TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: System Shock 2 production images

solus

System Shock 2 production images

hey folks! i was browsing through some of the files on my system and a came across some old shock2-related images. i thought some of you would be interested in them.

<HR><TABLE BORDER=0><TR><TD> </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=2>Michael Ryan
    Game Designer and Medieval Bricklayer
    <HR>Mad Doc Software
    http://www.maddocsoftware.com
    </FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

[This message has been edited by solus (edited December 14, 2000).]

solus

this is an eary piece by michael 'msg' swiderek. i believe it was for a jewel case insert.

solus

here are some early versions of the hydroponics level.

astute viewers should be quick to notice the variations in size of each floorplan. the final version was smaller than either of these.

solus

here is a xerxes-related image ... another piece of art by MSG. the man's an adept at logos and user interface design.

here's a link to an image i used as a windows loading screen during a good portion of shock2 development [XERXES SERIES X-9000SC] ... it was later replaced by another one i made [happy noodle boy]. to use either as a windows loading screen, just rename it to "logo.sys" and drop it in your root C:\ folder.

solus

here is a mockup i made for the last level in the game.

playing with an idea that you would romp through a japanese-like virtual reality before landing in the recreation of citadel station, i had constructed a small japanese house with three small rooms, the outside garden and pond, and a pretty cool-looking entryway corridor. if you were to look up, you would have seen blocks of corrupted data and chunks of wire-frame cubes carved into the night sky.

this is a single shot from inside the house. the remainder of the level was mostly untextured or lit, but the geometry was complete.

Brad Schoonmaker

Very cool!!
    I really like the Japanese house picture. It reminds me of the quality Deux Ex shows in its interiors. Where did you originally get these shots, anyway?

Brad S.

solus

Originally posted by Brad Schoonmaker:
    Very cool!!
    I really like the Japanese house picture. It reminds me of the quality Deux Ex shows in its interiors. Where did you originally get these shots, anyway?
    thanks! the rest of the level would have looked pretty cool had i finished it. we were talking about dropping some emails in the game mentioning shodan's original programmer and his/her fascination with japanese culture. i'm nearly positive it never made it into the game ... it was just something we talked about for a bit (like maybe twenty minutes).

i took that shot right after creating the area. the other images were taken or made sometime during the development cycle. i believe the jewel case insert was developed for a demo or milestone burn we were sending out.

zarathustrian

Wow, that hydroponics floorplan is so detailed/complicated. I'm surprised you can make heads or tails out of it!

If you have any more art/pics etc, please post them. We'd love to see more.

------------------
    "You may only be a robot head, 790, but you are still the best head I ever had!"
    -- "Xev" of Lexx

GPMAgent

uh... *fumbles around pockets and hard drive* I don't got any to post here. Boo-hoo .

Brad Schoonmaker

solus
    I didn't know you were on the dev. team for the game. Your profile doesn't show you were.
    Thanks for the info. and please do post more. I'm always into finding out everything about this game.

Off Topic:
    Saam recently posted on the main site that the LGS internal newsletter was no longer allowed on the site. If you were included in any subject of this newsletter (or not for that matter), did you have a problem with it being available for us to read? Just curious since I never see any other dev. people on this board.
    Thanks again.

Brad S.

James Sterrett

While on the topic, anybody have a 1024x768 version of the Xerxes-logo-and-ship screen that shows when Shock 2 checks to see you have a valid CD in the drive? Corinne (my wife) wants to use it as a desktop background, but we've never found it on the CD.

Grundbegriff

I didn't know you were on the dev. team for the game. Your profile doesn't show you were.
    For a bit more information on Mike Ryan, see the thread
    <font color=red>In Praise of Mike Ryan</font>
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/ubb/Forum14/HTML/003789.html

Sorry, Mike!

Cheers,

G.

------------------
    Cutpurse-in-Chief, CLAN Larcenio Haul
    Check out the Best of the TTLG Thief Forum
    I'm tired of some....

Grundbegriff

did you have a problem with it being available for us to read? Just curious since I never see any other dev. people on this board.
    For a list of other development people who have posted here (some of them quite often), see
    <font color=red>Who's Who</font>
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/ubb/Forum14/HTML/001710.html

Cheers,

G.

NoCoolAlias

James,
    The image is only 640x480, but look for the file named
    on the CD. Just change the .256 extension to .bmp.

rolo

Very cool stuff. Also, if you want another really cool background image check out the setup.bmp file on the System Shock 2 CD. Shodan and the System Shock 2 logo ... *cowers in fear*

ant

Solus: That Japanase house reminds me of The Matrix scene with the kung fu virtual reality. [Wonders if you could do that in SS2]

solus

I didn't know you were on the dev. team for the game. Your profile doesn't show you were. Thanks for the info. and please do post more. I'm always into finding out everything about this game.
    yep. i was on the team during the last nine months of the development cycle, working primarily on the 'hydroponics' and 'shodan' levels. i also had a hand in the development of the earth and station levels seen during character generation. i constructed most of the architecture, textured and lit them. nate wells and dorian hart later picked them up and polished them before ship, adding the virtual training areas that teach the player how to interact with game objects. i thought the earth areas looked pretty cool and would liked to have seen more of them in the game.

after looking glass closed, a number of us joined a game development studio just north of boston, Mad Doc Software. we have designer steven nadeau, artists liz budington-fleming and karen wolff, and programmers james fleming, kevin wasserman, and tim farrar. furthermore, we just recently grabbed michael ‘msg’ swiderek from irrational games. these people, along with the other folks here make a pretty strong and very talented development team.

Originally posted by ant:
    That Japanese house reminds me of The Matrix scene with the kung fu virtual reality. [Wonders if you could do that in SS2]
    that area was constructed months before the movie was released, and we had long since decided to not go with it … but i remember thinking of it again when i first saw the movie in theaters.

i suppose you could do some of the effects in the shock engine … like the altered jumping gravity, but not much more. i am personally looking forward to the release of volition’s red faction. the engine they have developed looks pretty impressive. with geometry modification, you can actually blow holes in walls and sent debris flying through the air. i don’t expect it would be able to reproduce scenes like the one in the matrix where the columns are being shredded by gunfire … but it will still be very very cool. matt boynton, the team’s lead designer, joined volition after shipping shock2 with irrational games.

<HR>Mad Doc Software

Brad Schoonmaker

Grundbegriff
    Thanks for the links. I never venture into the Thief forum, since I don't have the game(s). I would like to, eventually, so I keep out of the spoilers zone.

solus
    Again, thanks for the info.
    I thought the Earth environment turned out great, too.

Brad S.

shOck2

wow, that;s pretty awsome. thanx 4 all the info! wow. how was it to learn the stuff for the level design at first? I really always wanted to know how all the game creaters adapted to the engine. how was it for u to learn? Great work!

vovka

That's really cool... The Japanese house would have been very interesting.

Does anyone know where I can get that CD check immage?

James Sterrett

Thanks for the BMP file info, guys! 8)

sanji

cool! pre-production images are always sweet, i especially liked the japanese interior and the various early floorplans and jewel case inserts.

AdNauseam

Any chance of getting the Japanese level(half completed or not)?

Anyway it looks really nice.

SS5

Well that definately explains the "Solus" named textures that i have found on the Hydrophonics textures....
    That level is the most loved of my favorites from SS2.

Marcus Delacroix

Solus,
    I would be interested in what you have, unfortunately, I don't get much chance to be on the forum so if you could E-mail me a follow-up We'll se what we can do.
    Thank you,
    Marcus Robert Delacroix
    Originally posted by solus:
    hey folks! i was browsing through some of the files on my system and a came across some old shock2-related images. i thought some of you would be interested in them.

<HR>Mad Doc Software