TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 164 of 170 FirstFirst ... 64114119124129134139144149154159160161162163164165166167168169 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 4248

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Just watched Thor - Ragnarok. Pretty damn good overall. Some good laughs as well. Plenty of CGI, but that's fine.

8/10

[edit a few days later and don't want to double post]

And a few days later I just watched "Virus" from 1999. Wow, I'd never even heard of this one until a mention of it over on the systemshock.org forums. Excellent movie. Lots of body horror style stuff, melding of machine and man type stuff. Very good stuff. B-Grade movie certainly, but that's fine. Never a dull moment. The only flaw in the movie is that they say that the main heart of it would be destroyed by water, which makes perfect sense as that's what happens with electricity when in contact with a large volume of water. And yet the small (by comparison) worker machines appear to do perfectly fine in water. A minor small flaw.

8/10
    Last edited by icemann; 23rd Feb 2018 at 12:26.

And bugger it, I'll double post as it's been 6 days.

Just finished watching season 4 of The Wonder Years. This season I'm not sure why, but I only watched it in bits here and there for a good while for a year or so (partly due to some damn fine new TV shows coming up), and then this week I picked up where I left off and started watching several episodes per night and blitzed through the remaining half of the season that I was up to. In doing so, I gained back much of the appeal of the show in the first place when it ran 5 days a week back in the 80s and 90s. This is a show that's meant to be binge watched. Not an episode here, then a week/month later an episode there. This is truly a one of a kind show, that you just don't see on TV anymore. Especially as through the course of the show you see the actors grow up with it. Compare season 1 to the final 6th season and there is a HUGE difference in the look of the actors (for obvious reasons).

This was one of my favorite shows growing up, and now re-watching it, I stand by that. This is one of greatest shows of all time. Got nothing but the highest respect for it.

Chakat sex pillow
    The Wonder Years was the only time the entire family gathered in one place to watch TV without question when I was growing up. We even weathered through the 'Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex But Was Afraid to Ask' episode without my mum being too concerned about me being only 9 at the time. It made me go a bit red in the face -- not because of the topic per se, but because Kevin's situation neatly mirrored mine - my dad had a copy on top of the medicine cupboard that I could get at by standing on the tips of my toes. I'd already paged through it a couple of times by that point and proceeded to share the 'knowledge' with my school friends. I wanted to read it because it had an eye-catching bright yellow cover and, let's face it, something so obviously not meant for me was always going to be completely irresistible.

I get the feeling my mom was chill about the episode because she knew I'd already read it, could sense it somehow; moms knows every single one of your secrets even if you haven't whispered a word of them. That's their secret power.

She didn't say anything though, just laughed at the funny scenes and gave me a knowing look before she went to the kitchen to make dinner. The Wonder Years consistently gave me the maximum of second-hand embarrassment I've ever felt in a TV show to this day, and that was only one of its charms. I'm sure it remains as funny, warm, truthful and poignant as it does in my memory, and that's the way I'll continue to remember it.

One of the best shows ever made? You bet.

Still Subjective
    Black Panther

IMAX 3D BOIIIIIII

Probably my favourite Marvel film outside of GotG 1 and 2.

I don't usually go for 3D but this was a recommendation and yes it worked great. I really liked everything in this, but I'm probably highly biased because loads of it was really nostalgic. There's nothing quite like acacia trees on the grasslands to me so YMMV.

4/5

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    ...let's face it, something so obviously not meant for me was always going to be completely irresistible.
    "Not meant for me" yeah right. Placing a book like that was just "how it was done" for a generation or so.

Maybe his parents really needed a Kama Sutra for dummies? :P

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    "Not meant for me" yeah right. Placing a book like that was just "how it was done" for a generation or so.
    Heh, I'd believe that if I'd had a different dad, but mine was remarkably indifferent about a) giving me The Talk*, and b) there were worse things I'd find in his collection at eye level. He had a serious book on black magic that for some reason had very involved illustrations detailing the drawing of pentagrams and incantations meant to be chanted without any clothes on when summoning demons. Basically, he expected me to read whatever I wanted whenever I wanted, age be damned; I'm pretty sure it was my mom who relocated the Reuben book to the top of the cupboard in the hopes of preserving my innocence for a while longer. You grow up fast at that age though.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Maybe his parents really needed a Kama Sutra for dummies? :P
    Man, we're Indians. We invented the damn thing. My mom did eventually find a copy in my schoolbag one day, but that's another story.

*Still haven't gotten it to this day, and I'm a grown-ass adult who trolls people with chakats because I think they're zany. Maybe I missed a coming of age touchpoint here.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 26th Feb 2018 at 16:05.

Recently...

3 Billboards - Excellent movie with fantastic central performances and a return to form for Sam Rockwell, who hasn't done enough work recently for my liking. I must admit I've warmed to the younger McDonagh brother - where I instantly loved The Guard and Cavalry, it took me a little longer to come around to In Bruges and I soured on Seven Psychopaths after my initial reaction, but this movie hooked me from the start and never let go. Of course he had to shoe-horn in an unnecessary rant against pedophile priests but it wouldn't be an Irish movie without that.

Thor Ragnorok - Hilarious and genuinely spirited stuff that's won me back over to the comic book cause. So much so that I'll see Black Panther with the kids soon.

Altered Carbon - Fantastic visuals, solid lead by Kinnaman (who it has to be said bears more than a passing resemblance to a certain TTLGer if you pumped him full of roids) undone not only the silly pulpish trappings of the book but also the terrible direction they've taken the Envoy backstory. Fuck knows how they'll handle the lesser books of Woken Furies and Fallen Angels in light of this hippy super warrior slant they've taken... but I imagine Ewoks could feature in the future at this rate.

Still Subjective
    Mute.

What. A. Crock.

2/5

That's all.

Jesus

Level 10,000 achieved
    Lost City of Z - This was really good. Great performances by Hunnam and Pattinson.

Also switched from HBO Nordic to Amazon Prime for a month to see what they've got. I wanted to watch One Mississippi but apparently that's not available here.

The Grand Tour - Ehhhh, I think I'm all Top Gear-ed out honestly. I couldn't be bothered with the last couple seasons of the old show, and this one doesn't really do anything to switch up the formula drastically, so I stopped watching on ep.2.

The Tick (the new one) - Watched 5 episodes, hoping for it to pick up(a lot of comedy shows take a few eps to find their voice) but it doesn't show signs of improving so I've stopped watching this one too. Arthur's backstory is more fleshed out in this version, and kinda gives him more motivation, not that I'm sure the character needed a whole lot of motivation. Peter Serafanowich(or whatever) is... a bit underwhelming. His line-delivery is somewhere between Warburton's Tick and Adam West's Batman, without being as much fun as either of those 2 comedy superhero greats. Really though, how is anyone ever gonna be able to top Warburton in this role? There's just no way.

Jean Claude Van Johnson - Jean Claude Van Damme plays Jean Claude Van Damme, legendary action movie actor and secret spy. To pursue the love of his life he comes out of retirement, taking on a mission in Bulgaria, under the cover of acting in an "action movie retelling of Huckleberry Finn".

I'm only 4 episodes in yet, but enjoying it a lot. It's weird and ambitious, and JCVD is a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Kinnaman (who it has to be said bears more than a passing resemblance to a certain TTLGer if you pumped him full of roids)
    Hah! Never realized the resemblance to Stitch.

Just watched "Patterson". What an excellent movie. It kinda reminded me of the videogame "Everyday the same dream", and also of my own life when I used to work in call centers, where every day was quite similar with only small differences and dreaming of a better day, pursuing my dreams. In my case, I woke up one day and enrolled in uni and pursued my dreams of making games.

Adam Driver is fantastic, giving an excellent performance. After seeing him in this + the more recent Star Wars movies, I have the utmost respect for him. Great actor.

It's not a movie for everyone as it's one of those movies where you have no idea where in the hell it's going. For me I quite like those. Oh and god damn is his partner in it spectacular. I'd buy that for a dollar. Wow. This is one of those movies that has you thinking about it long after + contemplating your own life and choices. Great movie, though not for everyone.

10/10

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I just saw Three Billboards as well. I loved how I had no idea what was going to happen next. The trailer pretty much just deals with the first 3rd of the movie and there are some unpredictable turns after that. About the ending, yeah I can see why some people wouldn't like it. It looks like the story is just about to tie itself up with a pretty bow and then... NOPE! It's not a happy ending, at best it's an ambiguous one. For Mildred, who is unlikely to get a happy ending, it's... something. For Dixon, who was on the path to becoming a good person and perhaps even a good cop for a moment there, it's a lapse back to old ways and definitely not a good ending. But also, just like Mildred, perhaps it's all he can get at this point. Yeah it really leaves you thinking. Wonderful movie, I hope it gets the best picture Oscar tonight. (not that I've seen the other nominees, except Get Out)
    Last edited by henke; 5th Mar 2018 at 02:49.

Iím wondering if Iím one of the only people who read the filmís final line as a pretty certain indication that they wonít actually go and kill anyone. After all, Mildred isnít the kind of person likely to outright say she was wrong; her saying that, well, they can decide on the way is as close as she gets to saying sheís changed her mind.
    Last edited by Thirith; 4th Mar 2018 at 13:47.

Chakat sex pillow
    Time I saw that too, onto the queue it goes.

I spent the weekend being retro and blasting old rock 'n roll ditties I grew up with, and then proceeded to embarrass myself by revisiting a movie that featured ABBA predominantly in its soundtrack. That's right: Muriel's Wedding. (You were expecting some Meryl Streep title? Puhleez.)

It has been more than ten years since I saw it last, and I'm happy to report it's still a magnificent cringe comedy that sets up its poignant (if hurried) final third with all the energy and wry observations of humanity I remembered it having. It still hits home because its central message - discovering who you are is a journey that almost always involves losing something precious, because who you are is defined by how much you've lost and how much you've gained in equal measure - has never been lost on me.

The script is great, but this is a movie that is made by its performances. I can't imagine it being even halfway successful without Toni Collette's portrayal of a cringeworthy, derpy innocent's transformation into a morally compromised achiever who sold her soul to the steely, resolute eyes of someone who's decided to grow up. Rachel Griffiths and Jeanie Drynan (Muriel's mum) hold their own as well, while not always coming off as fully-realised characters, they effortlessly portray what happens to people when life decides to beat down on them until something breaks.

It's been a blast rediscovering that kid me was reliable enough to know what a great goddamn movie looked like. Soon, it'll be time to revisit Dark Star.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh that's a good one, Sulph. Been ages since I've seen it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I’m wondering if I’m one of the only people who read the film’s final line as a pretty certain indication that they won’t actually go and kill anyone. After all, Mildred isn’t the kind of person likely to outright say she was wrong; her saying that, well, they can decide on the way is as close as she gets to saying she’s changed her mind.
    Maybe. They might turn around before they get there, but if they do get all the way there and she gets a look at the guy, realizes it's the same fucker that was in her shop earlier, I'm guessing she'll go through with it.

What have you watched lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Toni Collette
    I went to see Julius Caesar at the Bridge Theatre https://bridgetheatre.co.uk/whats-on/julius-caesar/* last weekend, and Toni Collette was in the audience. OMG.

* For anyone living in and around London I can highly recommend going to see this! Preferably not on a hangover like I did, though, it does get quite loud at times.

I read the ending of Three Billboards like you did, henke.

3 billboards ending pretty much only makes sense that they're not going to do what they've planned. Otherwise, they'd just go with a cut after the wide shot, an open ending, without the scene inside the car. There was no sense in prolonging that last minute or two, if there wasn't any change in film's characters to show.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well yeah there's sense in it. It introduces doubt. Without that last scene there'd be no mystery about what's going to happen next.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by TannisRoot View Post
    Dark on Netflix. It's fantastic. Watch it in the original German with subtitles. Much better than Stranger Things imho.
    I was home with the flue last week. I watched Stranger Things season 2. I liked it. I actually liked it more than season 1. It was entertaining.

Tonight I watched the first episode of Dark. It started good. It already grabbed me. I'm gonna watch the other episodes over the next week or so.

It's refreshing to see something different than the same boring US settings. Hear a different language. See real people. See things that resemble the world I live it. (Germany is 300 meters from my kitchen window. That's real. I know Germany exists. E.g. Indiana (Stranger Things) or New Mexico (Breaking Bad), NY or LA could all just as well be on another planet. As far as I'm concerned, everything we see on TV from the US is 100% fake).

Weird that nobody else here has been watching Dark. It got good reviews too.

===

Edit: I finally watched the last episode. I don't like binge-watching, especially if something is good and requires some thought. So I watch at most one episode a night. Dark is good. Maybe the best series I've seen in a while. Can't wait for season 2.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 25th Mar 2018 at 06:42.

Chakat sex pillow
    I liked 3 Billboards for its very, very Coen-like sensibilities, including the way it ended. I don't think it's a coincidence McDonagh went with Frances McDormand for the lead; it's not quite as good as Fargo AFAIC, but it's a nice, tight piece of dark comedy that, while lacking some of the creative energy from In Bruges, has a pair of cracking performances to make up for it.

I also saw The Shape of Water and while it's nice enough, I find it hard to believe that the Academy gave del Toro his Oscar for this and not Pan's Labyrinth. It's a warm enough movie with great cinematography, but it's missing key development in its central relationship, and its villain is an almost note-for-note retread of Captain Vidal. At 2 hours it spends too much time on plot (the Russian bits could easily have been shortened - the overt symbolism of The Other still being relatable human beings is well and good, but wasn't that also the point of the fishman to begin with?) and too little on personality.

It's pretty much Pan's Labyrinth if you retooled it as fairy tale Oscar bait, and I respect del Toro for still making it a great watch, but the greatest asset of his film-making approach has always been ambiguity. Losing that out for simpler storytelling with clear moral divides and easily spelled out subtext means you may win one crowd over, but risk losing the other. I'm happy he won the Oscars, though, it's been long deserved.

Had some extended family in town and got dragged into. Watching Paddington on Netflix.

Contrasting it with the original gave me an idea what's wrong with kids movies these days: We simply don't give kids enough credit for their intelligence and assume theyre ADHD addled simpletons. Any one of the original cartoons had a lot of dry humor with some subtle social commentary about the ridiculousness of modern social behaviors that usually collide head on with Paddingtons good natured naivete, with the standout episode being one where Paddington is taken to an auction( On YouTube). Those old shows like Paddington were great because many of them teach kids about the world but do so in a way that allows them to question and challenge why things are what they are.

Besides which its kinda sad when the original ten minute cartoon had more depth than the 90 minute movie imitating that first episode.

On Pans labyrinth though.... Where was the ambiguity there? It was pretty clear that the girl was a good and innocent soul while the fascists were irredeemable evil.

Chakat sex pillow
    The ambiguity in Pan's Labyrinth isn't about who's good and who's bad - though there's certainly that in terms of the Faun - but about the value of escapism in the face of horror. The 'happy ending' with all the soft golden lighting is undercut by the fact that all the magical/horrible experiences the girl had were likely in her imagination. The girl's not a force for good either, she's just someone trying to survive the war -- as is almost everyone else in the movie.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Annihilation, by Alex Garland(the guy who made Ex Machina, wrote Dredd(and secretly directed it(!)) and Sunshine AND Enslaved: Odyssey To The West(!!!)). This movie is getting a theatrical release in the US but coming straight to Netflix in Europe! You know what else? It's fucking great. One of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a long time. I went in without even having seen a trailer so I really had no idea what to expect and I think that's the best way to see it.

Chakat sex pillow
    Also 28 Days Later, henke. Nevar forget.

So, obligatory Alex Garland question: in Annihilation, does someone go insane in the final act and start murdering people or has that formula finally been ground out?

Page 164 of 170 FirstFirst ... 64114119124129134139144149154159160161162163164165166167168169 ... LastLast