TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    I finally caved in a bought Nier: Automata. See you guys in a month!
    Only a month? I've been playing Horizon: Zero Dawn since mid-December.

Thing What Kicks
    To be honest, even though Near A Tomato has lots of endings, it really doesn't take that long to finish.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Been returning to Spintires: Mud Runner lately, playing the new Valley level, and also checking out some of the user-made vehicles. This is one of the more wonderful creations I've found in the Steam Workshop, the MONSTRO!

Man I love the music in that game.

Hearing that makes me want to go play a level or ten. They just don't do stuff like that anymore.

And as my last game was a current gen game was time for a retro game I'd not played before. Enter "Tales of Phantasia". A game never released in English officially on all the systems it was released on. But translation patches are available for 2 out of the 4 releases. So my choice was between the super nintendo original which is amazingly good, with features that you normally would never see on there (eg some voice acting, highly detailed 2D sprites), or the Playstation 1 version which is higher resolution, has more voice acting (all Japanese), higher qualitty music and audio, a few anime style cutscenes, a redone UI + battle system.

So yep the Playstation 1 version won out in the end, but I did try out both. The PS1 version seems a bit harder, but then with all the additions it was the best choice. So played the game for a few hours. Quite fun. Damn fine music I must say also.
    Last edited by icemann; 9th Mar 2018 at 23:32.

Tales of Phantasia was officially released in English for GBA. Three years later than Japan, and only because Nintendo published it, but still.

Chakat sex pillow
    I remember playing it more than a decade ago with a fan translation that seemed just a little questionable when a character mentioned that they thought 'Arche fucks like a tiger in bed'. I think it's safe to say that wasn't in the original script.

The things I vaguely remember outside of that were that it had an opening theme song (on an SNES cart! Holy sheez!), the combat was a mess of party members running about and yelling names of special moves before executing them, and it was tropey as all get out. Having recently finished Berseria, it's comforting to see how all of that has mapped 1:1 in the transition to 3D so seamlessly that at points I felt like I'd been warped back to my college years; so little has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerker View Post
    Tales of Phantasia was officially released in English for GBA. Three years later than Japan, and only because Nintendo published it, but still.
    I did do some reading on that one + the PSP version. The GBA one is minus nearly all of what was added into the PS1 version (so the anime cutscenes, new side quests and characters etc etc). That's why I went with the PS1 version.

The only things in translation which amused me so far was finding a "girlie mag" and one of the titles (think job classes sort of) for one of the characters which has the title and description:

Pain in The Ass:

A title given to one who depends on a woman that is neither wife nor lover.

Sulphur: The PS1 version I'm playing has the characters yelling Japanese stuff all the time. I'm quite used to that, as that features in many PS1-PS2 era JRPGs. Not so much for the SNES though. In the case of the SNES version I can't believe they pulled all that off on the system. The 3D rotatable world map is quite well done, though if you've played any other PS1 or PS2 era JRPG then this is quite standard in there (Final Fantasy 7 and 8 for example, Wild Arms etc have that).

I do like all the little additions here and there for this PS1 version. The monster encyclopedia (which you need to use a particular item on monsters to fill up the stats era in it), world map item that shows you the inventory of every shop you've been to. Quite handy. There is much here for the completionist. And it just had to have the mana tree in there. I have played so many JRPGs that have had that in there somewhere that it's becoming a JRPG trope in itself. And I'm not just restricting that to the "Mana" JRPG series.

The Shadow of the Colossus remake is absolutely gorgeous and (at least on PS4 Pro) plays so much more smoothly than the original did on PS2, which does make a big difference, as you spend the time fighting the colossi and not the framerate. At the same time, I very much notice that this is the third or fourth time I'm playing the game: by now I know how to tackle the colossi and where their weak points are. This is perhaps the first time that I'd say a game suffers from mechanical spoilers, so to speak; its effect is reliant on each fight being a struggle, so you then get that ambivalent mix of achievement and guilt/shame/sorrow for having killed such a magnificent beast in service of a more than ambiguous entity that may or may not resurrect your girlfriend. If the fight isn't a process of learning how to beat these creatures but rather an act of remembering how you did it the last time, the feel of the game changes - and SotC depends so much on feel. I still very much appreciate the game and what it does, but emotionally it's a shadow of how the game felt the first time around.

On PC, I'm slowly getting to the point where I'm ready for Assassin's Creed Origins to get to an end. The game hasn't outstayed its welcome yet (something that happened with each of the predecessors), but I've been playing this most of the time for about a month now and I'm ready for a change. I will eventually play the DLC, but only after a bit of a break.

Thing What Kicks
    Boy Band Simulator, AKA Final Fantasy XV is gradually growing on me, despite the batshit control system and odd, plasticky, lifeless feel that so many Japanese games have (Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden 2, No More Heroes; all great games, but all sharing that same weird, unreal feel).

It's my first Final Fantasy.
    I've tried a few JRPGs over time, but bounced off of most due to how linear their RPG systems are. I get the feeling that the same will ring true for this game's systems too, but the weird attempt at third-person gameplay is oddly compelling. It's like a combat system designed by someone who is vaguely aware that spectacle fighters exist, but hasn't ever actually played one.

It's also incredibly tropey, in the way that a lot of Japanese pop culture we get in the west is. Characters all fit rigidly in to certain archetypes, and you can take a wild guess about their progression through the story just by their damn haircut.
    On top of that, it's also insistent on filling gaps in conversation with grunts and cries of surprise / consternation, making even the most mundane conversation needlessly melodramatic.

All of this is serving to make the game quite goofily charming.

I am however, rather underwhelmed by the visuals so far.
    For all the noise that was made about how good the game looks prior to and post release, I'm finding it serviceable, but not spectacular. Certainly not as mind-blowingly awesome as the graphics in The Division, that's for sure.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    The Shadow of the Colossus remake is absolutely gorgeous and (at least on PS4 Pro) plays so much more smoothly than the original did on PS2, which does make a big difference, as you spend the time fighting the colossi and not the framerate.
    Having just played through The Last Guardian I am wondering if I should have spent the extra on a PS4 Pro. On the other hand, why weren't they able to balance it a bit better for standard PS4 hardware? I suspect not enough effort on optimisation because HZD is a very reliable 30Fps and no less complex and this was anywhere between under 10 and 30 by the looks of things.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    It's my first Final Fantasy.
    I've tried a few JRPGs over time, but bounced off of most due to how linear their RPG systems are. I get the feeling that the same will ring true for this game's systems too, but the weird attempt at third-person gameplay is oddly compelling. It's like a combat system designed by someone who is vaguely aware that spectacle fighters exist, but hasn't ever actually played one.
    The combat is serviceable, but it's not great; I prefer the old active time battle systems or even (saints preserve us) FF XIII's party configuration switch-up jamboree. However, it's definitely moreish which is a plus considering most of the game's about heading into or out of combat via car, chocobo, or leather lace-up boot.

On top of that, it's also insistent on filling gaps in conversation with grunts and cries of surprise / consternation, making even the most mundane conversation needlessly melodramatic.
    That's only like every other Japanese video game ever made. It's not annoying except when you constantly run into them because they're behind you when you turn, and their gasps of consternation make me go, 'what? you were in the way, you juddering sharthammer'. If only there were a way to actually tell them that.

I am however, rather underwhelmed by the visuals so far.
    For all the noise that was made about how good the game looks prior to and post release, I'm finding it serviceable, but not spectacular. Certainly not as mind-blowingly awesome as the graphics in The Division, that's for sure.
    Yeah, it's no visual benchmark but it can be rather pretty. It does distant backdrops fairly well, almost as nicely as Breath of the Wild, though the framerate is incredibly variable.

I only play JRPGs once every 3-4 years, but I enjoyed Ni No Kuni a fair bit back on the PS3 - less for the moment-to-moment gameplay than for the Studio Ghibli aesthetics and the Joe Hisaishi soundtrack. If anyone's still got their PS3 hooked up or if the PS3 emulator is up to it, it's worth checking out that one if you have even the tiniest interest in JRPGs.

Which reminds me that at some point I should really play Persona 4, seeing how I enjoyed the third game in the series. It's been sitting on my shelf for a long time, so perhaps that's one to check out after Assassin's Creed Origins.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, Ni No Kuni was my last JRPG, and I really enjoyed that. But not enough to finish it. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to that.
    I thought the journey through that creature's insides was very fun. And the Pokemon-esque "Gotta Catch 'em All" stuff was pretty good too.

The sequel is apparently going to have town building stuff in there.

Tried Ni No Kuni very much. Everyone kept raving about how "charming" it was, but my opinion is that "charm" only goes so far when the setting, story, and combat are all extremely dull. Didn't help that there was no sense of urgency whatsoever in the game.

I don't think I've ever played a good JRPG that wasn't made by Falcom other than Earthbound and Chrono Trigger (and I guess top-down Zelda if you count that). The first Trails trilogy is the greatest non-action JRPG ever made.

If you don't mind retro graphics then Phantasy Star 1 is excellent, or go with Y's which goes for a bumping mechanic to defeat enemies.

Crisis Core on the PSP was quite good also, though for that one I'd recommend playing FF7 first, then that. Alundra (discussed a few pages back in this thread) is another great one since you mention top down Zelda.

Just watch this intro to the game and tell me that it's not awesome:

Er... isn't Ys one of the JRPGs that's made by Falcom, though?

Ah yeah that's right. Bah, been working all day. Brain not working. Secret of Mana or Castlevania - Symphony of The Night then.

I'm pretty sure I might rate Trails In The Sky above Chrono Trigger, even if it's sacrilege.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, you can't argue with Shakespeare.

(Or any other classical poet for that matter, 'cause they're dead.)

I'd like to see what a more literal translation would be like for some Xseed-localised Falcom games, because I feel like the girl who does them has to be taking some liberties. YS I has a Hall and Oates quote right at the beginning, Ys Seven has a line from the original Gauntlet coin-op, and Trails FC has some other references in addition to that Shakespeare line. And Zwei II uses the word "jagoff" which is a pretty regional word.

Isn't that a standard thing in translations? Tales of Phantasia which I'm playing currently has some references to other stuff in there.

Announcement: Me and a friend bought Farm Sim on the steam sale.

Tonight I will be publicly livestreaming drunk Farm Sim. Details to follow probably start at 8

Edit: postponed to tomorrow.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 16th Mar 2018 at 17:57.

Page 471 of 485 FirstFirst ... 221371421426431436441446451456461466467468469470471472473474475476481 ... LastLast