TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lone Echo

Level 10,000 achieved
    Folks, unless you're dying to play this right now, I'd say wait a bit until one or two patches. I'm enjoying the game very much, but there are some annoying bugs, which have been marring the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Fink View Post
    The first third has a taste of non-linear (3 objectives that can be completed in any order, at any pace, as you explore the ship)
    I'm at the end of this section now.

So anyway, the bugs. When I exited the ship for the first time the game kept crashing and displaying a warning that Windows is running out of memory. Odd, as I have 16GB RAM which is the recommended for this game. I increased my pagefile to 8GB and the warning stopped coming but the game still crashed. Turning graphics down to Low let me get through this section though the game still crashed right afterwards, but thankfully by then I'd passed another checkpoint so I was out of the ship. I turned settings up to Medium shortly after and it's been running fine since. I checked online and this is a known issue by the devs, will be fixed in a patch.

I've also had some issues with things just not interacting the way they should. At one point there's a lot of radiation and you have to grab a battery and go recharge it, but no matter how I tried I couldn't grab the battery. Eventually, for seemingly no particular reason, it did work, but by then I'd already used up 2 "reboots" in the process. Thankfully you have an unlimited number of reboots, but it was still very annoying.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Now I'm getting to the sci-fi space mystery part, but I'd honestly be fine if the whole game was just this kinda stuff:

And I'm very glad I got my room-scale tracking set up before playing this. Takes a little while to get used to, but now I wouldn't want to go back to using the thumbstick for turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I've heard four hours being mentioned, but I'm sure some breeze through the game in two hours and others take six or seven. In any case, it's probably relatively short.
    I just finished the game with 8 hours 38 minutes on the clock. I do tend to take my time in games with a lot of little details to look at.
    Last edited by Weasel; 23rd Jul 2017 at 03:18.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Did you use an actual clock to track your gametime? As far as I can tell, Oculus doesn't have any built-in timetracking.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Did you use an actual clock to track your gametime? As far as I can tell, Oculus doesn't have any built-in timetracking.
    If you go to the Load screen in Lone Echo, it shows elapsed time on each save.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ah, ok. I'm currently 5 hours 17 minutes in. Just reunited with Liv. Yay! :D

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finished it. This is, like... an actual... great game. It's almost like Portal-levels of greatness. Not only does it introduce new, novel and fun gameplay, but it also does so in a really great story. I loved the characters. The story was constantly gripping, well-paced, and the ending(contrary to what I'd heard) was actually perfect. And at just under 6 hours it wasn't too short either. There's plenty of side-stuff (collectables) I missed out on in the early sections, and at least one side-objective I didn't do in the later part of the game. Saving those for the replay. This might be my favourite game of the year so far.

Damn you and your infectious enthusiasm, henke!

*goes and orders Lone Echo*

Level 10,000 achieved

Oh btw, if anyone is on the fence about this, play Echo Arena! The movement-tutorial in that will surely leave you wanting a whole campaign with that kind of movement-system.
    Last edited by henke; 24th Jul 2017 at 06:38.

Level 10,000 achieved
    PSA: If you download Echo Arena within 3 months after release you get it for free, after that it'll cost 20 bucks.

First patch is coming out today, only updates to Echo Arena, not Lone Echo. It still doesn't have private matches or spectator mode tho, but those are coming.

Level 10,000 achieved

Replaying Lone Echo

This time I'm gonna try to find all the cubesats. Not entirely sure but I think you have to find them all in the early part of the game, before shit goes down. Haven't found all the ones around Kronos II Exterior and "Extended Mining Operation" yet, but I did find something else while I was poking around...

THE EXTREME DRIFTER! :U

Yeah, I think I'll have to restart this one. That bit where you're assembling bots simply won't work. It's annoying - the game is very, very cool, but it's really not the moment-to-moment gameplay that make it so. I think I'll probably finish one or two other VR games before returning and restarting.

Administrator
    VR gaming is still only "interesting" for me. I can't see myself having the time or money to spare on the setup when it still seems like a luxury or novelty thing.

That flight around in space does look fun though.