TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Oreo Oreo, Wherefore Art Thou

Chakat sex pillow

Oreo Oreo, Wherefore Art Thou

I adore UI upgrades, generally because they give rise to this sort of 20,000-word salad that tosses up a general impression of what you can expect, and with Ars Technica you generally get some added vinegar for extra punch. Their Mac OS X UI reviews are legendary, and those alone would justify the existence of Ars, which is a very generous site indeed.

Anyway, in the run-up to yet another Android update, I noticed something weird. Google were going to replace their blob emoticons (emojis if you want to be kawaii, deshou?) with something more standard, more recognisable, more... round. Predictably, some people are going to miss having visual shorthand articulated by the bastard lovechild of flubber and a bowl of banana custard, which I think is essentially a form of Smartphone Stockholm Syndrome via being forced to put up with something for years until you internalise it as a weird, forbidden sort of love.

But that's just me, emoticon/smiley fascist extraordinaire. What do you guys think?

Also, if you went to see The Emoji Movie, are you a truly terrible human being, or just pretending to be one?
    Last edited by Sulphur; 5th Sep 2017 at 10:01.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I've never seen these blob smileys. The ones in the Messages app on Galaxy S6 are round.

When is this Oreo thing coming out, anyway?

Chakat sex pillow
    In all my Google chatting, they've been the standard. Could be Samsung just replaced them for the Galaxy? Je ne sais pas.

The update is out already if you have a recent Google phone. As to when phones from third party OEMs roll it out, well, there's traditionally a delay of 3+ months, part of which this Android revision is meant to address by making things easier for them. Does that mean you'll see an update sooner? Maaaaybe.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah that does sound like something Samsung would do. I did just download an update, but it seems I do still have 7.0, Nougat. :|

Wasn't clear from the thread title if this would be about the new Android OS or the 'Blacks For Trump' guy.

Freaking emojis annoy me so much. Who came up with that crap? Probably the same wannabe "UI designers" who "improved" Firefox's UI into the ground over the last 6-7 years. Hngngnngnhnhngn

And who the hell kisses and winks at the same time.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    Wasn't clear from the thread title if this would be about the new Android OS or the 'Blacks For Trump' guy.
    If he were an Oreo, he'd be a Fudge Creme, and thus outside the context of this discussion because who the hell eats those.

Moderator and Priest
    olol look at the Android scrubs all up-ins.

you cant just post some fly by shit Daxy

I miss the old paperclip guy from Word.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_ivocha View Post
    Freaking emojis annoy me so much. Who came up with that crap?
    Shigetaka Kurita. Any more questions?

Moderator and Priest
    I'd look him up, but I'm afraid I'd come across some Hello Kitty stuff.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Somehow I don't think that was an actual question.

I looked him up. Seemed like a happy guy who was glad to have invented emoji. Incidentally, his favourite one is the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Somehow I don't think that was an actual question.
    I also wanted to post/whine about "Who the hell thought to add the emojis to Unicode?", but now I'm afraid ZB might answer it.

I've owned Android phones from HTC, Sony, Motorola, and Samsung (twice) and this is the first time I've ever seen a 'blob' emoji.

Also, seconding this:

Probably the same wannabe "UI designers" who "improved" Firefox's UI into the ground over the last 6-7 years. Hngngnngnhnhngn

Blob smileys: making you cringe every time you try to type a perfectly innocent text smiley into a Google Talk conversation and then want to type a screen's worth of meaningless nonsense just to flush the hideous blob off the screen.

Freaking emojis annoy me so much.
    I haven't even come to terms with the "numerals" sign becoming some dumbass hashtag crap. #nevermind the emojis.

(#I'm SO Old)

I hate emoji's as well. Just as bad as the hash tag bullshit.

I'm so old a Hash Tag is a very relaxed day to me.

On topic: I really liked the blob smileys, but of course they just enhanced the eternal problem of varying smiley sets ever so slightly changing the meaning of smileys, like when you post one in Signal and it gets turned into a Unicode standard smiley. Or worse: It looks like winking to you but comes out as a seizure on the other end.

I'm happy enough to get Oreo on my phone (someday) but I'm rather ignorant on it's features. I just hope Sony doesn't use the chance to drop more bloatware.

Moderator and Priest

Still Subjective
    I got Android O and this makes no difference to me because I never use emojis.

Is it all that changed? Wait, is this a zero?

On related news: It turns out people generally don't enjoy to spend much time with their smartphones. 61% are unhappy with the Facebook app but spend nearly an hour a day with it.
    People are consistently happier with apps, the less time they use them. In other words, a good app takes as little of your time as possible.
    source: https://qz.com/1050338/your-apps-are...you-miserable/, https://inthemoment.io/tws-results
    Last edited by Kolya; 8th Sep 2017 at 17:54.