TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The game I miss most...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I have great memories of playing Pilotwings when the N64 came out, and since then, nothing (except for a 3DS version, but I'm not really into handheld stuff).
    If you ever get a VR headset, make sure to give Ultrawings a go. I've never played Pilotwings, but it frequently gets compared to it. Very fun flying game, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    * Space Flight sims. Highly popular in the 80s - early 2000s. I loved these. More so with good FMV . I know there's Elite, but that's strictly multiplayer.
    Pretty sure Elite has single player as well, but even in online play I rarely notice any other players. Sure, around stations you might spot the occasional other human player, but everyone mostly keeps to themselves. But if it's something more combat-focused with a more focused narrative you're after, you might wanna give House of the Dying Sun or Strike Suit Zero a whirl.
    Last edited by henke; 2nd Sep 2017 at 09:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I never tried Gothic, mainly because I'm a bit bigoted when it comes to German games. Most of the ones I've played felt like nice tries by developers with tin ears.
    You should, it's awesome.
    I'm replaying the series at the moment, and just made a post in the What are you playing ? thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    * Space Flight sims. Highly popular in the 80s - early 2000s. I loved these. More so with good FMV . I know there's Elite, but that's strictly multiplayer.
    I was thinking this myself. I've seen it mentioned occasionally that space sims seemed to be dying out, though honestly I've never tried researching just how much truth there is to that claim.

GIMME MAH FREESPACE 3; I NEED TO RIP DA SHIVANS A NEW ONE OR FIFTY!!!

I was going to say sims in general. I played a bit of the Janes Longbow sim, but really what I miss are the sci fi sim games. Mech Warrior 2, Heavy Gear, Tie Fighter, Freespace, Star Crusader etc.

I reaaaaally miss being able to play my ATI Rage version of Mechwarrior 2. My parents still have the old Aptiva Pentium 133 MHz in their basement somewhere.

It's such a shame that now that we've got machines that could depict Star Wars space battles at high fidelity, all the actual space dogfighting we get in Star Wars games is simple action fare, even though it does look gorgeous. If we could have an actual X-Wing and TIE Fighter remade in, say, the Frostbite engine, that would be massively cool. Doubly so with a HOTAS, triply so in VR.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    I was going to say sims in general. I played a bit of the Janes Longbow sim, but really what I miss are the sci fi sim games. Mech Warrior 2, Heavy Gear, Tie Fighter, Freespace, Star Crusader etc.

I reaaaaally miss being able to play my ATI Rage version of Mechwarrior 2. My parents still have the old Aptiva Pentium 133 MHz in their basement somewhere.
    Well you have the Harebrained Schemes Mechwarrior game which should be coming out soon-ish. Though it's not first person. If that game interests you, then you may also want to look into the "Front Mission" series of turn based tactical JRPGs. Been going strong since the the super nintendo days (if you use fan translation hacks).

I agree that there needs to be another mech sim...would love to play one in VR!

Mechwarrior 2 had VR support back in the day. I remember playing that in VR once back in the 90s. Was interesting.

I didn't know there was actual consumer-grade VR back in the '90s! (Let's not mention the Virtual Boy.) Do you remember what the headset was called? I imagine it must've been the size of a pickup truck...

Found it. Doesn't look like head tracking is in though?

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I didn't know there was actual consumer-grade VR back in the '90s! (Let's not mention the Virtual Boy.) Do you remember what the headset was called? I imagine it must've been the size of a pickup truck...
    There was. Cost almost 1k in cash. Can't recall the name of it, but it worked in a few games like MechWarrior 2 as mentioned, Doom 2 + a few others.

I can't seem to find a list online of which games supported it back then, but there was definitely a few.

I'm trying to imagine the point of a VR headset without head tracking. If you can't look around, isn't it just fancy 3D glasses?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Pretty much. Other games in the video Jesh linked use headtracking though, so the headset was capable of it, just that most games weren't programmed to support it.

I can't remember if the one I tried out had that or not.