TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Just what the world needed: another podcast (coming soon!)

Just what the world needed: another podcast (coming soon!)

I'll be starting a pop culture podcast with a friend this summer/autumn. Like our blog, we don't really have any major ambitions with respect to audience numbers; mainly it's something we'll be doing for ourselves, because we enjoy talking about films, books, TV series, comics and the like. We've done a test episode just to see how it goes, and neither of us was mortified by the result, so we'll soon go ahead with a proper episode 1.

Which is why I was wondering if there's anyone on TTLG who does a podcast or who has done so in the past. What were your experiences? What kind of tips do you have for someone just getting started?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh cool, I like pop culture podcasts, will be sure to give it a listen once it's out.

If you blindly throw a mouse at itunes you're likely to hit three male nerds in the head who were just reminiscing about their media experiences. It's become the male version of a girls evening with selfies. That being said, it always seems to be barrels of fun for the guys making them.

Seems an odd thing to be a twat about, Kolya. Sure, I understand if the people involved obviously think they're God's gift to the internet and to pop culture, but what's so bad about people doing stuff they enjoy?

After a while I grew a bit fed up with podcasts of that type because they're all pretty much the same by similar people. Same topics (gamesbooksfilms), same kind of jokes, same repressed boasting with obscure pop culture references. It's like if I made a podcast myself. Kinda fun but ultimately lacking any new perspective. This has nothing to do with you, I haven't heard your podcast obviously. More with henke's remark that he likes pop culture podcasts of which there must be hundreds or thousands live right now. It's just that the kind of demographic that makes and listens to this kind of podcasts is largely stewing in its own grease imo. Or maybe it's just the ones I heard.
    I once had a podcast (http://in-trockenen-buechern.de) by a young woman who read multiple text books on a topic before each episode and then monologised about them. That was something different. There was effort and weird opinions also unguarded awkwardness and all kind of things I never heard or thought about. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a bunch of guys talking about their first superman comic and their latest raspberry-pi project bores me to death. And yes, I'm probably doing you a terrible injustice by bringing this up here and no, there's nothing wrong with people enjoying themselves. But I was narcissistically talking about my experiences and not much thinking about how this might hit someone who just started a pop culture podcast. But maybe, once you get over the apparent twattery there's some useful advice in there somewhere.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well, with the technology to record, edit and distribute podcasts being so cheap and widely available of course the ratio of disposable-to-great is going to be skewed towards disposable. Not sure why that needs pointing out. There's still lots of great pop culture podcasts out there though, by people who are well-read, come at the material from a unique angle, or are just plain hilarious to listen to. NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour and Idle Weekend (by game journos Danielle Riendeau and Rob Zacny) are my fave "general pop culture" podcasts. I also listen to a pile of gaming and movie podcasts. I'm nearing the end of my second listening of Adam Scott and Scott Aukerman's U2 podcast "U Talkin U2 To Me", and as soon as I'm done typing this I will dive into the Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast, having just caught up on the latest episodes of the TV show.

Anyway, this is just to say, I sincerely love pop culture podcasts, and from my co-op sessions with Thirith I know he's a well-spoken gent with a voice as smooth as butter, and I've enjoyed what I've read of his blog. I think he has it in him to produce a genuinely good podcast, and I look forward to hearing it.

Kolya, I even agree with you to some extent. I don't think our podcast will be original, definitely not in its concept, and there are certainly tons of mediocre to bad podcasts out there, just as there are tons of mediocre to bad blogs. You may have noted the irony in the thread title: I don't really think the world's been waiting for our thoughts on this film or that TV series.

Having said that, it's kinda dickish to be snidely judgmental and dismissive when I say from the beginning that we're not looking for huge audience numbers, and there's nothing to listen to yet. I don't much care whether you'll ever listen to the podcast; in fact, it's probably better if you don't, because chances are you will be bored. And that's fine. I think it's perfectly okay to do something because you enjoy doing it, regardless of whether it's original or not. If I started bothering people with it, whether they're interested or not, then you'd be right to whack me over the head with a rolled-up newspaper. Until then, you come across as a teenaged snob who's proud of being into obscure shit, because it says so much about him.

@henke: Thanks for the flattery! I'll make sure to accidentally shoot you least of all tomorrow.

I've never produced a podcast myself, but there are a few things that come to mind. A lot of quality podcasts seem to spend some effort on editing, so you might at least want to do some basic things like balancing the audio and cutting out dead air, coughs, background noise, people talking over each other, and things unrelated to the podcast. Of course, it goes without saying that you want each host's audio in a separate file for that. Also, might be a good idea to have show notes with time stamps, so that people can get an idea what the episode is about and skip things they are not interested in.

Sorry if these seem really obvious, but you did say you're just starting out.

Thanks - most of those I already knew about, but they're good, important tips. I'm lucky in that a while ago I was asked to do a guest spot on someone's podcast, which gave me an idea of the behind-the-scenes work involved, in particular with respect to using Skype in combination with Audacity to record two separate sound tracks. It's also where I realised that I enjoy the format of a more structured conversation, and the challenge of giving it that structure while still making it feel relatively organic.

I must concur with Henke on this, Thirith and his smooth dulcet tones are a pleasure to listen to in our Arma sessions.

Kolya you seem quite bitter and sardonic of late, something going on?

I'm just envious because I don't have the time for personal projects right now, don't mind me.

Ok, but I am glad you are posting more in recent times even so