TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 152 of 153 FirstFirst ... 52102107112117122127132137142147148149150151152153 LastLast
Results 3,776 to 3,800 of 3805

Thread: What have you watched lately?

A couple:

* Candyman - Only watch the first one. First one is excellent. The rest are complete crap.
    * Creep - Excellent found footage style horror movie.
    * Frozen (2010) - Not the Disney one. This one is horror territory.
    * Night the Creeps - It's Miller time.
    * Oculus - Great movie. Great sense of dread. The ending is excellent.
    * The Return of the Living Dead - One of my favorite zombie horror flicks of all time.
    * Scarecrows - Good as a watch once. Interesting concept.
    * The Bay (2012) - Another found footage style one. Think bay side community. Mutated killer fish in the water. Chaos ensues. Told from multiple perspectives as you see footage from various townsfolk.
    * VHS 1 & 2 - Fantastic horror movie collections. I HIGHLY recommend these movies. Both are great viewing if you like horror stuff.

The Night Flier, a somewhat flawed, but IMO underrated Stephen King adaptation.

Chakat sex pillow
    I don't know about lesser known, but I'm always going to hold up The Descent and El Orfanato as relatively recent masterclasses in horror-inflected action and writing, respectively.

Also, since you're most probably a Carpenter fan, Tocks, give It Follows a run. It's not balls-out fantastic, but it is very good. It even has a great poster.

Chakat sex pillow
    Also, saw Dunkirk last weekend. Fairly decent! It has some of Nolan's trademark sterility, but knows where its strengths lie: setups and resolutions, with a fair amount of tense action in the journey from point A to point B. It also does something very clever in making the enemy faceless; you almost never see a Nazi soldier on screen, always their planes or explosions or gunfire, but never the person behind the threat, which makes them a dark, oppressive cloud hanging over the entire movie. Overall, skillfully done.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Also, since you're most probably a Carpenter fan, Tocks, give It Follows a run. It's not balls-out fantastic, but it is very good. It even has a great poster.
    I'm glad someone finally mentioned this.

Very much enjoyed the craftsmanship of the first 1 1/2 hours of Dunkirk, but I'm not a big fan of the last half hour. It's not bad, but its particular brand of stiff upper lip Brit sentimentality is one that I've seen often enough. It made Dunkirk's ending feel generic to me.

Chakat sex pillow
    That's fair. I only half remembered the ending until you mentioned it, if I'm being honest. Maybe that's what actually happened for the troops back then, but it's framed in a manner that comes off as ever so slightly sickly in its sentiment, yes.

The part that I liked about Dunkirk was that it was telling a big story through fragmented small stories. I like the concept of that, and it was very well executed.

As for the sentimental ending, which in retrospect is kind of the inevitable cap of taking the small story approach, I noticed that too. It was just another reminder that this was still a Hollywood movie and not an indie. I was expecting some of that and was more happy that we got some of the real artistry that we got. WWII was a propagandized Hollywood kind of war though too.

And the other thing I didn't really notice, but I saw other articles pointing out later, was that it left out all the soldiers from across the empire. That gave the impression the entire beach was filled with people from small hamlets in England just across the way and happy to go home (edit: or French desperate be rescued by their old neighbors with their long love-hate history), which also played into the meaning of the ending. That was one way where trying to keep it small took something away from its global scope and the fact that this was, after all, one of the opening salvos of a world war.

That said, I did like that it largely left out the Nazis; they were always just this abstract, everpresent, and looming threat just over the horizon, which added a lot to the atmosphere of total fear, chaos, uncertainty, and isolation.
    Last edited by demagogue; 11th Aug 2017 at 06:26.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just watched Boyka: Undisputed. The 4th film in the Undisputed series which, if you're not familiar, follows a quite unconventional path. The first Undisputed movie, directed by Walter Hill and starring Wesley Snipes, came out in 2002 to little fanfare. A straight-to-DVD sequel came out 4 years later, this time with Michael Jai White taking over the lead role as a fighter who gets sent to Russian prison where he has to fight Russian badass Yuri Boyka, played by Scott Adkins. Everyone loved the Boyka character, to the extent that when Undisputed 3 came out, Boyka was the main character. And now here's part 4, with Boyka edging out not just the original main character, but even the original title of the series! What's even more surprising about the trajectory of this series, is that as the budgets have gone down, the imdb scores and critics reviews have gone up. This is the best entry so far, with a lean plot, tight pacing and great fight scenes. The stakes keep getting raised throughout the movie, until it all boils over in a finale full of knockouts, roundhouse kicks and gunshots. Highly recommended!

Been getting into Dark Matter lately. Starts as a bit of hokey Firefly ripoff, but quickly grows into it's own thing. Solid character drama with lots of backstory and constant twists.

It occurred to me I wrote Dark Water and not Dark Waters when I was talking about great atmosphere in a movie. It's the 1993 movie Dark Waters that I meant. The one about the strange nuns on a Island. For all I know Dark Water is also good but few movies are in a league with Dark Waters.

I have meant to see The Descent for a while now and haven't. I guess I'm afraid it will follow the standard horror formula these days which I'm not very fond of. I really do not want to ever see another person snatched backward into darkness in lieu of plot. But I've heard too many mention it for it not to have something going for it. Still, a lot of folks like the picked off one by one as per Halloween formula and it isn't my favorite sort. I know it is sacrilege to not drool over Halloween but there it is.

It follows I have meant to see as well but nobody could keep their mouth shut about it and I know some of the plot. Thankfully not the ending. Great poster. It harkens back to the age where artwork mattered in a theater lobby.

Level 10,000 achieved
    You're not missing much with The Descent. I like the plot idea, and I liked seeing the few scenes that Tomb Raider 2013 ripped off from it, but beyond that it's kind of a drag. If you find it free on a streaming service go ahead and watch, otherwise skip it.

It Follows is great though, one of the best horror movies I've seen recently, and well worth watching even if you've heard some plot points.

Chakat sex pillow
    I should qualify The Descent with the recommendation that it's better watched if you're doing it with 5.1 audio. It's one of the few horror movies that utilise the back channels decently in places. But if you're tired of the normal horror situation of a crowd of people being whittled down, yeah, it's not going to change that formula up much. It just does it really well.

If you want something different, I'd push El Orfanato (The Orphanage) to the fore. It's setup like a horror movie, but it's not horror, really. It's something more affecting than that.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 14th Aug 2017 at 01:38.

And anyone who enjoys El Orfanato needs to check out The Devil's Backbone, if they haven't already done so. Again, it's not horror, even if it uses the look and feel of the genre, and IMO it's Del Toro's best.

Chakat sex pillow
    Oh, I'd definitely recommend both The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth for anyone who likes that sort of character-led dark storytelling.

S03E14 of Twin Peaks watched. They finally linked in the movie. David Bowie and all. Stuff that made zero sense to me when watching that, makes perfect sense now. And that movie came out in 1992. Damn. That is just meta. That Lynch had this all mapped out back then. I'm in awe.

And this was the second time round where I actually knew of one of the singers / groups (Lissie). So much that still makes no sense to me at all, but I like that for every question answered 2-3 new ones get raised. And it's all coming together bit by bit. Going to be sooooooo much left unanswered when the show finishes I'm thinkin.

This is my favorite show for the year. Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and Doctor Who were/are excellent all round for 2017, but Twin Peaks for me is something else. Has a shine all unique of it's own.

If you haven't seen Moana or The Incredible Jessica James, you're missing out. Both are excellent.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, I rewatched the Lord of the Rings trilogy over the past few weeks. Considering the first time I saw it was when I was in college, it's aged quite well. There's still scenes that weren't in the books where you can see the joins aren't exactly seamless - bit more unnecessary action/comedy and a lot more unnecessary romance - but knowing that you can safely ignore those, it's a well-made, epic spectacle.

I doubt the big budget A Song of Ice and Fire adaptation we've been enjoying for the past bunch of years would have happened if he hadn't executed LotR so well that it blew the gates open on release. Too bad about The Hobbit, though.

Moderator and Priest
    Ducktales! A-WOo-Ooh!

My only issue with the new Duck Tales is the animation style. In my opinion it's a bit of a downgrade over the original style. Looks less colorful, washed out.

Moderator and Priest
    I kinda like it. Looks more comic bookish to me.

That's just me when looking at. Beyond that, the rest looks fine.

Now this week I watched episodes 5 & 6 (6 thanks to HBO leak) of Game of Thrones season 7. Episode 6 has easily one of the best fighting scenes of the season. All round a great episode. 5 has it's moments as well. Now I have to wait a week and a bit for the season finale. Grrr.

Moderator and Priest
    ...wait. Episode 6 leaked? Goddamnit, Icemann. Why you gotta tempt me like this?

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm just checking in to say I went to the first page of this thread and read it for ten minutes because it's throwback Thursday or whatever you want. The only notable thing apart from the fact that I have apparently been talking about Farscape and The Orphanage since 2009 is that my opinions haven't moved an inch since then. Now that's what I call progress!

Also, I'm still in love with the tags all of us rammed in. You can even see the poem we made if you squint hard enough.

Chakat sex pillow
    So I watched The Forbidden Room, or at least the first half hour of it. It's an oddball headfuck excursion, sorta like if you found a misplaced '30s film reel that seems to have been directed by David Lynch (it's not, but the director, Guy Maddin, is apparently famous for making trippy experiences). There's a hyperactive vitality to its lack of giving a fuck about narrative, cohesion, or its audience, but at the same time the style annoys the piss out of me. Stuff bleeds into frame and disappears at random, every character gets an introductory show case, framed text appears like in silent films despite being unnecessary, and there's an unreasonable love of handheld shots with the barest of steadicam in the mix.

Despite this, I feel the need to keep watching because in half an hour alone it's featured an old man explaining the intricacies of taking a bath, desperate submariners eating pancakes to increase their limited oxygen supply, a grizzled lumberjack in training attempting to rescue a kidnapped girl from a wolf tribe, a musical interlude about a man fatally attracted to rear ends sung by someone whose name and face have been scratched/glitched out of the film, and a squid thief fleeing from a volcanic cavern into a jungle. I don't know if it's funny, puerile, smart, or all of that at once.

Page 152 of 153 FirstFirst ... 52102107112117122127132137142147148149150151152153 LastLast