TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Any day is a TTLG coop day! (was: TTLG coop Saturdays)

I'm hoping I'll manage the tutorials and character generation before we play today. It's a packed day due to us just having returned from our holidays.

Did you play Helldivers alone or with others? Neither it nor Magicka appealed that much to be beforehand, but hey, freebies! Also, they seem to be the kind of games that improve exponentially when played with friends, both for the actual, systematic teamplay and for the inadvertent chaos. And I expect that calling down a shuttle and being squashed by it as it lands never gets old... as long as it happens to your mates.

Edit: Did the tutorials for captain and tactical, so I'm ready to chuck some glowing murderballs at enemy spaceboats!
    Last edited by Thirith; 2nd Sep 2017 at 08:20.

Level 10,000 achieved
    This week, the TTLG Crew passes the Kobayashi Maru with flying colors!

Hey, 6 out of 380 ain't bad!

I greatly enjoyed that session. The game itself isn't fantastic; even after those first couple of missions, I would say it's shallow and repetitive. Yet when you're on the bridge of the Aegis with friends, it does feel like you're the crew of a Starfleet vessel. It's a shame that (at least from what we've seen so far) they've focused on the tech aspects of Star Trek and none of the adventure or diplomacy, but those would probably be difficult to do well in VR coop. The game could've been more ambitious, mind you, but what we've got is still very enjoyable.

Thing What Kicks
    I think it's definitely a much stronger experience in co-op, and I think without friends to bungle along with, it certainly wouldn't be anywhere near as fun.
    But the feeling of presence, even with the Roddenbury Puppet Arm Movements™, is really, really good. And once you get used to the control panels, it becomes second nature, and only serves to deepen the simulation feel.

It'll be great to have a 4-player session next time

Thanks for posting the vids every week as well henke. I always enjoy watching them.

Malf, you missed your chance to shout "ramming speed, Mr. henke!"

It's not VR (yet), but there's a co-op submarine game called Wolfpack. No idea how it is, but looks like Silent Hunter with other players controlling stations on the same sub. There's a free demo on the site if it interests you.

Thing What Kicks
    Hah, I was thinking after our Bridge Crew session today how cool a similar VR approach could be for Silent HUnter

What I found was that I wasn't a particularly good crew member: I often tended to act independently rather than waiting for the captain to give orders. I'm wondering if this, at least during later, more difficult missions, will be an issue. How was that for you, Malf? Did you feel that it's better if the captain coordinates things and the crew respect the chain of command a bit more, or did we usually read your mind anyway and there was no need for us to wait for you to say your orders out loud?

On a different note, next week we're playing Arma 3 again, so anyone is welcome.

The next Arma 3 coop session is happening soon:

Date: Saturday, 9 September 2017
    Time: 4-6pm UK time

As always, I'll be online a bit before 4pm to set up the server and check who's on Steam. I'll try to launch the server with a lobby mission 15 minutes before the session starts, and I'll post the IP and password on the Steam group, under the Events tab.
    You can find the details here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2364920

Thing What Kicks
    I think it worked pretty well. But I think it would get better playing over time as we'd all get more used to the roles and working together.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I did feel like the Helm gameplay was meaty and fun enough, but was less enthusiastic about Tactical, and from what little I tried of Engineering it didn't seem that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Did you play Helldivers alone or with others? Neither it nor Magicka appealed that much to be beforehand, but hey, freebies!
    IIRC I actually played a bit of Magicka with Jesh. Helldivers, probably just solo.

Thing What Kicks
    I've not played Helldivers, but I played through almost the entirety of the first Magicka with some friends in co-op, and while it was a little linear, it was still a damn good co-op time.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh btw, this weekend it's my turn to go to Stockholm and miss out on a co-op session. Sorry!

Thirith, I mean't to ask you last session but I forgot, how was your Stockholm trip? I guess it must've been pretty amazing if your wife liked it so much she started learning Swedish afterwards.

Heh. My wife learning Swedish was actually the reason for the trip; she was there for an intensive course of two weeks (she's one year into learning the language), and I joined her during the second week. It was mostly nice and mellow for me; she spent most of the time at school, doing homework or getting Steam freebies for me.

Anyway, shame you're not there on Saturday, but next time will come around before long. Enjoy Stockholm!

please let me be awake cos i love me some arma3

*coughalarmclockcough*

Thing What Kicks
    Might be worth checking out: Arrowhead's version of Gauntlet's on sale on GOG at the mo.

That's another one of the freebies I got.

Level 10,000 achieved
    We don't have any particular game scheduled for tomorrow do we?

I'm gonna BOLDLY GO ahead and suggest another session of Star Trek Bridge Crew.

Thing What Kicks
    I'd be up for that
    Will we have four of us tomorrow?

Sounds good to me. Depending on how much the mix up the missions, I wouldn't mind switching to something else (Rec Room?) after an hour, because while the game is fun, it doesn't seem particularly varied. I'm also up for two full hours of Trekkin', mind you, if that's what you guys want.

I'm up for Trekking, but also Onward has a free weekend. Maybe outside of our regular timeslot on Sunday around noon or something.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Installing Onward, yeah, that looks like something we should give a whirl as well.

Also installing Onward. I think originally it was versus mode only; it seems it now has coop as well.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Eventul VR co-op session tonight. We threw frisbees in Rec Room, finished most of the missions in Star Trek Bridge Crew, shot at soldiers in the desert of Onward, Jesh had to go feed the cat.

Well, you guys shot at soldiers, I just shot at Malf.

You remember that weird large... thing we came upon in the Star Trek: Bridge Crew mission where we also found what looked like the remains of a planet?

I'm pretty sure it's this, the planet killer from the TOS episode "The Doomsday Machine":

... I'm a nerd, aren't I?

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast