TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: 3 ideas

3 ideas

great things come in threes!

Number one: Ratpotion
    Thief drinks potion, sneaks past guard as a rat. must be expensive (or only a pickup)and last only a few seconds, of course, the thief is vulnerable to stomping and he cannot loot while a rat.

Number two: 2 way watchers
    If a guard lays a watcher and goes off somewhere else, thief comes along sets it off but noone hears it. useless.
    Instead, the gaurd that owns it gets a message/icon/sound to let HIM know that HIS watcher is calling.

Number three: Keyhole peek
    Thief can get a small glimpse of whats on other side of door by leaning into it.

Well, what thinks u?

Like I said on Mogs, I think the rat potion is a great idea but it could be a bugger to implement because of needing a variable player collision cylinder.

Not sure about the watcher idea, it follows a similar line of my previous thinking "I wish AI guards would send something to the chat area when under attack". If guards are placing a watcher & then not staying with it, then no point placing it there.

The keyhole thing has been suggested before, & although good, would be hard to implement.

Originally posted by The_Dan
    The keyhole thing has been suggested before, & although good, would be hard to implement.
    Nah, we already have it. It's called the "wallhack bug".

Nah, we already have it. It's called the "wallhack bug".
    you're saying you use the wall hack bug

I suppose if the dev team managed to remake the door handles with a mask bit in it that would make an area of it see thru then maybe u could use some kind of mini telescope ability so that you could peek through.....

hmm I like watchers how they are

rat potion-mmmm most guards I know will stomp any rat they see unless a thief is near by-also this would just lead back to EVERYONE rat squishing to make sure it wasnt a thief

Ratpotion! Mad!

Not sure about the rat potion idea. Sounds a little unbalanced. Tho, it WOULD be pretty cool.

About the keyhole idea, it's been brought up before (too lazy to find). I just came up with a possible easy solution for implimentation that hasn't. Have a real keyhole in the door at just the right height that a player squatting could lean forward against so that the viewpoint of the player is as close as it can get to the door (given the collision subroutine). This allows the player to get really close to the keyhole and be able to see through it. Horizontal alignment with the keyhole is easily accomplished by walking into the door, which makes you slowly slide to left or right. This would require map designers to install new doors with keyholes, tho.

What do you all think about that?

Originally posted by Buho
    About the keyhole idea, it's been brought up before (too lazy to find). I just came up with a possible easy solution for implimentation that hasn't. Have a real keyhole in the door at just the right height that a player squatting could lean forward against so that the viewpoint of the player is as close as it can get to the door (given the collision subroutine). This allows the player to get really close to the keyhole and be able to see through it. Horizontal alignment with the keyhole is easily accomplished by walking into the door, which makes you slowly slide to left or right. This would require map designers to install new doors with keyholes, tho.
    I see a potential problem in that since the door faces would now have to consist of multiple polys, as opposed to single rectangular polys, & so it is more likely that the lighting on the doors won't be an even match (voice of experience talking here). Also, if you did this on every door, you would be bumping up the poly/node count on your map by a couple hundred.

Nice solution though, in theory

Originally posted by Buho
    Not sure about the rat potion idea. Sounds a little unbalanced. Tho, it WOULD be pretty cool.
    If you want balance, let the guards buy a pet cat that can't be killed and runs around eating rats
    www.chainsawdeath.co.uk - The Ultimate Thievery Fan Site

So thats what the cute kitten sound fx is for- but tut team would have to make a ball of wool.I suppose rat thieves could buy cat nip