TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 491419242526272829

Thread: There's an OCULUS RIFT on my FACE :D

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    I suck at throwing normally (always end up throwing the thing way too high), so I've instead found straight arm thrusts from the chest work a lot better.
    Heh, yeah everyone has difficulty throwing in Superhot. The slow-mo does weird thing to physics. As you've figured out, throwing things more like a dart works better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    What would you guys recommend for demoing a Rift to someone who's very violence averse and not a gamer? So far I'm considering the Oculus Touch robot demo, Google Earth, and To The Top (though this might be too disorienting).
    Yeah the Oculus tutorial+First Contact(robot demo) is a good starting point. Valve's The Lab is also a good starting point, since it's low-stress and mechanically simple. Google Earth might actually be a bit tricky for a new user, since it has a lot of control-options.

If you're looking for a more communal VR experience when you've got friends over, I recommend Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes. Picked it up for a fiver in the last sale and had much fun playing it with my sister and her boyfriend. Basically, the person in the VR headset is in a room with a timebomb that's ticking down to zero, the other players have the Bomb Defusal Manual open(on the computer screen, or on an tablet) and they have to talk the person in the headset through the process of stopping the bomb. Good times ensue.

Just finished Arkham VR, and while it's totally a shallow, gimmicky collection of minigames and the most basic mechanisms, it's still very, very cool in its shallowness. It's nifty to inhabit the same space as the characters in the Arkham series of games, and it is pretty disconcerting to be face to face with some of the fan favourites. The game acts as a sort of prequel to Arkham Knight, so its plot and especially its conclusion would probably amount to a big, fat "Huh?!" moment to anyone who hasn't played AK, though.

It made me realise, though, that for some games it would be good to have a third sensor, even if it's not always hooked up, so I'm now thinking about how this would be doable. Are there some sort of restrictions with respect to what kind of USB extension cable would work?

On a different note, I downloaded and checked out the Song of the Sea experience. In terms of interactivity, it's not all that well thought through IMO, but it captures the aesthetics of the film very well, and I enjoy VR putting you inside worlds that immerse you in a non-realistic wold. As it's free, it's worth checking out for anyone who's also interested in that aspect of VR. It seems to work best with room scale, though.

Level 10,000 achieved
    When you order the 3rd sensor they send along a 5m USB cable with it. It's a "USB 2.0 Active Extension/Repeater Cable", to be precise.

Ooh, an Oculus update that should be out now allows for parties and launching Steam games from Oculus.

Thing What Kicks
    Ooooooooo.
    That's pretty damn cool.

Third sensor ordered - for those relatively rare times when I need to turn around and shoot stuff behind my back. Arkham Knight pushed me in that direction; there were quite a few moments when the game went a bit glitchy after I turned my back to the two sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Third sensor ordered - for those relatively rare times when I need to turn around and shoot stuff behind my back. Arkham Knight pushed me in that direction; there were quite a few moments when the game went a bit glitchy after I turned my back to the two sensors.
    No luck with the 2 sensor diagonal setup?

Haven't tried it, but I think a sensor behind me wouldn't work well as the second main sensor; the position isn't ideal. As a complementary sensor, though, I can see it working.

I gave House of the Dying Sun a quick spin last night, and I absolutely love the VR implementation. The opening menu has a space battle behind it that's very reminiscent of Homeworld, and I spent a good minute admiring it.
    There's a dedicated viewpoint-reset button (R3/right stick), and the modeling of the ship around you is fantastic. Your objectives and their status are on the rightmost side of your cockpit window, and you've got a clear view of the front of your ship, with its guns. Reloading vents some gas from the gun. The controls take some getting used to, and the missions so far have consisted of flying to some small ships and machine gunning them with the very forgiving lock-on system, then skipping out before the big guys arrive. They're probably just easing the player in, so I can't wait for the missions with a bit more complexity.

Okay sorry for the double post but REZ JUST CAME OUT ON STEAM! Holy shit, I was just lamenting its PSVR exclusivity last week.

Fingers crossed that Psychonauts VR's days as a PSVR exclusive are also numbered.

Was planning on playing more House of the Dying Sun, but then Rez Infinite dropped in front of my magpie-like gaze like a shiny bauble. Playing in VR (with motion controller) makes it almost insultingly easy, as I got 100% across the board on the first go at the first two levels (haven't played the game in at least 5 years). I assume mouse control would yield similar results. You also don't spend so much time looking around because the next enemy is going to pop up dead center at the front within 2 seconds anyway. The default control type really weirds me out - the aim is controlled by either your head movement or motion controller movement, whatever moves at that time. Your field of view is also a boundary for the aim, so you drag it with you when you turn your head. This creates a disconnect between the direction your hand is pointing, and the direction it's pointing ingame. Best switch to motion controller only aiming (Type 2, I think).
    Rez's classic levels are apparently capped at 60 fps, and in VR this translates to a slightly less smooth feel than most VR games' 90 fps. I still think it's worth playing this way if you own a VR headset though. Also you can really beef up the visual settings without worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Fingers crossed that Psychonauts VR's days as a PSVR exclusive are also numbered.
    Huh, I didn't know that existed, or that there's a Psychonauts 2 coming. Sounds interesting enough.

I also just tried out Rez, and while there's definitely not much of a game there, or at least little in the way of challenge, it *is* fascinating: it's basically like being inside Tron, though a more dancefloory Tron. As such, it's an immensely cool experience, but it's not something I'll fire up all that much - though I may demo it to the glowstick brigade among my friends. All... one or two of them?

Also, Lone Echo is as immensely well done in terms of zero-G locomotion as people say. The way your hands react to the environment absolutely sells the fiction that you're an android out in space. It's also always great to have characters in VR being there in front of you, looking and talking straight at you. It just feels so different from the same thing if you're looking at a regular screen. Definitely looking forward to playing more of this.

Quick P.S. on my first steps in Lone Echo: as a default, you can only turn around, but you can't pitch or yaw. I switched those back on, and it ended up with a highly disorienting situation where I thought I was standing up straight but I must've been leaning forward quite a bit, because some parts of the spaceship are at an angle, so by trying to stand up straight in the game I pitched forward quite a bit in reality - which I only noticed when the blue grid of the Guardian system indicated that I was close to a wall. I would've thought that my body has a fairly strong sense of whether it's upright or not, but obviously this is easily overridden by visuals that indicate otherwise.

Hah, yeah. Ever been in a "tilted house"? They have them at a lot of older amusement parks. Really, really disorienting, and it's not even VR.

Thing What Kicks
    Okay, Lone Echo is pretty damn impressive. Curious as to how you other guys have been playing it. I started standing, then thought I'd try sitting, but found that too restrictive, so went back to standing.
    I'm amazed that zipping around in zero gravity hasn't made me nauseous. Makes me think the 3DMark guys should revamp Shattered Horizon for VR.
    Quite a workout too!
    I think the sheer amount of things to scan and poke is going to mean it'll take me quite a while to complete. Here's to hoping other Oculus Studios titles maintain the same degree of quality.

I generally play all first-person VR games while standing, so that's what I also do with Lone Echo. I definitely like its movement, although I wish they'd add the ability to turn when holding on to something with both hands. Then again, I could imagine they tried to implement that but didn't get it to work they way they wanted.

Quick update: sensor no. 3 has arrived. However, I'd not considered that while I can put it on the wardrobe at my back, i cannot tip it downwards enough so that it actually points at my play area. I've now ordered a camera mount that should allow me to tip the sensor as far as I like once I've attached the mount to the top of the wardrobe.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 491419242526272829