TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who You Going To Call? Not Them I Hope

verbose douchebag
    I didn't get the reference so it went over my head.

Quote Originally Posted by scumble View Post
    Because I know the 1984 film so well, I was very aware of it following the same pattern. For example the opening sequence ghost scare into titles, and a repeat of the giant ghost rampage after another "choose the form" moment, massive ghost cloud emptying into New York. Wherever the movie did this I just thought it wasn't as good, and the improved special effects made no difference. This isn't going to affect people who haven't seen the 1984 film though.
    They could watch Ghostbusters 2 and get the same experience as you describe.

I did like GB2 as a "more of the same, with the same cast and chemistry" experience. I don't think I'd like the new movie simply because it'd be "more of the same, different cast with different chemistry".

Administrator
    Well yes, GB2 was essentially the same film but carried by the cast.

I don't recommend seeing it if you can't drop expectations from the original. I was partly interested to see how they'd approached it, but in the end it's pretty much passed through my head and I've forgotten about it like other moderately entertaining films you'd only bother to watch once.

Level 10,000 achieved

Who you going to call to rez thread?

The new Ghostbusters has finally made it to one of the streaming-services I subscribe to(Viaplay), and I watched it last night.

Kristen Wiig is good in this! Her character is very fleshed out, with a great backstory, and she brings a kind of sincerity unrivaled by any other character in the franchise. The other ghostbusters are so-so, but they do each get their standout-moments. There's cameos from pretty much every surviving main player of the original(except Moranis), but they're pretty meh, except for Aykroyd's character who actually got me laughing out loud. Number of laugh-out-loud moments in the whole movie: somewhere between 5 and 10.

Funniest character is the one played by Ed Begley Jr, though he only gets a few short scenes at the start of the movie. I usually like Chris Hemsworth, but here he is just no good at all, and gets way too much screentime. The story starts off strong, with the building of the mystery and the reveal of Wiig and McCarthy's backstories, but the finale is a big, kinda-boring mess. This movies does manage to actually kinda be scary at times though, which is not something I was expecting. Overall, I liked it! If someone told me "hey, wanna watch the new Ghostbusters again?" I'd probably be up for that.

In related news:

haha wtf henke you made my day
    bustin indeed makes me feel good

also Ray Parker Jnr was a boss rnb singer check his back catlog

possibly one of the best music videos of all time
    seriously watch it

Level 10,000 achieved
    That's pretty great.

I finally watched this. It's pretty shit. I don't blame the cast, they are likeable and did their best. The witless script and workmanlike direction are what killed the franchise dead,

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    I finally watched this. It's pretty shit. I don't blame the cast, they are likeable and did their best. The witless script and workmanlike direction are what killed the franchise dead,
    Why on earth did you have to remind me that this film still exists?

And sometimes just "doing your best"....isn't great.

Administrator
    I'm annoyed that I contributed to the film's gross. I refuse to watch any "remake" of a film that can't be improved again...

True. Drawing that line on when a movie couldn't be improved on though can be tough sometimes. With Ghost Busters though I completely agree and this remake/reboot will fade into the nether and be forgotten just like the Robocop and Total Recall remakes before long.

Administrator
    It crossed my mind to close this thread down so no-one can resurrect it, no pun intended...