TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thorrows - VR Thief

Thorrows - VR Thief

Maybe (probably) the search function is borked, but I'm surprised this isn't being discussed here.

https://www.thorrows.com/
    https://twitter.com/Thorrows

It would be fascinating if this turns out as well as it could. With less emphasis on movement, stealth could be a good fit with VR.

Looks interesting. I wonder how well that locomotion method works. How do you move back and strafe? Also it looks like he's making a wanking gesture when doing it with one hand.

This looks awesome
    The locomotion system is indeed what would need the most work. For slow phases and climbing it looks really great, but I want to see how they deal with it in chasing phases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    Also it looks like he's making a wanking gesture when doing it with one hand.
    At least Masturmotion(tm) hasn't been shown yet to cause motion sickness, so there's that.

The blackjacking could be particularly satisfying.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ooooh, this looks good.

The locomotion does indeed look silly, but mapping movement directly to something you have exact control over, rather than something more abstract like thumbstick-presses, might mean it's a lot less nausea-inducing.

Quote Originally Posted by GlasWolf View Post
    With less emphasis on movement, stealth could be a good fit with VR.
    The only stealth-games I've played in VR are Alien Isolation and the Budget Cuts demo, but there I loved the sneaky-bits. Physically crouching down behind cover and peering over feels incredibly immersive.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    At least Masturmotion(tm) hasn't been shown yet to cause motion sickness, so there's that.
    Be awkward to fork out a pile of money for VR goggles then turn yourself blind though.

Other thoughts:
    • That voiceover... they're not exactly trying to hide the similarities, are they?
    • Why on Earth is there no bow?
    • If I ever get to blackjack an NPC in VR, I may actually die of satisfaction right there and then
    • Don't fancy that slice of toast much

Oooh.. the first VR game that's really piquing my interest!

Sure, but it's one of the few aspects where VRness adds a lot to the project imho. Being able to actually crouch or whack someone with a blackjack is screaming for the immersive powers of VR

I see your point, Abysmal, but in practice I think it's also important for VR developers to test various ideas that are already established outside VR and see whether they also work in the new medium and what sort of tweaks are needed. Two of the VR games I've enjoyed playing a lot are Edge of Nowhere and Chronos. There's practically nothing (except for a couple of nifty ideas) about these that wouldn't work on a regular screen, yet they were more engaging for me *because* they were in VR, and it was good to have some regular-length, 'proper' games to play on my Oculus Rift next to the shorter experiments that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't.

"Heart and soul" can make for amazing games that we still talk about decades later, but there's not only a place but also a need for the games that are pretty good, that are 7/10.