TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: "Flarelike" usage of flash bombs

"Flarelike" usage of flash bombs

Hello.
    So.. what i've been trying to figure out is a way to make flash bombs work like flares. In other words, You would use flash bomb in inventory and then it gives player a "junk" flash bomb item which Garrett can throw.

-Flares have their own script to make them work like that. Using them on flash bombs throws the bomb normally, and gives lit junk flare to Garrett.
    -I tried to find some custom scripts that might have worked, but atleast NVScript and PublicScripts didn't seem to have any.
    -I tried to get it to work with some A/R wizardry, but i knew from the start that it was a long shot doomed to fail...

Any ideas how this could be done? I'm out of ideas myself.

The reason why i'm trying to do this is balance out the gameplay a bit, so that player cannot spamthrow all bombs in a second if there is a hoard of zombies approaching for example. This way the flash bomb usage would requirre bit more planning aswell.
    I guess i can go without this feature, but it might be cool thing to have :P

DromEd Archmage
    Hmmm... Without custom scripts, you'll have to put special fake flashbomb which will consum themselves when frobbing and create with stim some invisible harmless ennemis AI who will give you a flashbomb with the properties of the originals but with inventory type set as junk instead as item.

But such a thing won't be a piece of cake and pretty unstable.

Using custom scripts will make the things better. You'll keep the same special flashbombs that will just consume themselves while triggering the effect. But instead of spawning an IA with complex odd properties, you'll spawn the junk version of the working flashbomb with a contain link from the player. That should do it !

I guess NVscript may have such things with creating object and immediately set a contain link to them.

ZylonBane
    Changing the usage mechanics of base gameplay objects like flashbombs is a terrible, terrible idea. Even if it were utterly trivial to implement, you shouldn't do it, because it makes no damn sense to the player that suddenly this common object works in a different way for no in-world reason.

If you really want to do something like this, you should invent a new tool for players to use instead of the flashbomb, like a "holy light flare" or whatever.

I agree.

If you really want to put a delay between flash bombs, then add the delay after the throw directly, rather than changing standard item functionality.

But, really, isn't the better question why your level has so many flash bombs in it?

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Changing the usage mechanics of base gameplay objects like flashbombs is a terrible, terrible idea. It makes no damn sense to the player that suddenly this common object works in a different way for no in-world reason.
    It can be outright disastrous if done incorrectly, so i agree too. In this case however, there is a "in-world" reason for it to work that way, so with that (and maybe with a little bit of exposition) it can make very much sense to the player. Maybe even enough to make player expect it to work like that from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    If you really want to put a delay between flash bombs, then add the delay after the throw directly, rather than changing standard item functionality.
    If all else fails, i'll probably go with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    But, really, isn't the better question why your level has so many flash bombs in it?
    In this case, not really.

I'm trying the Firemages idea, but no luck yet.

I agree that changing an item you already to expect to work a certain way can be off putting, however make it something else, and it can be more than interesting. What if you had to set up a old timey flash camera, then run away from it and hit a remote in your inventory to trigger a flash. I could mod my camera at the repositry to be flatter to save on polys so I can add a flash array.

The little remote can have a cute antenna and everything. I'm a noob with custom scripts but perhaps you can even have a wind up charging noise before the flash. I would make you that .wav and remote object if you want. Oh and, I wonder if you can make it take a while before using again. Just a unsolicited idea that involves some setup.

DromEd Archmage
    Actually, the idea itself lead to complex things. You'll have to juggle with links and properties.
    Putting flash emitter is complex too, even more complex maybe unless you use custom scripts.

NVItemGiver seems to work pretty well with this consept. Not ideally, but good enough.