TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Heard of this one?

Heard of this one?

Game Sack did this video on unreleased games, and on watching it today they mentioned "Mini Racers" on the N64 by Looking Glass Studios. I can't say I'd heard of the game before. Looks very similar to Rock'n'Roll Racing on the SNES (by Blizzard).

I wasn't aware that LGS had/was doing games for systems other than the PC, besides that Dreamcast port of SS2 that got cancelled.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I have heard about it. One week ago, in another part of this forum.

Southquarter.com/fms
    This was mentioned in ThiefGen recently too. They were also working on a kayaking game for the N64 called Wildwaters.

https://lgsgames.wordpress.com/unreleased/

Looking Glass released two N64 games, Destruction Derby 64, and Command and Conquer. I really wish they'd released System Shock on the N64, as it's a really good game, and deserved a lot more exposure and publicity than it ever received, and it would have been a welcome addition to the N64's gaming library.

System Shock is complicated enough to control with a keyboard and mouse, I'm sure an N64 controller would've exploded at the mere sight of the game.

Chakat sex pillow
    Not if they made it a rail shooter. You could shoot logs to play them from a distance, shoot doors to open them, and shoot control panels to skip the minigames. I don't see the problem, really.

Whatever your job right now (Chakat artiste?), quit a.s.a.p. and become a game designer. Seriously, your idea is that good.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yes! Vindication! Now I can pitch that Police Academy game to Rockstar with the confidence that it's only my second-best idea ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Police Academy game to Rockstar
    Damn, now you're giving me ideas...

Administrator
    Sounds awesome! Although it could turn out like this knowing Sulphur...

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    System Shock is complicated enough to control with a keyboard and mouse, I'm sure an N64 controller would've exploded at the mere sight of the game.
    Not at all. A good control setup could be used to make the game fully playable with the joypad (all the more so if they redesigned the on screen UI around the joypad, as for example was done with Deus Ex on the PS2 - I remember when the PS2 port was announced people said the controls could never translate to a console, but they did a great job). The only thing I've never been able to do with a joypad is comfortably lasso items (as in a RTS game), but first person games play fine with a joypad.

A) Good FPS controls on consoles only really started with Halo, everything before that was incredibly clunky.
    B) System Shock is more complex than your average FPS.

It could be done, sure. I highly doubt it would’ve been much fun to play, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Police Academy game to Rockstar
    Now see, that could actually be a pretty good game. The Simpson's - Hit and Run did quite well in the sandbox setting. Police Academy could do similar.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    Sounds awesome! Although it could turn out like this knowing Sulphur...
    I'm not sure why I spent 5 minutes trying to make a chic goth policewoman with that link, but you're right, I'm reappropriating the paper doll interface for fame, profit, and great justice.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    A) Good FPS controls on consoles only really started with Halo, everything before that was incredibly clunky.
    FPS games played fine on the N64, using the analogue stick to aim, and the C buttons to move. Since the C buttons are digital, you can't move at different speeds by pressing them down to different degrees (the same limitations apply to a keyboard, of course). I still play Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, etc, to this day, and the controls are great.

Though it would be better with two analogue sticks, of course.

B) System Shock is more complex than your average FPS.

It could be done, sure. I highly doubt it would’ve been much fun to play, though.
    I don't see why. And System Shock 2, Thief 1, and Thief 2 could have been great on the next generation consoles, I think. I also think that a Thief collection, a package putting Thief 1 and 2 onto the XBox 360 and PS3 (and later the XBox One and PS4), would have been much more popular than the Thief 4 we eventually received. I doubt many people would disagree.

Come to think of it, who does own the rights to Thief 1 and 2 now?

Square Enix.