TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Film grain effect on camera

Film grain effect on camera

There is possibility to add a grain effect ? I know that some NV scripts you can add like a simulation of filter, no ?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    There is an overlay feature in NewDark where you can put any bitmap over the camera. We used it for the crystal ball effect as well as the invisibility effect in Godbreaker.

Without thinking to much yes.
    You can add a sphere to the player head/camera which uses your animated grain texture.

Also camera overlay is possible but I'm not sure if the texture there can be (.mtl) animated. I think there was just something about a permanent Camera Overlay a few threads below.

I don't remember well the script that you can use for this. I will try .mlt with this to see if it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    There is an overlay feature in NewDark where you can put any bitmap over the camera. We used it for the crystal ball effect as well as the invisibility effect in Godbreaker.
    I haven't see animted texture only static texture, but with mlt there is possibility to emulate this i think.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Ah yes if you're looking for an animated texture to use, I'm not sure if it will be supported.

For my first test, you can have animation, in the rate is fixes on property (render-->camera overlay), and it don't use material file (mlt).

I had success to do the effect. I will later publish a video

For Cam effects you can take a look at my FM Five Nights at Dayport, I am using a bitmap for a screen Effect.

Quote Originally Posted by -Terra- View Post
    For Cam effects you can take a look at my FM Five Nights at Dayport, I am using a bitmap for a screen Effect.
    Thank you i will see that

Thank you Yandros and all i have a first test:

I had just apply an extrem noise to see it after compression. The noise, like an real film or a real numeric movie is easiest to in in dark/black textures.

Let me get this right, you are intentionally working to decrease the sharpness and clarity of the frames shown by NewDark?? Why not just advise your players to change their screen resolution to something lower, like 640x480? That should have the same effect for a lot less work.

No just adding a few grain like movies or photography to simulate rendering noise. The noise appear just on dark textures ans that not affect sharpening and clarity. It's may only reduce the dynamism because the noise appear just in dark tones but this not affect the visibility. The hd textures that used stay shaperned (just little degrated by the filter but not as high iso film or high iso electronic fromage numeric pictures)

The miniature of The video is just very exagerate and unrealistic noise just see it but The compression of youtube unsharp textures and the noise isn't very visible i will post screenshots Maybe it will be it will be better to see

I had improved the noise texture (the alpha mask mainly). So in first the new video.

High noise (255 alpha)

Small noise that i will use for mission (75 alpha)

Less noise filter (0 alpha/no filter)

You can see that the shaperning is smoother with very high noise, but not with a "moderate" level of transparency of noise.

High noise

Small noise that i will use for mission

Less noise filter

The noise effect is the same like photography and cinematography (numeric or film... this is not exactrly same things but in final it have the same effect).