TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: There's a whole buncha stuff at itch.io

Level 10,000 achieved

There's a whole buncha stuff at itch.io

I mean I know we all have massive backlogs and are drowning in games, but if you ever look at your Steam library and don't find anything that's striking your fancy at the moment, you might wanna head over to itch.io and look at the Latest Games page. They get like 20 new games on there per day, most of them free, and several of them are not totally terrible either! There was some sorta GameBoy jam recently so there's a lot of that stuff on there right now, but I thought I'd highlight some other cool stuff as well.

CHESTO - At the checkout - do you ever look at the checkout clerk turning over items trying to find the barcode and think to yourself "man, that looks like fun" THEN THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU! I know it's supposed to be a social commentary on terrible minimum wage jobs or whatever, but it's kinda hard to focus on that when they made the game this fun to play.

THE NIGHT THAT SPEAKS - this is a very nice looking first person horror game but I'm afraid to play it because it says there are jumpscares. Someone else play it and tell me if its any good ok?

Cuckoo Castle - yeah this is one of those gbjam games. It's also a Metroidvania thing and not bad at all. I played a bit of it, rescued 4/10 villagers and defeated the first boss before getting lost.

Oldschool Nightmare - I guess this is for people who feel the new Doom game looks too modernized.

Darkness! Flashes! - A shootout on a stormy night. Looks like it might be a pretty fun local multiplayer game.

Tetraspace - a shameless ripoff of the upcoming Miegakure, but a nicely made one.

Ok that's it for now, I gotta hit the hay.

edit: SPECIAL BONUS GAME: DANNY DEVITO 2 (I fucking dare you to play this)

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    do you ever look at the checkout clerk turning over items trying to find the barcode and think to yourself "man, that looks like fun" THEN THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU! I know it's supposed to be a social commentary on terrible minimum wage jobs or whatever, but it's kinda hard to focus on that when they made the game this fun to play.
    The only reason that could ever be fun is due to it not being a real life thing that your ability to keep a roof, a bed and food in the fridge relies upon. Also, I doubt it's as hard on your arms, shoulders and back as it is in real life.

Level 10,000 achieved
    And also irl you don't get to fling the item at the shopping cart afterwards, like you do in the game.

Chakat sex pillow
    They sure do that here. Will there be a sequel that simulates the other side of the coin? I've always wanted a 'wait in the queue while someone's annoying kids keeping run back and forth over your feet while someone repeatedly prods your ass with their shopping cart behind you for no reason' simulator because WHY THE HELL NOT

After the walking simulator: the waiting simulator! Just like Theme Park, Theme Hospital and the like, we could have different games simulating what it's like to wait in line at the supermarket, the waiting room at the doctor's (with dentist and vet DLC to come), at customs. Lots of potential in that one! (And let's face it, if the guys who did The Stanley Parable worked on it and added a voice over, I'd probably buy it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    After the walking simulator: the waiting simulator! Just like Theme Park, Theme Hospital and the like, we could have different games simulating what it's like to wait in line at the supermarket, the waiting room at the doctor's (with dentist and vet DLC to come), at customs. Lots of potential in that one! (And let's face it, if the guys who did The Stanley Parable worked on it and added a voice over, I'd probably buy it.)
    There's already a game like this. It's called Postal 2.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    The only reason that could ever be fun is due to it not being a real life thing that your ability to keep a roof, a bed and food in the fridge relies upon. Also, I doubt it's as hard on your arms, shoulders and back as it is in real life.
    Kind of like Papers please?

verbose douchebag
    Pretty sure invading Normandy wasn't as much fun as Medal of Honour either. It's like there's some kind of disconnect between games and reality.

Pshawww!! I knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who lived in Freetown in 1993. Said it was just as much fun as Far Cry 2, everybody was having a blast!

too soon?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    Kind of like Papers please?
    I was actually thinking about Papers, Please in relation to Chesto. With games like these it's a balance act between conveying a the drudgery/stress of a horrible job, and also making the game actually fun enough that people will want to play it. The goals of narrative and the gameplay are directly at odds with eachother. Papers Please struck the balance quite well, but Chesto is perhaps a bit too much on the fun side.

Of course wargames rarely focus on the dark side of war. I guess Spec Ops:The Line did it quite well(I quit halfway through). But I did feel Far Cry 2 did a good job of being really fun and really depressing at the same time too.

I get some games off Itch every few months or so. The one that sticks in my memory right now was called lisa, a short retro top-down point and click adv/puzzle where you play a dog in a forest.

And another scifi remake where you're a robot in some future city looking for some McGuffin I'll have to find again. Edit. It's Cholo. Really cool aesthetic.
    Last edited by demagogue; 21st Aug 2015 at 08:20.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Pretty sure invading Normandy wasn't as much fun as Medal of Honour either. It's like there's some kind of disconnect between games and reality.
    Chesto seems to have a noticably different goal than the average military shooter. But that might just be me.

Besides, Chesto doesn't penalize you for accidentially breaking products you check out (not that I found a way to do so), or dropping them on the floor. I didn't play much of it, but as far as I saw there was no penality (outside some minor whiny texts) for taking long with the scanning.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    Chesto seems to have a noticably different goal than the average military shooter. But that might just be me.

Besides, Chesto doesn't penalize you for accidentially breaking products you check out (not that I found a way to do so), or dropping them on the floor. I didn't play much of it, but as far as I saw there was no penality (outside some minor whiny texts) for taking long with the scanning.
    Hey,

I am one of the devs behind CHESTO. Thanks a lot for playing and the nice feedback!

cheers,
    Josef

Level 10,000 achieved
    I went though itch.io and found a bunch of fun games for you guys YOUR WELCOME.

Ok, actually I found one really cool and original game and a couple alright ones.

Tower Engineer - Build a tower out of the random pieces you're given. Simple idea and presentation but very fun to play! My highscore: 84 pieces.

5 seconds of fire - jump around in a dark cave and find 5 thingies before the time runs out! Cool minimalist looks and it's fun enough for a few rounds, but there's really not much to it.

Star Rail - pretty good Sky Roads clone. Playable in-browser.

Level 10,000 achieved

People are still putting stuff on itch.io, and I'm still playing it, baby!

Pet the pup at a party is a game that's been getting a lot of press lately. And for good reason too. Obviously the premise of the game, that you're at a party and somewhere there's a pup and you have to pet it before the timer runs out, is a great idea. But beyond that it actually plays great too. The party is procedurally generated, and the mechanic of getting added time every time you pet a pup works very well. I managed to pet 11 pups, it was great.

Monolith is a 3D shmup with a great monochrome style and a cool lock-on mechanic which leads to some high-risk high-reward gameplay. I'm not usually into shmups, but this is pretty cool. Highscore: 25.

The Red Mummy is a cool, cinematic and weird platformer, with a branching storyline. In my ending I got gunned down by an astronaut.

Yep, lots of people are uploading stuff to Itch.io. Including some who frequent this board and decided over the course of a weekend to make a simple and quick low poly horror shooter where you hunt down ghosts. Not that I know any of them, of course

As well as a massive shitstorm when Confederate Express relaunched on there, after a 3 year disapearance.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Not bad, Buccura. Is there some randomness to how much HP a ghost has? Seemed like occasionally 1 clip would be enough to take one down, but other times not.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Not bad, Buccura. Is there some randomness to how much HP a ghost has? Seemed like occasionally 1 clip would be enough to take one down, but other times not.
    Yeah, it varies I think between 25-35.

Daniel Linnsen is my new go-to guy.
    https://managore.itch.io/

Pretty much every game he makes is quality or somehow interesting, and he makes a lot, and a number of them are truly great. Roguelight is my favorite. This last week I've been playing bird song, up to the point I don't know where to go next.
    I think he orders his games so the highest rated are at the top, and it goes down from there.

Other than that, ones I like ... I'll just go down my list, so some might be out of date or something I've mentioned before:

North. This is probably the itch game that's had the biggest impact on me, about trying to get refugee status on an alien world, or for that matter just a metaphor for day-to-day life in a foreign country and how alien and inscrutable the culture can be. It really resonated with my time in Japan.
    Memory of a Broken Dimension. Amazing glitchy puzzle kind of first-person game.
    Bendy and the Ink Machine is something I stumbled onto randomly on itch before I realized it was already a phenomenon.
    Exit 19 is a nighttime desert driving exploration game. Has a very henke vibe.
    Royals. Like a 1980s strategy/RPG on a 386. I don't think it's only nostalgia that makes me like this so much. It's witty and charming. The game itself isn't all that hard, but trying to figure the game out is the actual game, and that has some challenge in a fun way.
    Dire. A quick little Mad Max-like kind of survival race game.
    Stray. Pretty badass micro zelda-like.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yes, I like Daniel Linssen's stuff too, particularly Sandstorm and Outline.

North was interesting, but ultimately didn't really do it for me. Broken Dimension is... unlike anything else I've played. I've seen Exit 19 and Dire before but somehow never gotten around to playing them. Gotta remember to give them, and the other stuff on your list, a spin when I get home.