TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61116212223242526

Thread: The Witcher 3

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    Have you read the books?

Djikstra's an even more interesting (and sleazy) character if you've read the books where he shows up.
    Nope, but I looked up some of the story twists to contextualise the ending I got, and hoo boy, Emhyr's a real piece of work. The game sort of did away with the backstory in an attempt to make Ciri's self-sacrificing empress route look gallant and proper in an attempt to round out the story paths, but in the reality of the books that's probably one of the worse fates she could have.

I'll probably get around to the books someday, but I always have this feeling when I read translations that a lot of the original language's flavour has been lost.

If you have any interest in reading them you might want to consider it before getting into Blood and Wine, as one of Geralt's old traveling buddies is a central character in it. I'm sure it can be enjoyed just fine without knowing who the hell that person is who you're suddenly supposed to give a shit about, but since it's the final piece of the whole saga* and we're probably not getting any more might as well get everything out of it.

*fingers crossed for a prequel detailing Vesemir's wild youth

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, I don't really want to put Blood & Wine off for too long, so out of interest, which stories feature him? I might as well take a swing at those if I can.

I've finished off Hearts of Stone, and it was better than most of the main game, all things considered. A concentrated dose of Witcher goodness combined with good writing and better execution. Even though its quests have a backbone formed from clichés, it has plenty of fun with them, and I was greatly entertained.

Moderator and Priest
    Sulp, probably Emiel Regis Rohellec Terzieff-Godefroy, aka Regis.

One thing to keep in mind about Blood and Wine is that it doesn't feel merely like an expansion, but almost like a mini-sequel in its own right.

Chakat sex pillow
    Sounds like it's going to be a fun ride! Guess I'll wrap up some of the outstanding contracts from the main game before I get on with it.

In the meantime, I really liked the way Percival used the saz (I guess? It's the strummed/plucked string instrument) in the Hearts of Stone OST. I found an extended live version of the best track from Hearts of Stone:

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Sulp, probably Emiel Regis Rohellec Terzieff-Godefroy, aka Regis.
    Oh snap, that makes me want to pick it up even more now (stellar reviews aside)

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Well, I don't really want to put Blood & Wine off for too long, so out of interest, which stories feature him? I might as well take a swing at those if I can.
    He shows up in the third novel Baptism of Fire and sticks around for the rest of the saga, so you'd pretty much have to read the whole thing to get to his parts. Probably not really worth it just for the extra appreciation, it's perfectly enjoyable regardless.

Chakat sex pillow
    Fair enough, I think I'll start off with the first three books at least and wrap up some other gaming in the interim. Thanks, reizak!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Nope, but I looked up some of the story twists to contextualise the ending I got, and hoo boy, Emhyr's a real piece of work. The game sort of did away with the backstory in an attempt to make Ciri's self-sacrificing empress route look gallant and proper in an attempt to round out the story paths, but in the reality of the books that's probably one of the worse fates she could have.

I'll probably get around to the books someday, but I always have this feeling when I read translations that a lot of the original language's flavour has been lost.
    Yeah, it is weird how they kind of left out that huge plot detail about what's going on in Emhyr's head.

edit: Actually....

In the books, Emhyr actually does get Ciri. He gets cold feet, has a moment of self reflection, and lets her go without telling her that he's her father.

This lovely video was released today by CD Project to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the Witcher series:

Contains very light character spoilers. Though you could watch it even if you haven't played the 3rd game + Blood and Wine yet.

Watching this made me want to go play Witcher 3 again. Like catching up with an old friend.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61116212223242526