TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: [Solved] How do I make reading a book trigger an enemy to appear?

[Solved] How do I make reading a book trigger an enemy to appear?

I was thinking of making something similar to when you read the book of ash in LOTP so I could spawn a haunt once Garrett reads a book.
    So I was wondering about how to do this so any help would be appreciated.

Also is it possible to make reading a book also trigger a sound to play out afterwards? I was hoping I could do this to so it adds more scariness to it.
    Last edited by SneakyGuy101; 12th Nov 2017 at 17:01.

ZylonBane
    I'm assuming there's some excellent reason why you haven't just loaded LotP in DromEd and looked at how they did it. Miss11.mis, object 327. Took like one minute to find.

They put stdButton on the book, linked to two teleport traps.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    I'm assuming there's some excellent reason why you haven't just loaded LotP in DromEd and looked at how they did it. Miss11.mis, object 327. Took like one minute to find.

They put stdButton on the book, linked to two teleport traps.
    Well actually that's what I tried doing but it looked confusing so I came here to see if there was a proper tutorial for doing it. I didn't expect to get an answer such as yours but thanks for trying to help.

Plus I asked something else totally unrelated to the LOTP zombie book thing which was how to make it trigger a sound after reading a book. I guess finding good help is a rarity these days.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    1. On the book add the TrigWorlFrob script if it is read in world. If you pick it up and then read it from inventory, add TrigInvFrob instead.
    2. Create a RelayTrap and set the Once, NoOff trap control flags.
    3. Create a TeleportTrap and place it where you want to baddie to appear.
    4. Create the baddie himself and stick him in a blueroom somewhere.
    5. Create a SoundTrap and place it near the teleport trap, or behind the player or wherever you want the sound to come from. Or if you want it "in Garrett's head" use a VOTrap instead.
    6. Add a SoundDescription link from the Sound/VOTrap to the schema you want it to play
    7. Add ControlDevice links:
    a. From the book to the RelayTrap
    b. From the RelayTrap to the TeleportTrap and the Sound/VOTrap
    c. From the TeleportTrap to the baddie.

It's always a good idea to say what you've tried, or where you've looked etc, so that people considering a response will be reassured that you've had a go. In this case you said it looked confusing, so what is it that you find confusing? As someone who's at ease with scripting, it seems perfectly simple.

The 'sound' question has a similar answer, but you link the book to a SoundTrap or VOTrap. For info on how to use those, look at the scripts they have, and search for them here.

ZylonBane
    Exactly what R Soul said. The fact that you already looked at it is valuable information that you should have mentioned. The fact that you found it confusing is also valuable information, because holy cow, it's about one of the least-confusing things I've ever seen in an OM. Literally just one extra script (that causes the book to broadcast TurnOn when frobbed) and two links to a couple of teleport traps. They didn't even bother running the links through a once-only router, so every time you frob the book it re-teleports the zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    1. On the book add the TrigWorlFrob script if it is read in world. If you pick it up and then read it from inventory, add TrigInvFrob instead.
    2. Create a RelayTrap and set the Once, NoOff trap control flags.
    3. Create a TeleportTrap and place it where you want to baddie to appear.
    4. Create the baddie himself and stick him in a blueroom somewhere.
    5. Create a SoundTrap and place it near the teleport trap, or behind the player or wherever you want the sound to come from. Or if you want it "in Garrett's head" use a VOTrap instead.
    6. Add a SoundDescription link from the Sound/VOTrap to the schema you want it to play
    7. Add ControlDevice links:
    a. From the book to the RelayTrap
    b. From the RelayTrap to the TeleportTrap and the Sound/VOTrap
    c. From the TeleportTrap to the baddie.
    Thanks Yandros that worked perfectly for both the teleported enemy and the sound
    Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    It's always a good idea to say what you've tried, or where you've looked etc, so that people considering a response will be reassured that you've had a go. In this case you said it looked confusing, so what is it that you find confusing? As someone who's at ease with scripting, it seems perfectly simple.

The 'sound' question has a similar answer, but you link the book to a SoundTrap or VOTrap. For info on how to use those, look at the scripts they have, and search for them here.
    Yeah I guess it wasn't really that hard to do at all really but I get a little lazy sometimes and prefer a quick little tutorial rather than taking the time to figure it out myself