale tracking, Vive comes with 2 lighthouse trackers that do the job. For Rift, you might manage with the 2 sensors it comes with, but it's generally recommended to get a third, which will set you back an extra $60-ish.
    For the Rift, each sensor needs its own USB connection, with a recommended max of 2 per USB controller, and the headset uses another USB port and an HDMI port. You might need an extra USB card, which is about $25.

Windows Mixed Reality headsets are generally the cheapest, then the Rift, and then the Vive. I don't think there's really a wrong choice among them, but the controllers and price and slight screen door effect edge make me feel retroactively secure that my relatively blind Rift purchase was the right decision.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Rift and Vive are pretty similar these days. Rift is cheaper tho, especially if you pick it up during a sale. Neither are compatible with PS4Pro, if that's what you're asking.

There's plenty of chill puzzle VR games. Talos Principle, Obduction, Xing, Wilson's Heart, I Expect You To Die, Elevator to the Moon. (tho I've only played the last 2 of those)

Tho they're mostly "room escape" type things with a lot of variety tho, rather than endless variants of 1 puzzle type like The Witness.

edit: oh geez why did I even bother posting anything. I just knew a bunch of other answers were gonna pop up.

Still Subjective
    Thanks for the info. Sucks that neither work with a PS4PRo.

I missed that Vive Pro post earlier in the thread. I'll do some more reading about these.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Mindshow VR looks pretty flipping great. And it's free on Steam! Only official support for Vive, but apparently it works ok on Rift too. Gonna have to give it a go after work.

(skip to 19:19 if you just wanna see the finished production: Bambi 2)

I went through Blade Runner 2049: Memory Lab today, and it's a neat little experience. It takes up 15GB because the main actors aren't modeled but captured using (animated) photogrammetry. Its story is far from essential but does expand a bit on what 2049's technology would mean for its world: The player is a replicant blade runner, just like K/Joe, who retired (murdered) a replicant that turned out to not be a replicant. The blade runner's memory review AI assistant lady helps you edit your memory so it doesn't contain hints that the man was human anymore, and so that none of the witnesses can be traced anymore. This, because it's likely the replicant blade runner program would be terminated if the truth came out. What made the player character shoot the guy in the first place was a past memory of the guy beating him. That memory turns out to have been edited an planted in the player character by Niander Wallace, in order to eliminate a business partner that had betrayed him. In the end Wallace and the AI lady say you've done great, but then Wallace implies he's terminating you for some reason. I may have misunderstood that last bit.

It looks pretty great, and I love the tech they captured the people with because it genuinely does look like an actual person is standing there talking. There's downsides, of course: the game can't turn her head to face you if you move a little to the left or right, and sometimes there's some model imperfections like noses that look a little short, or frames of webbed fingers. All in all it just looks like a more advanced LA Noire. It also assumes you only have front-facing sensors for some reason, with a TURN AROUND message if you face back. I thought the "villain tells you his evil plans for no reason" ending was weak, but eh. It's free and it looks great.

Also delved a little more into Sairento, which seems to have quietly gotten the campaign update. I'm still into it, but also very incompetent right now. It's gonna take more getting used to. Also the second level opened with the first two rooms identical to the first level, which really weirded me out. I'm also having difficulty with the reloading, which is triggered by shaking your hand downwards hard. You really have to give it a very vigorous shake though, and I found myself with empty guns and an enemy in my face more than once because I didn't shake hard enough. I also managed to take my first screenshot in SteamVR (left touch controller: hold menu button and quickly press the trigger) but it's like Big Picture's screenshot shortcut: takes too long to take action shots.

I read this (German) review of a VR duelling game today: Cold Iron. As a concept, it sounds shallow, boring and repetitive - but the reviewer was extremely enthusiastic about the game. Apparently it works hard to change up the duel format (where you wait for the bell to toll and then try to fill your opponent with lead), introducing lots of wrinkles and puzzle elements. I can't really imagine what it plays like, though, and how it stays interesting; have any of you heard of it or even played it?

I've seen some Cold Iron gameplay and I can't imagine how it keeps itself varied when you're really just drawing and shooting at the bell over and over.

Eleven: Table Tennis VR is free to try this weekend. I'm shit at table tennis, which apparently means I'm gonna be shit at this game too, but I'll give it a whirl all the same.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Refunded Battlezone, picked up Sprint Vector, which is -50% on the Oculus Store for the next 12 hours or so. It's good, exhausting, fun.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh man, Sprint Vector is a lot more complicated than it initially looks. You really have to do all the tutorials to get a grip on it. Spending some time skating around the skatepark just getting comfortable with the controls is a good idea too.

Now *this* has me intrigued.

Realistically, it's the kind of thing I'd get massively excited about and then play two or three times, but I love what I'm seeing nevertheless.

Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 61116212631323334353637383940 ... LastLast