TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Civilization VI

Civilization VI

This October, soldiers from every time period and corner of the world duke it out until that mythical time when "one more turn" really does mean one more turn.

I think the thing that's caught my attention the most is the revamped city building. Instead of a city taking up a single tile and your Libraries and Factories acting as an applied bonus with no dimension on the game world map, city improvements now get built adjacent to the main city center itself. Universities gave you a science bonus if you built them in a city that was next to jungle in the previous game(s). Now you have to actually build the university in its own hex that has jungle in it to get that benefit.

Hexes are back, but it sounds like military units are stackable to an extent:

...a battering ram or a siege tower or an anti-aircraft gun or an anti-tank gun. In CiV those were all special units that took up a whole dedicated tile. In Civ 6, we call them support units. They can stack with other military units...
    They're also bringing back a form of the army system from Civ 3, where you could combine several units into a superunit. From the previews, it sounds like you can only do this with the same kind of unit, so once again I'm left wanting for my 1 tank + 50 spearmen game-ending monstrosity.

Definitely not wild on the vaguely cel shaded-looking graphics at this point, but maybe they look better in motion. I'm not looking for massive polygon counts or anything, but I'm gonna miss CiV's more naturalistic texturing.

*don'tkillmeYakoob

Am I the only person really bugged by how monstrously big the men are?

Oh no, not another Civ game!!!......Must resist being sucked into a bottomless time-hole.

Must resist!...

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Am I the only person really bugged by how monstrously big the men are?
    It's historically accurate. Some people were really tall back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    Definitely not wild on the vaguely cel shaded-looking graphics at this point, but maybe they look better in motion. I'm not looking for massive polygon counts or anything, but I'm gonna miss CiV's more naturalistic texturing.
    Yeah, I'm of about the same opinion. It looks like an ingame version of the art they use for the mobile versions.

Thing What Kicks
    If it improves performance, I'm all for it.

I played a lot of Civ 2 back in the 90s and loved it. What has the best single player? Civ 4 complete or Civ 5 complete?

Thing What Kicks
    The common consensus is that Civ IV is better than Civ V. But once I got used to it, I ended up massively preferring Civ V.
    Contrary to a lot of people, I preferred the new military rules, and the focus of the overall game felt tighter to me.
    That and I fell in love with Queen Lizzie's "Ship of the Line" unique unit.

Both games suffer from a late game malaise, mostly due to the map being completely explored (and the game slowing down ridiculously), but Civ V attempts to alleviate this with the introduction of Archaeology in one of the expansions. It kinda works, but I do find that all Civ games have had problems finishing off.

The RPS preview notes that Civ VI is "is running on a brand new suite of software", so here's hoping that means something other than Gamebryo.
    While I found Firaxis' implementation better and more stable than Bethesda's, I won't be sad to see it go.

I think the thing that's caught my attention the most is the revamped city building. Instead of a city taking up a single tile and your Libraries and Factories acting as an applied bonus with no dimension on the game world map, city improvements now get built adjacent to the main city center itself. Universities gave you a science bonus if you built them in a city that was next to jungle in the previous game(s). Now you have to actually build the university in its own hex that has jungle in it to get that benefit.
    This does sounds exciting and like a good potential evolution of Civ series without going all micro-management like traditional city building sims.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    It's historically accurate. Some people were really tall back in the day.
    Truth. Case in point: Paris

Everything there was clearly built for people 5 times taller than today.

*don'tkillmeYakoob
    Huh, why would I kill you? Is it about your cel-shaded comment? Is it cause of Karaski art style? Because GO TO HELL YOU WITLESS PLEBE WHO CANT APPRECIATE ART AAAAAH

*drinks another beer *

*passes out*

I honestly thought we had reached peak Civilization with Civ 5 and Beyond Earth by now. Maybe even at Civ 4 already.

I like the Civ games well enough, but the changes to city upgrades and the tech tree have me more excited about this one than any since 3. It sounds like, rather than going into a game with a set strategy and generally sticking to it, you'll have to adapt to the terrain and resources that are available. That's pretty exciting imo.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    I honestly thought we had reached peak Civilization with Civ 5 and Beyond Earth by now. Maybe even at Civ 4 already.
    As long as Alpha Centauri remains the deepest, cleverest, and most atmospheric of the Civs, you can't say the series has yet peaked. Or, rather, you can, but it happened a lot earlier than what you believe.

Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy if Firaxis did nothing more than updated AC with better graphics and more streamlined UI every decade.

Chakat sex pillow
    As someone who's had a nerve in his hand that feels like it's been stapled, I want an AC2 that goes deeper and darker.

Moderator and Priest
    I'd take an AC3, 4, and 5, so long as they're as good as AC.

I won't say that all the Civ games have been terrible disappointments. They're not. Each and every one of them have been excellent games all around. But AC still remains untouched. It's the highest point of a series made of high points.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    As long as Alpha Centauri remains the deepest, cleverest, and most atmospheric of the Civs, you can't say the series has yet peaked. Or, rather, you can, but it happened a lot earlier than what you believe.

Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy if Firaxis did nothing more than updated AC with better graphics and more streamlined UI every decade.
    Oh, I meant peak as in peak oil. Or tapped out, if you like. Otherwise, I agree.

I'll have to give AC another go. From what I remember the theme didn't excite me for more than a few hours, so I sadly never gave it much of a chance.
    Last edited by TannisRoot; 15th May 2016 at 09:57.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

So, what's the community's verdict on the new major expansion "Rise and Fall"?

Thing What Kicks
    It launches today, so I doubt the community has had a chance to play it yet, let alone develop an opinion.
    I'll certainly be giving it a go mind you.

The question is does it improve the AI of Civ VI? I didn't mind it at first but after a while it really started to dawn on me how bad the AI was.

Thing What Kicks
    So I remembered why I don't play more of Civ VI.

While the game itself is great, and certainly seems to have been improved by Rise & Fall, there's a serious audio bug that was present in the original release that they haven't fixed. Once you've circumnavigated the map, when you switch control to a naval unit, audio tracks gradually die off about one per turn, eventually leaving you with just a howling wind ambient track.

I raised a case with Take 2, pointing them to other forum threads reporting the same issue, but they basically want me to do their job for them and troubleshoot the game by uninstalling all mods and playing a new game up until the point the bug happens gain. With a game as long-winded as Civ, I can't be arsed, and to be honest, they should be getting their testers to reproduce this. You know, people they pay.

So I've stopped playing it again, and thanks to how automated their responses were (and the fact that this has been a bug since release of the base game), I don't hold out much hope for a fix.

With that and my recent experience with bugs in Kingdom Come, I'm getting really fucked-off with the shoddy state games are being released in.