TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Prey (2017) - Arkane Austin

The enemies also aren't very good at chasing you in some scenarios. In the elevator situation you mentioned (which I got into last night), I just jumped over the railing onto the glass floor thing and hid where they couldn't reach me. Then I snuck over to my office. When it was time to return to the Arboretum, I had to just book it and close the door, but it worked.

I also use the Gloo gun as essentially my default weapon, and spray basic mimics and phantoms a bit before even attempting to do damage. Makes the mimics way more managable, and the standard phantoms die quickly with a few pistol shots in that state.

Now granted, you can't Gloo all enemies, but for those that I can't, I have the psionic blast which often knocks them down. Or use grenades. Or run and hide.

I can understand if the game doesn't click though. I was THIS close to requesting a Steam refund just prior to the two hour mark, but decided to stick with it. Now I'm more used to the idea that the enemies are rather threatening, but with sufficient approaches to handle them.

PS: The stun gun's fire button needs to be held for a bit to charge; it confused me at first too.
    Last edited by Zerker; 7th Aug 2017 at 10:00.

I think there are a lot of creative ways of approaching problems in Prey, but being a sissy I just tended to go with the stun gun for basically everything. Except for the areas where there are large spaces, where I tended to keep my distance and use that uh...gun that makes things explode. During the mid-game before I was overpowered (with human mods, mind) I basically fought everything but the robot-dudes by using the pistol to crit/lure them around a corner while I charged up the stun gun which I then hit them with before taking them out with the shotgun.

I definitely found a different way into the lobby the first time I arrived in the elevator and there was massive brawling going on outside. The way every area of the station loops back into itself there's really no reason to ever stumble into an ambush.

I liked to create zones of death. As in, spots where I'd place all the turrets on the map I could find to create a "safe" zone.

This worked for a good while, AS LONG as I placed the turrets in spots where enemies did not regularly travel. Otherwise I'd come back in an hour or so and find them all destroyed, which considering the spare parts investment for fixing, hacking and fortifying 5+ turrets is a fair bit.

After a few times of that happening I've stopped setting up those. But was fun for a while. Worked great for luring enemies into. Would take down most enemies in seconds. The electric and fire ones though, no. I learned to not lure those ones back. Certainly not the Nightmare's either.

Out of the 3 I setup early on, only 1 of my death trap zones is still standing.

I imagine the designers are happy to see that while one person (Gryz) hated the stun gun and almost never used it, another (Jason) leaned on it as his bread and butter weapon. Prey really is a game about playing the way you want. Luring enemies around the corner while you charged the gun... simple, yet unique enough I never thought of doing that. I have to admit I leaned more towards Gryz with the stun gun.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I liked to create zones of death. As in, spots where I'd place all the turrets on the map I could find to create a "safe" zone.
    That's great. Did you ever try to keep them repaired or did you not have enough resources to do that?

How far along are you? What kind of build are you using? If you liked using turrets to do your dirty work, you might like using a few of the typhon abilities to build a diverse little army of different things to do your fighting for you. For people who've played maybe passed the halfway point or so: Combining machine mind (for turrets and operators), mindjack (for humans), and phantom genesis (for creating friendly phantoms from corpses) lets you build an army of turrets, operators, a human and a phantom to do all the fighting for you. I've always enjoyed when single player games allow you to pit enemies against each other, and Prey does this as well and as any game I've ever played (... I think).

Speaking of builds... what builds did you guys use? My first time through, I played through simultaneously with two builds, one who strictly used human abilities, and one who strictly used typhon abilities. It was fun, and I enjoyed employing different solutions in each of the playthroughs, but I still wonder if I should have done that for later playthroughs. There were multiple occasions I wished I could have combined human and typhon abilites.

While I enjoyed being forced to creatively use the typhon abilities, the typhon build was a quite a bit tougher to use through most of the game. No hacking, repairing or lifting skills made exploration more difficult. No inventory enhancements became tedious as I could barely carry anything late in the game. And until the late game, combat was quite a bit tougher as I couldn't increase health, psi or stamina and I couldn't upgraded weapons beyond the first basic upgrade.

It did, however, encourage me to try different combinations of abilities I don't think I would have tried had my basic human combat abilities been so limited. In the late game, using typhon abilities to create different traps and build small armies of friendly AIs was pretty fun. Even basic combinations were surprising fun, like casting mimic on a small item, then casting Kinetic Blast or Lift Field on my mimicked self to launch myself up, over and passed a room full of AI. Sometimes I found myself giggling at my ridiculous solutions and the fact that the game actually let me pull off what seemed like a silly idea.

For me the build I've been going for is a stealthy mostly human abilities. Early on I was going for stealth and wrench abilities, and then moved onto weapon modification and damage bonus's. Got maxed inventory and all slots of open for attachments. I have a couple of Typhon abilities. Though more the passive stuff like health regen, resistance bonus's vs various elements. About the only proper Typhon ability I've used was Mimic and even that I used only once ever as there was this one room I could not figure out any other way into beyond using that.

As to where I am in the game - I managed to break out of Deep Storage after being locked in there by the brother, and am currently in Crew Quarters. I've mostly been exploring around when I can, following the optional objectives and only doing the main stuff when I have no other choice. A game like this one is one that is best not rushed through.

God, its so fucking good. Probably my goty 2017 so far.
    Runs butter smooth (screw idtech 5!) and has a very decent filesize-to-content ratio (only about 18GB on the drive). The technical opposite of Dishonored 2 (
    It feels like it was a designed as a PC game through and through.

I've been bruteforcing it with a shotgun and throwing every random item (why can't more games follow the HL2 style of being able to pick up all the props)
    tbh, it feels more like the original Deus Ex wearing the skin of System Shock 2 than System Shock 2, as in the game actually gives you true freedom of approach and encourages you to exploit instead of telling you to fuck off if you invested your shit wrong...

imo, the biggest flaw is the lack of total mod support (wish Arkane's games had mods ).

I wouldn't call it the best game of 2017 (Breath of the Wild takes that crown for me), but it's certainly an excellent game.

Ok so I beat the game. Got the hidden room ending and I'm feeling quite lost after it all. I opted to use the nullwave transmitter to destroy all of the Typhon and keep the ship intact, thus also keeping all the research done. The brother seemed sincere, and I didn't trust the robots issuing their view on what I should do, plus Morgan had had so many rewinds of his neuromods with each resulting in a different Morgan that I didn't trust what the recordings from him said. But then it's revealed that humanity lost the war to the Typhon ages ago, which makes Morgan a what? construct? Sole survivor of the human race? I'm totally lost. Wasn't there other human colonies elsewhere? Hmm. So the whole game was just a simulation to find a subject to bridge the gap between Typhon and human. O.......k. Why?

An interesting ending, though I think the game as a whole would have been better without it, and for it all to just end once you picked the path to go and had the game leave things open as to what happened next

Now I can finally go back to page 1 of this thread and start reading all the spoilers .

Does anybody have experience what limited video ram manifests itself in on this? This is the first ever time I bought a game whilst my PC didn't fully meet the system requirements: My video card has only 1 GB of VRAM. Whilst the frame rates are smooth on 720pish on low, even medium texture detail, there seems to be a more or less permanent hard disk access going on when walking/running around, curiously though without any much frame drops or anything. I was always under the impression prior that a lack of VRAM would manifest itself in crashes or textures loading up late or not at all in general. Upon searching, some argue this was down to a degree to the nature of the CryEngine, as textures etc. would be constantly streamed even with more memory available. Is this inherently to Prey/the engine or should I better finally upgrade the card so that I can finally play Dishonored 2 et all too and have less on a burden on the HDD?

Game looks promising so far, though feeling eerily familiar if you've played all the Shock games prior down to almost every single starting trope.
    Last edited by samIamsad; 12th Aug 2017 at 07:49.

AFAIK, constant HDD access is more a sign of not enough system RAM, not VRAM. Due to huge difference between RAM and VRAM clock speed, you'd experience substantial game slowdown if you'd run out of GPU RAM. That said, 1 GB is pretty low these days. Getting a 4 or 6 GB card (e.g. if you plan to move to 1440p later) is a good idea.

The calibration button. It got me.

I so want to play this, and after 4 weeks Asus still won't give me my stupid number to send it for repairs.
    They're the worst. I just want to plaaay thiiis gaaame. =V

I just wanted to return to this after a long break, only to discover that the subsequent patches messed up x360 controller support. The control scheme is messed up, you can't pick up or interact with things, and there are names displayed instead of button icons. Awesome :/

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    AFAIK, constant HDD access is more a sign of not enough system RAM, not VRAM. Due to huge difference between RAM and VRAM clock speed, you'd experience substantial game slowdown if you'd run out of GPU RAM. That said, 1 GB is pretty low these days. Getting a 4 or 6 GB card (e.g. if you plan to move to 1440p later) is a good idea.
    Cheers, may be a good idea as now in the lobby I have found that there are some occasional stutterings caused when the HDD starts spinning during more intense battles. It's weird though. MSI Afterburner shows the RAM usage never moves beyond 3GB at the moment (the game itself mostly taking up 1.5-1.8 give or take). However, the VRAM usage rises immediately to hit the 1000MB limit. Mind I don't complain about it, given that 1 GB cards are below the specs, was happy to give it a try which I wouldn't have done with any other game. In the meantime I edited the game's game.cfg which lets you manually fiddle a bit. I went into fully-on Ultima Underworld mode and set it to 320x200 pixels -- pretty interesting seeing the 3d complexity of a 2017 game filtered through the lenses of System Shocky VGA resolutions. Still with everything set to low, even post processing manually turned off and Shader effects, the limits are breached readily. Whilst the frame rates are nice, in terms of video memory this looks quite a resource hog (which is relative, as 2 GB even on budget cards are the norm these days).

I have two video cards, the other is a much slower HD 6670 1GB. I used to play Alien:Isolation on this, native resolution. Different tech and all, but in comparison that's pretty steep considering how washed out and blurry the textures look on this on medium to low. Purely visually, the game has a bit of "washed out" look in general with limited contrast. Which is an artistic decision highlighting the "flatness" of optionally lower resolution textures, something that Dishonored got easier away with due to going the exact opposite route (this still is completely gorgeous). Dark areas oft aren't really much dark and colors don't much shine. This is even more pronounced if you turn off the post processing manually in the game.cfg. Maybe going to postpone this until the upgrade. Guess more VRAM would solve it pretty quickly. In the meantime, I agree, this plays like the Bioshock as it was initially announced, so everybody who didn't buy yet, don't complain when it will be the last of its kind in decades. Try this.
    Last edited by samIamsad; 13th Aug 2017 at 10:04.

Chakat sex pillow
    A:I used a bespoke, well-optimised engine that was extremely good at what it did, plus its relatively closed environments let it do more with less.

Prey's been developed on CryEngine, which can quite resource intensive if it needs to be (see: Ryse, Crysis 3) and has larger environments with possibly much larger textures and texture variety. It's not a 1:1 comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    A:I used a bespoke, well-optimised engine that was extremely good at what it did, plus its relatively closed environments let it do more with less.
    Most definitely! I'm not tech-savvy, but looking around the CryEngine also works by streaming textures from the hDD (and BluRay on PS), which means the VRAM and system RAM (only 3 gigs used in full with the system and applications running) usage may not tell the entire story. There is a command, r_TexturesStreaming, which is supposed to toggle that on and off, which would cache textures in the system RAm rather than loading them up from the HDD, but it doesn't seem to do anything in Prey. Looking for prey+stuttering brings up a few complaints by users with higher end systems too,and a few supposedly workarounds. The first time it negatively impacted me is in the Lobby's Trauma Center area, where
    spoiler:
    you're attacked by group of two. When they start casting and the fire effects are triggered
    , it always assesses the HDD and causes a few of that stuttering not noticed much during exploration, even though the HDD is quite regularly accessed. Maybe even upgrading the GPU wouldn't do all of that away, and rather getting an SSD/ faster HDD would be required likewise.

Additionally, when I switch to high textures, not much changes in that regard, except that those textures visibly don't fit into the GPU's RAM, and are just displayed as a blurry, indistinguishable mess, which is more in line with what I'd think low VRAM to settle to. Outside of the Crysis 1 demo, this is the first ever CryEngine game I've played AFAIK, so limited experience here though. As said, the system RAM isn't anywhere near full according to Afterburner. If the Engine inherently streams textures from the HDD, a more or less permanent access as such would be expected.
    Last edited by samIamsad; 13th Aug 2017 at 11:58.

Chakat sex pillow
    That HDD access combining with stuttering does sound like swap file churn. Like Judith says, it's usually a sign that you need more system RAM to combat that.

It could also be the system swapping textures since there's not enough VRAM.

Chakat sex pillow
    Maybe, but it'd do that by committing to main memory first instead of the HDD, because any available RAM is faster than physical media. HDD churn is usually accounted for by games that stream textures, so if it's causing bad stutters and pauses during gameplay, that's a good sign there's swap file thrashing going on.

Cheers guys, much appreciated! I either have to upgrade or make a new build anyhow at some point -- it's Sandy Bridge based from 2011/2012 largely at its core. You can probably tell that I didn't engage in much AAA 3d gaming these days. When trying to narrow it down -- if anybody can take anything from this, this shows both:

- HD access when sprinting around the lobby area (textures on low, 320x200 oldschool Ultima Underworld resolution :P) -- curiously, when shutting the game down, the svchost.exe kicks in heavily here for a minute or two until activity dies down again
    - RAM usage, never goes much further up from my experience

I think LA:Noire uses heavy texture streaming as well, the HDD was pretty much constantly in some use on that one for me too when driving around. Much older game naturally, and no occasioanally micro stutters as such. It's partly what is making me suspicious, maybe the HDD isn't fast enough too, so a completely new build may be a better option. At the time of release, various people seemed to experience such or similar on much better hardware, I also read a couple posts on Steam that during combat they experienced such, such when Physics got involved, e.g. glass breaking:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/48049...0128973311323/
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/48049...5115075657063/
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/48049...5115068088350/
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/48049...7063/?l=german
    Last edited by samIamsad; 14th Aug 2017 at 06:25.

Chakat sex pillow
    All right, that's definitely part of your problem right there. See that bit that says Free RAM: 0?* You've got most of your RAM committed to the game, the rest to Windows and its standby cache. This means that for programs that go over the memory budget (like Prey), the swap file will be used to compensate, and that's going to literally grind things to a halt depending on how much data is being cached. I assume that's Win7? If it is, Win7 tends to need about half a gig to one and a half gigs depending on whether you're on a 32- or 64-bit install.

Prey's minimum requirements are 8 GB of RAM, and it's recommended to have 16 (which is a bit overkill, to be fair). Your system is definitely under the requirements for it, unfortunately.

*This is usually not a problem if you've got enough 'available' memory, but I strongly doubt it's sufficient for this game, given it's got to cache textures somewhere, and it needs ~3 GB of VRAM on average at 1080p. Should need less at low quality and lower resolutions, but you're riding up against the limits of your rig.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 14th Aug 2017 at 07:34.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you actually have 4 gigs of system ram only? :O That would be the major cause of stuttering.

When you run out of VRAM, the most typical symptom is not stuttering, but a major slowdown. Everything is relegated to GPU these days, not only because its core architecture, but also because GPU memory is much, much faster than the most expensive system RAM. E.g. my (very old) system RAM (DDR3) is clocked at 1600 MHz, while my GTX 1060 has 6 gigs of DDR5 RAM, clocked at 8000 MHz. That's why most of my games run like charm in 1440p (Dishonored 2 being one of few exceptions).

It's true, which may tell you something about how many modern 3d games I usually play. Thanks for the analysis, RAM is the cheapest thing to shoot. Just don't want to invest hugely into this platform anymore, as it's based on DDR3 and doesn't support faster processors than Ivy Bridge generation Core i5 / i7 with a Bios update. Except for not being able to play Dishonored 2 at all, I'm not hugely held back though in my "needs". Before buying I checked various Youtube recordings on lower end systems to check if it was worth the shot at all, and some claim to play this on 4GB. Makes naturally sense though, in particular if that "cached" RAM isn't actually available to the game. More recently Tyranny had a similar profile, but it's obviously a different kind of game. It just manifested into a few longer loading times, depending on the memory requirements of the map loaded up. Sorry for dragging this there, this should be about the game, I think I'll shoot a cheap stick or kit and put it in, and perhaps a video card which is required to play Dishonored 2 one day too. Thanks!

Chakat sex pillow
    Keep in mind that won't reduce slowdowns in VRAM-heavy situations, as normal RAM is a good deal slower than VRAM as Judith said. It also won't fix all slowdowns as the bottlenecks then become the CPU and GPU.

So, playing the demo for ~3 hours. I'm on two thoughts about this. On one hand, it's basically drawing from my least favourite LGS-descended game, System Shock 2, with the Metroidvania style backtracking, respawning enemies, scarce resources, and horror background. (Thank god the weapons don't degrade.) The difficulty curve is MUCH higher than in Dishonored, where I didn't have too many problems doing Mostly Flesh and Steel/Ghost/Clean Hands. Stealth seems a bit clumsy, or perhaps I'm still way too used to Thief when Arkane games do line-of-sight. On the other hand, I feel compelled to explore despite the risks involved (Phantoms are EXTREMELY annoying, presumably because I lack the ability to pour coffee on them as a cup) - mainly due to the intriguing atmosphere, environmental detail, and the plot's mystery. I don't even have a gun yet! (Though the GLUU gun is incredible.)

Performance seems OK on my system (Core 2 Duo/8 GB DDR2/750 Ti) - the hard drive is crunching like crazy; most likely swap as others have stated. I have everything set to low 720p and it's totally playable. Seems to be mostly around 30 with occasional rises to 60 and it can go down to 20. Perhaps a Yorkfield is a good investment if I want to milk this platform for all its worth....

I should probably turn down the difficulty to Easy though. I sometimes wish there'd be a granular difficulty like in SS1 (and a lesser extent, Dishonored 2) where I could just play it like a walking simulator merged with a platformer.